Burning Smell/Smoke

Nabraxas

Feb 11, 2007
Not sure if anybody else has experienced this.

After driving my car (Leon Cupra R) a little more 'spirited' than normal daily driving I've noticed there's a smell of burning - I've lifted the bonnet and noticed smoke coming out.

The smoke originates from the rubber hose section which sits above the exhaust manifold, believe it goes to the charge pipe? The smell actually smells like rubber burning - there is heat lagging round this pipe but the smoke appears to be coming from the very top section of the hose.

Can't really tell if it's coming off the hose or something underneath the hose. Anybody had this before?

Nabraxas

Feb 11, 2007
Found the culprit...

Turbo outlet hose - the heat lagging around it has a split in it so I've put that back together, also, the turbo outlet hose itself has a split in, so one of those has been ordered!

Wonder if that's why my turbo has always sounded so noisy? Doesn't seem to have penetrated the outer layer of the hose but the rubber internals have definately split.

super_electric

Ps3 Tag: nixonoioi
Aug 20, 2007
North Yorkshire
Just flicking about and seen this post think I have the same problem :think: after having a “good run out” could smell burning rubber soooo pulled over and when I lifted the bonnet there was smoke coming from under the heat shield where the turbo hose is covered :wtf:…… I know they are prone to crack, just wounding how easy it was when you changed yours etc is it something you can do out side your house and on ya own??:shrug:

Nabraxas

Feb 11, 2007
Mine still smells slightly but nothing like it did before when it had a split. I ordered a new one from Forge and the smell isn't quite so bad now.

It's quite easy to do, took about half hour and everything is accessible from the top - 2 jubilee clips and remove, bit of a pain to get the new one back on but it is possible.

super_electric

Ps3 Tag: nixonoioi
Aug 20, 2007
North Yorkshire
Mine still smells slightly but nothing like it did before when it had a split. I ordered a new one from Forge and the smell isn't quite so bad now.

It's quite easy to do, took about half hour and everything is accessible from the top - 2 jubilee clips and remove, bit of a pain to get the new one back on but it is possible.

Had a look last night, just slipped one end of the turbo hose off and had a look inside and well… well… well… 2 quite big splits least I know now that’s the problem grrrrr just ordered a forge one looks like they are the only ones who doooo the type of hose part from a replacement from seat etc

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.