Brake Pads do not fit

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I remember that the first Textar pads that I bought for the ATE front brakes on my 2000 VW Passat 2.8V6 4Motion, from ECP were listed on the manufacturer's web cat as being only for Japan market cars.

Jay280

Oct 7, 2015
Whenever a brake pad has a crescent shaped cutout on it's anti-noise shim this is called a piston cutout, and its there to reduce the pressure on the pads leading edge to help reduce the chances of brake noise.
VAG in their wisdom changed the wear indicator sides from the LH side on the older Volkswagen Group A6 (PQ46) (Sharan) platform to the RH side on our newer MQB platform cars (Leon 5F) This means the pads are not interchangeable between the two (even though the back plates are dimensionally the same).

Breck have 2x 'similar' part numbers,
24738 00 551 00 = Sharan/Alhambra
24738 00 551 10 = Leon Cupra/GTI

Afraid you were given the wrong 24738 00 551 00 part number for your car.
If the brakes are quiet then don't worry about it - but if you get brake noise this would be my first port of call.

View attachment 32342

From Breck's own catalogue:

View attachment 32340

View attachment 32341
Not had a single squeak (unlike the brembo pads as not only did they knock and move in the carrier they were squeaking like mad). Did a few miles in it over weekend too so happy days. The pads didn't cost me again as the supplier gave them to me to replace the last set so can't complain.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Reactions: SuperV8

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
I remember that the first Textar pads that I bought for the ATE front brakes on my 2000 VW Passat 2.8V6 4Motion, from ECP were listed on the manufacturer's web cat as being only for Japan market cars.
They still do!
2000 was a cross over year between the B5 & B5.5.
I would rather trust what Textar list vs what ECP list.
The differences are minor and would probably still fit - note the difference in piston back plate around the ears:

1655146762060.png

1655147010522.png

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Yes, a very late B5, built as a customer factory order in early May 2000, there were already as much B5.5 content as the basic design would allow, I suppose to assist on introducing new supplies of parts. Ordering it by personally importing it via Intercars in Brunssum to save a lot of cash due to the permitted EU VAT agreements meant placing the order in August 1999 and VW slowed down these types of orders so much that delivery was in late May 2000, for no other reason than to try to stop people personally importing cars.
The first time that I went into my local VW dealer's parts department, the parts guy printed off a copy of CAR DATA and told me to make sure that I used it when buying parts - probably for the reason that this car was built near model change time. Anyway, from that point onwards I always made sure that I requested a copy of CAR DATA for all my VW Group cars, and keep on suggesting that others do as well.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members