Burning smell and some smoke!!

jazzmonst

I was driving back tonight (wk old FR TDI 450 miles) from work and through a pause in traffic i managed to press the accelerator for the turbo to kick in whilst in 2nd gear just to put a smile back on my face (nothing too harsh though) as i soon caught up with the traffic ahead.

As i got towards my flat i smelt something burning and when i parked up i could see just in front of the headlamps some minor smoke (couldn't see it without the lights on so it wasn't much).

I decided to go up to the flat dump my bag and came back down 5 minutes later to check out if it was still smelling or was still smoking. Neither but i decided not to open the bonnet as the allocated parking has minimal lights so i wouldn't have been able to see anything.

Is this the usual factory grease burning off or something more serious? The car felt ok, although it was slightly sluggish (although i've only got 30 miles of diesel left) in 1st and 2nd but the turbo did kick in with a gentle push.

I'm not driving the car until Wednesday when i'll be WFH so i can take a look under the bonnet in day light to see if anything is wrong or whether it still works!

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
Will just be general crap burning off.

They get hot if you push em - its fine, but they'll smell for the first couple of thousand miles.

Wait till the summer and its 30 degrees out side.... then they are really hot after a hard drive :D

JonoUK

Apr 29, 2007
North Yorkshire
Make sure you let it cool down a bit before you turn it off too if you've been giving it some. I believe just doing the last few miles or so of your journey off boost should be fine.

I think. ?.

Mine got really hot after a not particularly fast drive after maybe 200 miles and absoloutely stank. The front wing side of bonnet on driver's side was almost too hot to touch, well leave your hand on for any amount of time. But I believe it's supposed to do that. It's done it once since at about 400-500 miles, or before 1000 miles was up. Again, after a not very hard drive (maybe it was the DPF burn off thing doing its stuff?). It's never done it since, but it does tend to get driven properly on most journeys once it's properly warmed up of course, and if the traffic/conditions permit [B)]

Last edited:

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
Once you park up and turn the engine off you can hear a quiet but high pitched noise from the engine bay for about 30 seconds , i believe this is an oil or water pump pumping oil/water around the turbo to cool it after the engine has stopped.

(This is on the 170 engine at least)

jazzmonst

Yeh i learnt that from my other car (350Z) that it needs a gentle run in on the miles home, otherwise i'll be cooking my dinner on the bonnet or the wheels!

My first thought when i was aware of the smell was the brakes as i did brake (not too hard though) when some numpty decided to cross the road into his estate but i couldn't smell a strong odour when i sniffed that area when i parked up (i must have looked a right plumb if anyone was watching)...

This is my first new car (previous company cars and the Z was 2nd hand) so i've not experienced the delights of a "tight" engine or bits flying out of the vents...

So hopefully it'll be ok when i get to drive it tomorrow...

Last edited by a moderator:

SEATcarsdirect.co.uk

Sounds perfectly normal to me my 2.0 tdi 140 used to smoke every now and then in traffic

Irfan

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.