Cambelt and coolant help.

Andybon

BOOYAH!!!
Nov 1, 2007
St Helens
Going to be doing the cambelt soon on the car. Found someone to do it, all i have to do is supply thee bits.

What will I need and what does a cambelt kit consist of.

Also, (this is going to sound daft), what colour coolant is needed, as there are different ones in the local motorfactors.

Need to know asap because will possably be doing it this weekend as well as a full service!

Thanks

Mar 16, 2008
Wiltshire / Bristol
The VW kit containes the timing belt and idlers. I think it might come with a new tensioner as well. It was £101 in Jan this year. You will also need a water pump - get an aftermarket one rather than OEM, due to the problems with these (suposidly they have been sorted, but why take the risk?). It makes sense to change the aux belt while you are there aswell (just the costs of parts - as its got to come off anyway). The coolent is VW G12 (pink stuff). should be mixed at 50/50.

Think thats about it.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'm not trying to nit-pick but the coolant is now G12++ (same as G12 but further evolved) Get the correct cam belt kit from VAG after quoting your VIN, VAG also sell exchange water pumps, in my case the exchange pump did have a metal impellor - just ask for one at your local VAG dealer, open the box for the pump up and if its a metal impellor pay up, if its not, decline to buy it - its your money and if VAG have wandered back to supplying pumps with plastic impellars then that is their fault - they do know the score! BTW the plastic impellors are black. Maybe also buy an auxiliary belt - used to be called the "fan belt".

Mar 16, 2008
Wiltshire / Bristol
I'm not trying to nit-pick but the coolant is now G12++ (same as G12 but further evolved)

Didnt know that! Learn somthing new every day...

Some of the newer VAG water pumps do have plastic impellors, but they have bonded them to the shaft diferently so they wont come loose - aparantly...

Andybon

BOOYAH!!!
Nov 1, 2007
St Helens
Thanks, went into the local motorfactors and priced the bits up, It came to just over £120. May give seat a ring and get a price, Can only try!

Andybon

BOOYAH!!!
Nov 1, 2007
St Helens
Got the bits today, But they gave me the blue (ethylene glycol) antifreeze.

Would i be better getting antifreeze and coolant, or just antifreeze on its own, Or is it the same?

Mar 16, 2008
Wiltshire / Bristol
Coolent and antifreeze are the same thing. You should realy have the G12 (pink) stuff - as its designed to work with aluminium - which the cylinder head is. You also need to change it every 2 years as it breaks down.

Andybon

BOOYAH!!!
Nov 1, 2007
St Helens
Went back and swapped it for the pink stuff. Says on the bottle reccomended by audi, volkswagen, seat, skoda so it should do the job... I hope!!!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.