Bridgstone vs Goodyear vs Michelin

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I thought I'd share my experience with some tyres.

Bridgestone Potenza
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5
Michelin Pilot Sport 4

We read tyre reviews, and they're useful, but a bit of a blunt tool. A tyre effectively becomes part of the car's suspension, so different tyres will suit different cars. Spring rate, dampers, even the weight of the car will effect how well a tyre works on your particular car. In a test, they typically fit ten different tyres to a BMW or a Golf and throw it round a track. This tells you something about how the tyres work on that car, not yours, and isn't as good as living with them in the real, pot-holed, world.

We have two Leon FRs that came with the Bridgstones. One is a facelift diesel ST the other a pre-facelift petrol hatch but both are 150hp and both have 18'' wheels. Having driven both on the stock Bridgstones and now having the Michelin on the ST and Goodyears on the hatch I think I have a pretty good idea of how the tyres compare on the Leon FR. All have done hundreds of miles on the motorway, city streets and some of the best Scottish highland roads this country has. So which one is the best? Well, it depends.

The suspension on the facelift and pre-facelift cars is not the same. The best way I can explain it is that the facelift car feels like the SE springs and dampers with thicker anti-roll bars. I actually think that may be exactly what they've done but the bottom line is that the later car is softer over rough road but is less settled, bobs around more but still corners flatter than the SE. The pre-facelift is firmer, tighter but prone to being jittery. More on that later.

Bridgstone
They are a firm tyre but still comfortable on the softer facelift car. Grip is ok if nothing special, not great in the rain and a bit noisy on the motorway. On the pre-facelift these tyres are terrible. They work against the suspension feeling too harsh around town but not settling at speed. They never feel right and I assumed that the suspension set up on the car was simply not very good. Silly Spaniards. I was wrong. It is these tyres. They are fine on the facelift but a mistake on the pre-facelift.

Michelin
In terms of ride comfort these tyres are pretty similar to the bridgestones. They are firm tyres, actually a bit firmer than the Bridgestones, but on the face-lift car it's ok. However, the grip is noticeably better, turn-in sharper and they generally inspire more confidence. If you want sporty handling these tyres are great but they're not going to help comfort around town or on the motorway at all. Personally, I wouldn't put these on the pre-facelift car.

Goodyear
My desire to post this was really about these tyres. I love them! I don't think I've ever felt that a car was transformed so dramatically as changing the pre-facelift FR from the Bridgestones to the Asymmetric 5s. It's like everything just clicks into place and the car works as you feel it should. It is better everywhere! Around town the car is more comfortable, no longer crashing over every rut or crack. On the motorway there is noticeably less tyre noise and the car feels more stable. On fun roads they shine. The suspension is fixed! It is no longer jittery but settled and smooth. Turn in is sharp and grip high but they don't quite provide the feedback of the Michelins. Let's face, these cars are fairly blunt anyway and the trade off it totally worth it. With the Goodyears on the car feels right. It feels the way you would set up if you knew how to. I can't overstate how much these tyres transform the car. Previously, I found it a bit annoying. Neither fish nor foul, never quite right anywhere. Now it's the car I always want to take. It makes the face-lift feel dull and underdamped, even with the Michelins on.

On other versions of the Leon, I'm guessing. The Goodyears are perfect on the pre-facelift FR and I think they'd be great on a Cupra and nice on an SE or facelift FR too. If you want ultimate handling and don't care about the ride the Michelins are excellent but you're not going to enjoy the overly firm ride on the pre-facelift FR, I assume they'd be hard on the Cupra too?

Both are better than the Bridgestones which are as firm as the Michelin, without offering the grip or feel, and way short of the balance the Goodyears have. The Asymmetric 5s dramatically illustrate why spending a bit more on good tyres is totally worth it.

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
Great write up. I own pre facelift fr and am due new front tyres. I had changed the rears to pilot sport 4 and the grip was improved over previous tyres potenza. I will however take your advice and fit goodyears to the front and will, provide feedback when they are fitted. Thanks 👍

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Great write up. I own pre facelift fr and am due new front tyres. I had changed the rears to pilot sport 4 and the grip was improved over previous tyres potenza. I will however take your advice and fit goodyears to the front and will, provide feedback when they are fitted. Thanks 👍
Personally, I wouldn't do that. Much as I like the Goodyears I prefer to have the same tyres on all corners. Do you still have the Bridgstones on the front?

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Sorry, not paying attention. Yes you do. If you fit the Goodyears to the front the difference will be dramatic. You could try swapping the wheels front to back which will let you see what the PS4s are like on the front?

Reactions: adam davies

Paulo16

Jun 13, 2019
Huddersfield
I have a 2013 Fr tdi and have the Goodyear’s on and have for a couple of years. Perfect for these cars and good value too. Had them on a Golf gti mk7 too and equally as good on that car. They run quietly as well and not crashy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Out of curiosity, which Potenzas were they? S001s or RE050As? Or something completely different? I had Bridgestone Turranza ER300 Ecopia on the 2.0TDI Leon, and those didn't have any grip most of the time despite plenty or tread left. Then had the RE050As on a lower powered Ibiza, and they were decent.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
I thought I'd share my experience with some tyres.

Bridgestone Potenza
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5
Michelin Pilot Sport 4

We read tyre reviews, and they're useful, but a bit of a blunt tool. A tyre effectively becomes part of the car's suspension, so different tyres will suit different cars. Spring rate, dampers, even the weight of the car will effect how well a tyre works on your particular car. In a test, they typically fit ten different tyres to a BMW or a Golf and throw it round a track. This tells you something about how the tyres work on that car, not yours, and isn't as good as living with them in the real, pot-holed, world.

We have two Leon FRs that came with the Bridgstones. One is a facelift diesel ST the other a pre-facelift petrol hatch but both are 150hp and both have 18'' wheels. Having driven both on the stock Bridgstones and now having the Michelin on the ST and Goodyears on the hatch I think I have a pretty good idea of how the tyres compare on the Leon FR. All have done hundreds of miles on the motorway, city streets and some of the best Scottish highland roads this country has. So which one is the best? Well, it depends.

The suspension on the facelift and pre-facelift cars is not the same. The best way I can explain it is that the facelift car feels like the SE springs and dampers with thicker anti-roll bars. I actually think that may be exactly what they've done but the bottom line is that the later car is softer over rough road but is less settled, bobs around more but still corners flatter than the SE. The pre-facelift is firmer, tighter but prone to being jittery. More on that later.

Bridgstone
They are a firm tyre but still comfortable on the softer facelift car. Grip is ok if nothing special, not great in the rain and a bit noisy on the motorway. On the pre-facelift these tyres are terrible. They work against the suspension feeling too harsh around town but not settling at speed. They never feel right and I assumed that the suspension set up on the car was simply not very good. Silly Spaniards. I was wrong. It is these tyres. They are fine on the facelift but a mistake on the pre-facelift.

Michelin
In terms of ride comfort these tyres are pretty similar to the bridgestones. They are firm tyres, actually a bit firmer than the Bridgestones, but on the face-lift car it's ok. However, the grip is noticeably better, turn-in sharper and they generally inspire more confidence. If you want sporty handling these tyres are great but they're not going to help comfort around town or on the motorway at all. Personally, I wouldn't put these on the pre-facelift car.

Goodyear
My desire to post this was really about these tyres. I love them! I don't think I've ever felt that a car was transformed so dramatically as changing the pre-facelift FR from the Bridgestones to the Asymmetric 5s. It's like everything just clicks into place and the car works as you feel it should. It is better everywhere! Around town the car is more comfortable, no longer crashing over every rut or crack. On the motorway there is noticeably less tyre noise and the car feels more stable. On fun roads they shine. The suspension is fixed! It is no longer jittery but settled and smooth. Turn in is sharp and grip high but they don't quite provide the feedback of the Michelins. Let's face, these cars are fairly blunt anyway and the trade off it totally worth it. With the Goodyears on the car feels right. It feels the way you would set up if you knew how to. I can't overstate how much these tyres transform the car. Previously, I found it a bit annoying. Neither fish nor foul, never quite right anywhere. Now it's the car I always want to take. It makes the face-lift feel dull and underdamped, even with the Michelins on.

On other versions of the Leon, I'm guessing. The Goodyears are perfect on the pre-facelift FR and I think they'd be great on a Cupra and nice on an SE or facelift FR too. If you want ultimate handling and don't care about the ride the Michelins are excellent but you're not going to enjoy the overly firm ride on the pre-facelift FR, I assume they'd be hard on the Cupra too?

Both are better than the Bridgestones which are as firm as the Michelin, without offering the grip or feel, and way short of the balance the Goodyears have. The Asymmetric 5s dramatically illustrate why spending a bit more on good tyres is totally worth it.
Interesting, I brought Goodyear Asy 5's last year but noted there were several versions of the 5's each with different EU tyre gradings. I brought the Audi OE version in the end - which had the lowest/best of all three markers.

which version do you have?
Oh and mine are 17's

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
Changed all four Conti's on my '19 Leon Cupra to Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 and was blown away by the difference. Handling, noise and like you say crashing over bumps was all vastly superior.

My new Cupra Ateca is on Bridgestone's which I feel are a bit muted - I'll wait for Costco to run their deal again and do my best to burn through these..

I had Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on my Golf GTD and they were good, but feel the Goodyear would trump them.

DigitalSushi

Sep 7, 2020
I bought a cheapy deal for 4 Eagle asymetric 4 at Costco (got £200 off for four tyres)

So the first 6k miles or so were good, decent grip in the dry, good water clearing (i live in Manchester so really needed) and very quiet compare to the 4s. Also comfort on the bumps did seem marginally better though its a relative thing with the 19" wheels

But after that this is where things started to go a bit poor on the fronts with goodyear. I noticed the dry grip really starting to fall away, more tramping and movement when i tried to push on. when the roads were damp i seemed to have little grip at all and felt like i had zero confidence in the front end. And as for heavy rain they are utterly useless now though i did look at the tread last night having return from the other half's and realised they are a bit slick'y..

Now I will whole heartedly admit that my tires do get pounded quite a lot (i have the luxury of often being asked to go to north Scotland on business trips so you know...) so really under a bit more noraml runs you should get better than me. But certainly the goodyear i actually though initially were better but the 4s seemed to give me a longer resilience to my stupidity

DigitalSushi

Sep 7, 2020
So what you're saying is that you destroyed your tyres and are now surprised they no longer work? ;0)
yup..

what i was trying to say if the whole 6k miles might not be a true representative figure for non stupid people like me :)

slartibartfast

Jan 25, 2015
Worcestershire
I need some new tyres right now, And I will go for the Goodyear, but what weigh rating should I chose? I did not realise that was a thing, but there are different rated tyres at different prices on black circles. The cheapest one for my car is 94 rated, so should I go for that one?

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Changed all four Conti's on my '19 Leon Cupra to Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 and was blown away by the difference. Handling, noise and like you say crashing over bumps was all vastly superior.
Interesting this, I think I’ll have to do the same. Still on my original Contis on my R ST and the noise and ride quality, especially over bumps is really really irritating.

Everyone seems to go for the Pilot Sport 4’s for the handling, but for me noise and comfort would be most important and even if they are slightly better grip than the Contis I’d be happy

Reactions: bgb

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I need some new tyres right now, And I will go for the Goodyear, but what weigh rating should I chose?
I didn't know there were different weight ratings beyond normal and XL (Extra Load). I've noticed that most high-performance tyres seem to be XL. The Goodyears I have are XL.

Despite being XL, so having stronger sidewalls etc, they're obviously not too harsh. I've known people who bought cars with run-flat tyres on and changed the tyres because they were so hard.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Everyone seems to go for the Pilot Sport 4’s for the handling, but for me noise and comfort would be most important...
The PS4s are more direct feeling and do have very high grip levels. The Goodyears feel a bit softer but they're still enjoyable and satisfying to drive hard. The difference is that the Goodyears are nice the rest of the time too!

How they compare to the Contis, no idea.

Reactions: slartibartfast

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
I need some new tyres right now, And I will go for the Goodyear, but what weigh rating should I chose? I did not realise that was a thing, but there are different rated tyres at different prices on black circles. The cheapest one for my car is 94 rated, so should I go for that one?
You need to choose the load rating - in conjunction with your tyre size.
For 225-45-17's a 91 or 94XL rated tyre is ok - the 91 would be more comfort biased - if you like steering get an 94XL rated tyre - if you cruze up and down the motorway get a none XL 91 rated tyre.
For 225-40-18's it NEEDS to be XL rated due to the low side wall height.

For my 225-45-17's Goodyear Asy5's there were 4 versions, the 91 rated version had worse efficiency rating (D). I went with the 94XL Audi OE tyre which has an A efficiency rating and lower noise.