Bridgstone RE070

Issue24

Looking for some summer tyres, running GSD3 all round at the moment, but fancy a change.

Looking at getting a pair of Bridgstone RE070’s

My questions are,
1. has anybody tried these and what was your opinion of them?

2.where to put them? I though I had read somewhere that the rear wear characteristics of the Leon TDi FR prohibited them from been put on the front after been on the back for 8000 miles. Is this right or completely wrong?

Regards

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
only available as 225-45-17 in UK tho ??

tyre of choice in combe saloons but only this size is e-marked

Issue24

Ordered a pair of these today, should be fitted friday,
Will let you lot know how i get on with them!

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
Just shod my car with Bridgestone Potenza RE050a's.. WOAH.

Awesome tyre. The tread pattern is massive, as well.

Highly recommend this Potenza line.

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
I guess that's one for your favourite tyre retailer.

They're in the same price bracket though. I paid about £110 per tyre at a fast-fit convenience garage on a Sunday.

Always pay more for convenience.

Potenza_RE050A.jpg

Last edited:

Wackojacko

Aug 21, 2006
Maidenhead, Berks
I've got a couple of these on the the fronts........ right down on there wear limiters and there still giving good grip in the wet and dry.......

Still going to give the GSD3's a go next week tho. Still like to hear peoples thoughts about how thses compare

DeanoLCR

I have got the GSD3's on my LCR and done 1000 miles on them and they stick like **** to a blanket. Would recomend them to anyone. Just as good in the wet than the dry.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
if you are getting GSD3 make sure they are not made in China/Asia Pacific as they will most likely have wear issues.

be warned

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
I have these Potenzas on the front of mine at the minute. I've never run GSD3s, but compared to the Dunlops I have on many times before the Bridgstones are "fine". Probably about the same grip levels as the Dunlops, slightly more if anything. Never properly run them in the wet/off-wet (which is where I think the Dunlops were ace).

Corner grip was impressive from the off, straight line grip wasn't as good at first, but now they're scrubbed in they're as good. They seem less crashy over harsh bumps (matchsticks left in the road, small twigs, you know the kind of thing) than the dunlops, but this doesn't effect turn-in or make them "drifty" AFAIK.

If you look at the tyre, the sidewall is more "angled" than the dunlops, whose shoulder is squarer. So, the bridgstones look slightly "Euro", maybe why they're less harsh. They seem to have a little more rim protection than the Dunlops and they're asymetric rather than directional (I think the dunlops are directional).

HTH

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
But don't anyone think that RE040's compare to the performance of the Potenzas higher up the range, because they really, really don't.

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
RE040's were OE spec on Cupra/FR Tdi's IIRC.

RE050's are generally standard spec on Saloons due to their higher load rating. BMW use them in run-flat form on 5 series etc.

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
that's where the "a" comes in :)

Bridgestone fit this tyre to Ferraris, "sporty compacts", executive saloons and hit-hatches.. basically.

Last edited:
if you are getting GSD3 make sure they are not made in China/Asia Pacific as they will most likely have wear issues.

be warned

stupid question but how do you tell...? is there a 'made in China' type thingy on them somewhere?

am curious because I've had my GSD's for 12k so far and they're wearing, but have plenty left in them.....

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
stupid question but how do you tell...? is there a 'made in China' type thingy on them somewhere?

am curious because I've had my GSD's for 12k so far and they're wearing, but have plenty left in them.....

Look in the Off Topic forum and there is a thread about it, pointing to another forum with the info you need:)

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
The fact that I've been told that <3mm tread and your F1's are useless made me STEER (hahahaha comedy gold) away from these tyres.

If cash was no object.. Or this car was a weekend toy. I'd be all about F1 GDSs.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.