Cable gear change replacement

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
Has anyone had to replace the gear change cable from the gearstick to the gearbox? I snapped one yesterday when i was drag racing (At santa pod not on the street) and need to replace it.

Couple of questions...
If i get a new cable is it possible to feed the new cable down the old sleeve to avoid replacing everything?

If i cant do that... do i really have to take the exhaust off, heatshield off etc to be able to access it all?

Gutted it happened, i only got half a run in, as it missed 3rd gear and i had to finish it in 4th... and then i had to drive home setting off in 5th :( lol

envycordoba

Jan 25, 2008
bournemouth
yes mate did mine 2 weeks ago. jack car up. drop exhaust down. take heat sheild off then there will be 4x 13mm bolts on a black cover under centre of car where gear stick fits undo them will expose the gear linkages under leaver. then from inside car take gear gater off and all plastics around it there will be 2 x 13mm bolts oppisite undo them then the gear leaver will drop down. get under the car then you will see the linkages take off the one which has broke 1 x horrible circlip take off carefully and not to snap it as has to be re used, if it's the other linkage u will see 2 x 13mm nuts undo them and push linkage toward back of car and drop down. once done go to front of car where gear box is 13mm nut undo and lift off box and finally pliers to pull clip off brass colour where cables run through a guide mount then pull out. do reverse to fit. hope this helps mate :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.