Buying a Leon Mk3 1.4 TSi FR

Topzzy55

Dec 12, 2017
North East
What’s everyone’s opinion on the 1.4 TSi unit?Looking into buying one, test drove a 150 ACT but with a DSG box and fair to say it has a lot more pace than my 1.2 tsi but think I’ll stick with the manual. Budget wise (£7,000 - £8500 roughly) I’m looking at the 140BHP variant without the ACT. Haven’t had chance to test drive one yet as there’s barely any near where I live for sale . Is it actually worth me paying more for the 150 engine? Seems like it still comes with a fairly big premium and don’t know if it’s really worth it? Thanks.

hilly81

Apr 28, 2014
Little Sutton
What’s everyone’s opinion on the 1.4 TSi unit?Looking into buying one, test drove a 150 ACT but with a DSG box and fair to say it has a lot more pace than my 1.2 tsi but think I’ll stick with the manual. Budget wise (£7,000 - £8500 roughly) I’m looking at the 140BHP variant without the ACT. Haven’t had chance to test drive one yet as there’s barely any near where I live for sale . Is it actually worth me paying more for the 150 engine? Seems like it still comes with a fairly big premium and don’t know if it’s really worth it? Thanks.
I bought an 18 plate 1.4 150 ACT FR with DSG in October and I absolutely love it. Obviously it's not 'fast' but it's quick enough to make good progress/overtake. DSG is great. I have averaged 45.7MPG (Actual, not what the trip computer says) over 4k miles which with only a 6 mile commute and given I have only driven it during the colder months I think is pretty good. On longer motorway runs it's easily 50-55MPG.

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
I've had a 1.4 150 with ACT for a year now. Love the engine and it's well built with few complaints from most users I see on here and FB. Can't say my MPG is as good as hilly81 is getting (around 35 for me with a daily 7 mile hilly commute) but on longer runs it certainly goes up. The 140 variant is, as far as I'm aware almost identical to the 150 with ACT, obvious differences being the ACT components not being there. In terms of power I'd doubt you'd actually feel the difference though.

Mine is also a manual and it's a good enough gearbox and clutch system. Mines been remapped to aprox. 176bhp and I don't have issues with the clutch. The manual box isn't known to be the strongest around, however unless you plan on smashing it into gears you shouldn't have an issue.

Overall a good engine with decent power and reliability.

Rockbox

Apr 6, 2018
I've got a 17 plate 150 act and as said above its not a bad motor. Mine is a manual and I can get easily mid to high 40's mpg to and from work more on a run, low 50's on a long run.
Obviously if you drive like you stolen it that will go down.
On some manuals you could get some clutch judder when cold there are a few people on here that have that and I've noticed on mine the gear change has a bit of a clonk,but another thumbs up for the engine.

Sword

Apr 22, 2019
Winchester
If you could stretch your budget a little higher I would get one with ACT.

Motorway runs are easily 50 to 55 mpg as stated above and above 60 mpg if cruising along 50mph roadworks.

All in all a great engine that has had nothing but rave reviews, a cheeky remap takes it to nearly 180 bhp and still has ACT.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
You won't notice the difference between the 140 or 150, the ACT makes a small improvement in economy but sometimes adds an annoying rattle - depending on the build quality/turbo actuator.

Yes, the 1.4 is a big improvement over the 1.2 in power and torque but I've found the clutch to be annoying. On the 1.4 it's clearly designed to reduce wear, but it really grabs when you least want it to.

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
I've now had three cars with the ACT engine, and it's hard to fault really. Punchy enough for everyday driving, smooth, quiet and economical and low road tax as well.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.