Buying Advice Needed!

baz3385

Hi All,

I've decided to sell my Impreza and have a guy coming to collect it on saturday. Whilst in a local garage I stumbled across a 52 plate Seat Ibiza Cupra R in black and it really caught my eye.

It was up for £4000 but I've managed to strike a deal at £3500. What are the main things I should be looking out for before commiting, and does this sound a fair price?

The clock reads 85,000 miles and the car looks in very good nick. It has the R's emboided in the seats, the badges, Brembo's and OZ wheels so i'm assuming its a genuine Cupra R? Owner of garage said HPI details state 177bhp.

Thanks in advance for any help.

baz3385

Actually it might have said that mate...I only had a quick look inside but noticed there was something embroided into the front seats. The car had OZ wheels, red seat belts, half leather interior. Are there any other tell tale signs?

K2NY-G

Brembo front brakes, but by the sounds of it i.e red seat belts etc, its a real R... Other differences are gauges below centre console, red stiching on gear gatior and handbrake

baz3385

Thanks for the info mate. Yeah it definately had brembo's on the front, its one of the first things I noticed.

Are there any "must check" things I need to consider before committing to buy, like major common problems?

baz3385

Sounds like this one is genuine then :D

Think i'm gonna pop in for a test drive in the morning and if i like, place a deposit!

Neale

Aug 26, 2007
Elgin, Scotland
There is a black R forsale quite local to me and the boy has it up for £4,800 i think it is with 48k on the clock i thought that was cheap!!

baz3385

Right been out in the car this morning and all seems in order. One thing i did notice, do the Ibiza Cupra R's come with a factory fitted dump valve?? Just I didn't really notice any noise when changing gears.

Think it also needs a set of rear discs, but for the price I can't really complain.

Right been out in the car this morning and all seems in order. One thing i did notice, do the Ibiza Cupra R's come with a factory fitted dump valve?? Just I didn't really notice any noise when changing gears.

Think it also needs a set of rear discs, but for the price I can't really complain.

Yes but it's a fully recirc. If you were to buy it throw on a Forge 007p valve as the standard ones are rubbish quality.

Adam R

Diesel ISN'T a Dirty word
Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent

cupra's dont have whooshy dump valves.. they have recirc valves ;)

if you have found a proper cupra R for £3.5k you would be bloody silly not to buy it!.
one thing you have to consider though is you cant mod it!

stock cupra R's are like rocking horse poo poo and get rarer every year so keeping yours in good nick will ensure you should be able to get decent money when you come to sell!

baz3385

Ok cheers for the quick response :) So would you say its quite normal to not notice any noise when changing gears?

baz3385

cupra's dont have whooshy dump valves.. they have recirc valves ;)

if you have found a proper cupra R for £3.5k you would be bloody silly not to buy it!.
one thing you have to consider though is you cant mod it!

stock cupra R's are like rocking horse poo poo and get rarer every year so keeping yours in good nick will ensure you should be able to get decent money when you come to sell!

Just seen your response after I posted mate. I checked round it and its totally standard and its definately an R! 85,000 on the clock but FSH up to 65,000. Placed a £100 deposit down on it and they are going to reatain it for a week.

Now just fingers crossed that nothing falls through and my car goes on Saturday.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members