Bridgstone vs Goodyear vs Michelin

SamM2342

Jul 7, 2021
Wexford Ireland
Any high hp car should get 94xl tyres regardless to drive even if only in motorway standard loads will get to hot and split on the inside side walls every time you won't see the splits till you need a puncture repair or tyre goes bang any tyre that's going to be pushed needs to be extra load there's very little in the price difference generally they feel the exact same my opinion is steer clear of cheaper standard load...

Reactions: Mr Pig
Oct 9, 2021
Some good info here, thanks largely to Mr Pig. I am about to get some 225/40 x18 Goodyears for my front, but was looking for ASY3's - I read a couple of reports somewhere and they seemed to earn slightly more respect than 5's. Am I taking the wrong route and should go straight for the 5's?

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I read a couple of reports somewhere and they seemed to earn slightly more respect than 5's.
I would be extremely surprised is Goodyear managed to actually make the new tyre worse and did not realize it. The tests I've seen suggest they did not and the 5 is a better tyre.

Oct 9, 2021
I would be extremely surprised is Goodyear managed to actually make the new tyre worse and did not realize it. The tests I've seen suggest they did not and the 5 is a better tyre.
Yep, been watching a test by Tyrereviews, I'll be getting the 5's!

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
Any high hp car should get 94xl tyres regardless to drive even if only in motorway standard loads will get to hot and split on the inside side walls every time you won't see the splits till you need a puncture repair or tyre goes bang any tyre that's going to be pushed needs to be extra load there's very little in the price difference generally they feel the exact same my opinion is steer clear of cheaper standard load...
Why does the inner sidewall get hotter than the outer?

Reactions: Mr Pig

SamM2342

Jul 7, 2021
Wexford Ireland
I'd imagine it's more weight distribution rather than as in the car has a bit of negative camber from stock which means that top of wheels lean in a bit so when your hammering it everything straightens up but in reality that not 99%of the time in these cars generally we cruise so there's extra pressure and weight on inner shoulders... That would be my educated guess.. 👍

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Only downside to Eagle F1 assy 5’s are the road noise.

However for the handling it’s an acceptable compromise

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I don't think they are a noisy tyre. Both the Bridgstones and the PS4s are worse.
I went Bridgestone Potenza’s to Eagle F1 Ass 5’s in 225/40/18

the Goodyears were better in every regard except noise. I found them quite noisy.

different road conditions / sizes etc can give difference experiences.

i just turned the radio up

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Interesting. I did the same swap and noticed if anything less noise! Strange indeed. I have to say I love the tyres and intend putting them on everything from now on. Whenever I drive the car with the SP4s I find the crashy, jittery ride annoying. The F1s are just lovely.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
I went Bridgestone Potenza’s to Eagle F1 Ass 5’s in 225/40/18

the Goodyears were better in every regard except noise. I found them quite noisy.

different road conditions / sizes etc can give difference experiences.

i just turned the radio up
Also there are different versions of the Asymmetric 5's! I think at least 3 or 4 in the 225/45/17 size.
I went with the AO (Audi approval) version as this had the best efficiency/wet grip and also A for noise.

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
Interesting. I did the same swap and noticed if anything less noise! Strange indeed. I have to say I love the tyres and intend putting them on everything from now on. Whenever I drive the car with the SP4s I find the crashy, jittery ride annoying. The F1s are just lovely.
True as one reads many posts suggesting Bridgestone's are noisy, not as bad as they used through. If I didn't have a local Maxxis dealer I'd also go for the GY F1's or Kumho's KU39/PS71's..

280jl

Nov 20, 2015
Bromley
I no longer own mu cupra

But after owning a 280 for 3 years and a 300 for 3 years, and having used the Bridgestone potenza, pirelli p zero, Michelin pilot sport 4, pilot super sports and the Eagle f1's.... as we all know, everyone has there opinions and it's been talked about for years, but to me it was always the Michelin tyres in first place, the super sports needed warming up in the winter but was the best tyre for me, then actually the Eagle f1s best price and all round and nice and quiet... Bridgestones in last place, made the classic cupra wheel hop even worse than it ever could be

Paulo16

Jun 13, 2019
Huddersfield
Just had 18” PS4’s fitted to my 63 plate FR with Costco Black Friday deal (£65 a corner) and the difference is night and day over the Goodyears previously on! Not crashy and lower road noise too. Turn in is greatly improved too. Very happy with the choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: adam davies

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Just had 18” PS4’s fitted to my 63 plate FR with Costco Black Friday deal (£65 a corner) and the difference is night and day over the Goodyears previously on! Not crashy and lower road noise too. Turn in is greatly improved too. Very happy with the choice.

PS4’s or PS4S’s ??

I’ve just had PS4S’s on my Cupra R ST.
Needless to say they are a gigantic improvement over the Conti Sport 5’s
Grip, noise, comfort in a different league.

Last edited:

Paulo16

Jun 13, 2019
Huddersfield
PS4’s or PS4S’s ??

I’ve just had PS4S’s on my Cupra R ST.
Needless to say they are a gigantic improvement I’ve the Conti Sport 5’s
Grip, noise, comfort in a different league.

PS4, it’s only an FR but still a big improvement. Didn’t like them on my MK7 Golf gti strangely. Conti’s and Bridgestones are lower on my list than budget tyres lol!

Reactions: Slickric21

Firaxis

Dec 24, 2018
I had a set of Hankook's on my MK4 Cupra and whilst it handled very well they weren't half noisy. On some uneven surfaces they were relatively smooth but on others rather fidgety.. I did ask Cupra why these were fitted as standard to a 38K car?! I recon most of the options stated here would have been better.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I had a set of Hankook's on my MK4 Cupra and whilst it handled very well they weren't half noisy. On some uneven surfaces they were relatively smooth but on others rather fidgety.. I did ask Cupra why these were fitted as standard to a 38K car?! I recon most of the options stated here would have been better.
Hankook are now a premium make

used to be mid range but now premium

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.