Bulbs

Sep 3, 2009
Walsall, West Mids
After following the numerous threads on bulbs (side lights, dipped, main etc etc) i took the plunge and ordered myself some mTec bulbs from Hids-Direct.

Went for the MTec side light bulbs and the 55w cosmos white dipped (H7) in the end.

Anyway, they arrived in good time so i decided to drop them in yesteday, started with the side lights, all went well... job done in 5 minutes. Moved on to the dipped lights and i'd ordered the wrong bulbs !

Dont know why but i didnt specify H7 on the order so they sent H1 which on the website is the default option.

So, i now have a set of MTec H1 bulbs... i have emailed Hids-Direct to see if they will exchange them for H7's but while digging about i noticed on PowerBulbs.com that apparently the high beam bulbs are H1's.

When i was looking (or rather feeling about) yesterday i'm sure the connector for the high beam has 2 connectors in an L shape ?

anyway, has anyone replaced the high beam bulbs with anything other than standard bulbs ? If i can use the H1's in there i will and then just get another set of H7's to match everything up.

IanG

Aug 23, 2007
Yes the H1 bulbs will be fine for main beam:)

you just need to get a set of H7 for the dipped

I replaced my high beams with Osram Nightbreakers. Seem a lot brighter and maybe *slightly* whiter than the OEM bulbs, but the Nightbreakers are for increased brightness and better pattern, rather than colour/aesthetics.
A couple of months later, I got a set of H7R 6kK HIDs and they make the high beam look very yellow. Not sure I can be bothered to upgrade them again just to match the colours though - I only tend to use high beam when nobody's there to see them... ;)

stevesulsh

MY08FR
Dec 8, 2008
Dublin Ireland
hids direct

after reading through recent threads i decided not to go the LED route and bought the super white mtech sidelight bulbs was going to get headlight bulbs at the same time but they were charging postage on each item strangely?? postage to Ireland for the sidelight bulbs was actually more than the bulbs, saying that am happy with the new white look will be a set of dipped beam bulbs next as Halfrauds extreme brilliance bulbs now look yellow in comparison

FR_Flavoured

am happy with the new white look will be a set of dipped beam bulbs next as Halfrauds extreme brilliance bulbs now look yellow in comparison

GREAT! very happy to hear it. Waiting on my MTEC bulbs to come through too.
It's a pity I've had to order the side lights from a different ebay seller to the dipped beams!

The " MTEC " name has caused quite a buzz in the Mk2 Leon forum recently. Proving very popular [B)] ............... even if the light they emit is only as far as the end of your driveway! :D

The connectors:

Yeah there are two L shaped connector in the back of the full beam. The larger (connected to the base of the bulb) needs to be pulled out in order to lift the clip that holds the H1 bulb in place. The smaller L shaped connector is connected to the light body, this can remain in. When fitting the new H1's put the bulb into the hole and then put the clip back. Then attach the large L shaped connector into the back of the bulb.

I've had a bulb warning light for weeks cause my drivers side full beam wasn't working, swapped 4 bulbs non worked. What happened was when I was changing the side lights (501) I must have caught the small L shaped connector. So be careful and make sure you have both connector pushed firmly in the light unit.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.