calling all REVO'ers

FR*Man1984

time for a MINI adventure
Got a bit of a dilema, I need all people that have had REVO done to their cars to respond to this thread

HAVE YOU TOLD YOUR INSURANCE ?

IF YES - DID YOUR INSURANCE GO UP BY MUCH ?

IF NO - WHY NOT ?

I'm really having a nightmare about this situation, as I'm not too sure if I should tell them and risk the premium to rocket up in price, and I don't not want to tell them, just incase I crash and they are able to trace the mod. As I've been told today, that NOTHING gets past the insurers (the guy that said this is a computer bod, so I'm now panicing, as I've booked in at REVO for November)

I really am worried, and any help with this would be greatly appreciated. If any of you are REVO bods, can you tell me how the insurers can't trace the mod that would be great, as I"m being told all sorts of things and I don't know what to believe.

Cheers, and thanks for reading (if you got this far) :shrug: I also apologise as this may have already been covered under tuning....but I need a simple answer and a quick one at that! lol :redface:

Steve_B

Stacy mmmm.......
May 6, 2005
West Yorkshire
It's a modification to the car then you should declare it simple as that, unless you can afford to buy your car again out of your own pocket, you'll have no money from the insurance company, and you'll be breaking the law because your insurance is void.

If you're that worried about it then cancel the appointment with the REVO dealer.

I will be getting REVO on my LC this weekend, declared to the insurer and my premium went up by 15% as a result.

gazjones

im not sure if people are going to post it on a public forum tbh as there are people on the site that work for insurance companies!

I work in insurance claims. When i was at Norwich union we took 40,000 claims a month on a quiet month. Do you seriously think every single claim gets investigated? Insurance companies do fraud indicators to flag up poss fruadulent claims, i won't go into specifics other than to say a good reason is needed to flag a claim as a poss fraud, most are common sense ie a high occupancy vehicle with 4 injured passangers or a Saxo VTR being driven by a 17 Yr old named driver

If you write you're car off an engineer may not even see you're car they will offer you the settlement and het a salvage agent to dispose of the salvage. You would have to be extremely unlucky to be caught with a remap or a chip?

I no longer work for NU but i still work claims and will i declair my remap! I'll let you figure that one out!

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Interesting post Dambuster.

I guess a mid-30s driver in a Passat Estate is unlikely to arouse too much suspicion then :)

Jun 7, 2006
Norfolk, Norwich
no muddy ur exactly what there looking for.... any middle age man running around calling him self muddy boots is a sure case white jacket ride to a padded room ;)

Smee

seli_babe

Don't Mess....
Nov 22, 2005
Bedfordshire
Mike has revo on his Mk3 and we have told the insurance company, I think all in all it went up by £300-£500, we also added other things like tints etc...

He is with Adrian Flux....

IMO.. I always think it's worth declaring it the way I look at is a potentional loss of £300 (for remap) or £6k(if you write off and they don't pay out).. at the end of the day I'd rather lose and additional £300, than have to go from a nice car to a 1.2 banger cause i didn't tell them...

Last edited:

Steve_B

Stacy mmmm.......
May 6, 2005
West Yorkshire
IMO.. I always think it's worth declaring it the way I look at is a potentional loss of £300 (for remap) or £6k(if you write off and they don't pay out).. at the end of the day I'd rather lose and additional £300, than have to go from a nice car to a 1.2 banger cause i didn't tell them...

Not forgetting that you've broken the law by driving without insurance, so there could be a short time in one of Her Majesties hotels or a massive fine at best, and then sky high premiums after that, if you can get insurance

Molehill_Mike

Rollin' on 20s
Jan 3, 2005
Bedfordshire
Went up by £200 I think

If you have it switched on and God forbid you have an accident, you cant guarantee you'll be in a fit state to switch off REVO (or remove other mods etc you may not have declared)

Peace of mind.... IMO

Mike

seli_babe

Don't Mess....
Nov 22, 2005
Bedfordshire
Not forgetting that you've broken the law by driving without insurance, so there could be a short time in one of Her Majesties hotels or a massive fine at best, and then sky high premiums after that, if you can get insurance

Uhm... i dunno I thought that as long as you had insurance but not told them about the mods.. the either invalidate the insurance or give you the opporunity to pay for the additions...

I dunno... where you'd stand on that

Steve_B

Stacy mmmm.......
May 6, 2005
West Yorkshire
Uhm... i dunno I thought that as long as you had insurance but not told them about the mods.. the either invalidate the insurance or give you the opporunity to pay for the additions...

I'd rather not find out :D As Mike says, it's for piece of mind really and easier to declare the mods

Molehill_Mike

Rollin' on 20s
Jan 3, 2005
Bedfordshire
Well I told AF about FMIC, no extra charge, no extra charge for exhaust & no extra charge for wheels...for this reason I tell them everything....I was charged for tints/remap/induction

It balances out...

Mike

Thats how Norwich Union work, they will ask you to pay the policy adjustment. Also any insurance company will still payout for any TP you hit if you're at fault. its a legal requirement for them to do so. They may then try to claim the cost of the claim back from you. but rarely do as they know you are unlikly to be able to pay.

seli_babe

Don't Mess....
Nov 22, 2005
Bedfordshire
Thats how Norwich Union work, they will ask you to pay the policy adjustment. Also any insurance company will still payout for any TP you hit if you're at fault. its a legal requirement for them to do so. They may then try to claim the cost of the claim back from you. but rarely do as they know you are unlikly to be able to pay.

Sorry mate i don't get what TP is

FR*Man1984

time for a MINI adventure
Norwich Union is no good, they've quoted me over 2k for my car without any mods.

I'll tell the insurers if I get the car modified, at this point I'm thinking of cancelling the revo! I need peace of mind, like a few of you have mentioned!

Thanks for all your help people and opinions.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Also any insurance company will still payout for any TP you hit if you're at fault. its a legal requirement for them to do so.

and you'll be breaking the law because your insurance is void.

That's what I thought Dambuster

I know people that have claimed with a knowingly modded car - the insurers just said they'd not replace the damaged 'modified' parts (at all)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.