Buying advice for Ibiza Mk4 please...

Well my girlfriend has caught the Seat bug! With me and another two friends owning Ibizas and another a Leon (we are all on here!) she wants to get rid of her P reg Fiesta LX (1.25 zetec engine) and get a MK4 Ibiza 5 dr.

She has told me that she wants the 1.2 12v engine, and all the stuff like pas, ew (both of which the Fiesta didnt have!) and air con etc. Insurance and tax is cheap on the 1.2, but I'd like to hear from anyone with thoughts out there or 1.2 owners as to what they are like, especially with air con on (ie are they real slow). I'm thinking that this may be an issue and a 1.4 may be better, especially as a Mk4 will be heavier than the Fiesta.

General thoughts on this would be welcome, plus anything particular that is known faults/issues/things to look at when viewing etc.

A 54 plate has been seen at the local stealers, 5 dr 1.2, all the spec, 10k miles, for £5995. This is at the total max of the budget, and an older one would do for sub £5k.

Any help/info greatly received, cheers in advance.

Ryan

if you want the spec (aircon/climate/alloys/front fogs etc) then go for the SX
If you want a 1.4, go for a later SPORT or SX, tho the SPORT has aircon, but not climate.

We're bout to move on from our 1.2 SX (04). has 26k up now, been a fantastic little run around.
Nippy in town, good on fuel (only 3 cyl) and a lot of fun to drive.
Will do over 100mph on private tracks, but really lacks mid-range:(

good luck on whatever you decide to get :thumbup:

gazjones

i had a 1.2 3 door before my fr and it lasted a year my mate had the fiesta 1.25 and it was so much quicker with the weight of the ibiza mk4 i would personally go for the 1.4 as it will be pretty nippy and prob keep her a bit happier for longer.
i was looking for the 1.4 whewn i got the 1.2 i was just impatient and wanted the car as i looks great lasted a year before i wanted more power!

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
The 1.4 16v 75bhp is probably worse than the 1.2, so try and stretch your budget to the 100bhp 1.4 16v Sport, or a TDI if if goes that far!

I've heard of a few serious problems with the 1.2 engine, I'd ask techie but he's too busy becoming a father at the minute!

All models can suffer from clonky front anti roll bars and links. The links are £30 for the pair if I remember correctly and the Fabia vRS/Ibiza Cupra ARB kit with bushes is about £40. The thinner ARB is the same price so you may as well get the thickest available.

Check the air con works as I've hard of a few people complaining about this, other than that I can't think of much else!

gazjones

the problems on the 1.2 engine are the timimng has a tendancy to slip due to a failing tensioner i had this happen to mine and i know of another car at lincoln seat that needed a new engine due to this problem continually happening ( the engines are disposable cant take much off them untill they are exchanged at seat hq) so they sawp them if there are big problems also the coil packs are suspect and they have uprated ones to solve the problem

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
There was something else, something about self-loosening bolts somewhere that means the engine ends up dying. I can't remember what it was, someone will remember!

redcupratdi

Offical SCN Pole Dancer
Oct 13, 2005
cambridge
forget about teh 1.2 my girklfriend when i met her was driving a 1.0 corsa which she hating and was dangourous cos couldn't do anything fast to get out of danger eetc etc...

we got her a 1.4 8v citroen C2 which was fun but lacked torque and flew about at high speed now she has a new clio £ 106bhp DCI and she is 100 times more confident on the road and actually happy to drive it the torque it just there when you need to get out of a sticky spot...

i.e slip road lorry, not letting you out!

get something wioth 100bhp like the 1.4 16V or get her to drive the 100bhp 1.9tdi she'll be surprise how easy and effortless it is to drive also doing 10-15mpg more! and less tax etc

keebo_sioux

I'm so dark I fart bats
Feb 8, 2004
Reading, Berkshire
Visit site
oh definitely get as big an engine as you can for your bucks. I started on a 1.4 Ibiza and it was as slow as a snail. It could never get us out of danger e.g. we had people driving up to our bumper on slip roads etc even when my pedal was to the floor.

I have a 1.9TDI and couldn't bear driving the 1.4 I had to use today. What is stopping her going for a bigger engined car? As a woman driver, I am much more confident in this than I was in the 1.4...get her to test drive it, feel the power and she'll be hooked :) :)

Mattyh87

Sideways as always!
May 7, 2006
Manchester
Ive currently got a 1.2! Ive driven much much faster cars, but to be honest, the 1.2 is all you need most of the time! if the aircon is on, it doesnt make such a big difference.

The only pain is if you get stuck behind slow moving traffic, it takes that bit longer to overtake so you need to make sure there is room and you can see far ahead. Otherwise its been perfect! To quote T-Spark, its a good traffic light car!

The diesel will take many miles a year to earn back the difference in cost, but it could be more fun.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
if she currently drives a 1.25 fiesta 16v then she needs a 1.4 ibiza. The 1.2 12v will feel gutless compared to her fiesta, especially when you add in the extra weight of the ibiza

Pepz

Apr 10, 2004
I test drove both before I bought my 1.4 SX. Neither cars are "nippy" in my opinion.. they are both pretty slow, however the 1.4 is slightly faster (obviously) and if your planning on doing any motorway driving, definately get the 1.4... as someone said, the 1.4 Sport (which has 100bhp) is actually nippy... so go for that if possible! Thats my only regret with the car, its bit underpowered (although I have been driving it for 2 years).

Deal is done!

Thanks for all the replies peeps. Deal is done on said 1.2 S. Test drove yesterday and she liked it, I drove it too, as had to make sure you see (!!), So a 1.2 12v 54 plate, 10k, one owner from new, sold from new from the same dealer, I find a tiny tiny dent that I think they were quite suprised I spotted but they will fix that, 12 months tax, 20k/2 year service inc fluid and filters, standard valet etc, could not squeeze mats or fuel out of them, but not a bad deal for a fiver under £6k. Pic below - glacier blue metalic.

Need to get mats, they quoted £45 at the dealer, but posted the supplier on here for a price too, to compare.

Will also be looking for some alloys at some point too, 15" I guess as the steelies are 14" - if anyone knows of any, let me know.

So anyone know anyone who wants to buy a 1.25 zetec Fiesta?!

DSCN01299.jpg

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
Nice work!

You may as well go for the 16" Sport wheels, they seem to go for pennies! Other than that, there are tons of VW wheels on ebay going for cheap! Noone wants 15s or 16s in 5 stud! Get it a chrome centre grille too, less than buying the chrome grille kit.

All the best with it! :)

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.