Brake upgrade on 2.0tdi

Jul 20, 2020
Ordered new set of coilovers to install sometime next week and noticed my discs are starting to run low. Was thinking about getting a remap done by a local tdi tuner next month and was wondering if i was okay just putting some decent discs and pads in or is it worth doing a form of upgrade? cars completely standard currently.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Now if you have 288mm front discs, then upgrading to 312mm is not too difficult.

If you only have 256mm brakes, then you have FS111 callipers that bolt directly to the hub carriers, and to upgrade you will need to buy different hub carriers, and that is a big more cost and work.

Jul 20, 2020
I think they will be 256mm then, getting both the wheels off sometime this week and will have a look at them what would be a rough price on a full set of FS111 calipers?

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
When you say 'hub carrier' do you mean steering knuckle? If you do, replacing them isn't a massive job but you'd need to find a donor car at a breakers and you'd need a front wheel alignment afterwards. You'd also need to bleed the new calipers and you might need new rubber brake lines if the fitting on the caliper is different.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I think they will be 256mm then, getting both the wheels off sometime this week and will have a look at them what would be a rough price on a full set of FS111 calipers?

Why would you want o find a set of FS111 callipers, they are only for 256mm front brakes, which you think that you already have - check the outer side of the front callipers and if they are FS111 then that will be cast into the calliper fist body?
The calliper carrier fits onto the bottom of the front struts, so maybe you could almost call it the steering knuckle, but for me, I'd only ever call a "steering knuckle" a part that bolts directly at each end to a solid part of the chassis or suspension, these hub carriers use the top of the strut as the upper pivot point.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Terminology, schmerminology ?. Either way, it'll make a cool project!
Yup, I suppose it all depends on which models/makes or cars you have worked on in the past - now old Land Rovers really did have "steering knuckles" - no denying that.

Edit:- shame on SEAT for not fitting out that version of Ibiza with 288mm front brakes, cheap skates!

Reactions: Woody_72

Silleyobt

Aug 4, 2014
Wiltshire
Could someone confirm, 184 2.0 TDI FR Leon 16 plate. Far as I’m aware all standard brakes. Is it the the 288 or 312 front disks and 253 or 272 rear. Thanks guys

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise