Cambelt and water pump change - how much?

J0N

Defected!
Is there anything official (online possibly?) that states the VAG rule for the cambelt change? I've read a few threads on it and have seen several different figures quoted. 5 years/50k, 4 years/60k etc.

I've not yet picked my 04 Cupra R (with 52k on the clock) up from the dealers and if I can find the official the VAG recommendation then I might be able to get them to change it before I collect, assuming it's not already been done (Can't remember if it was mentioned in the service log to be honest).

On an LCR VAG recommends that the cambelt should be changed at 60,000 miles or 4 years, which ever comes first. This is clearly stated in the service book and if your car has full SEAT service history this should have been done already but do check, don't assume.

cambelt,that just the timing belt??? am getting mine done tomorrow by seat for 265 quid

Yes, it's the timing belt. Get the water pump done at the same time, these cost less than £40 for an OEM part with metal impellor. These are driven by the cambelt so you might as well get it done at the same time. These are prone to fail, (because the original impellors are plastic) and If you dont get it done and you have a new cambelt kit fitted the water pump bearings become the weakest part and if these fail it could potentially cause the same problems as a snapped cambelt.

wrecker

On an LCR VAG recommends that the cambelt should be changed at 60,000 miles or 4 years, which ever comes first. This is clearly stated in the service book and if your car has full SEAT service history this should have been done already but do check, don't assume.

Cheers :) I'll make sure I check.

calum001

Oct 9, 2009
i got the full cambelt kit/waterpump (metal)/hydraulic tensioner/thermostat/alternator belt aswell as a full main service (all filters/fluids/plugs etc..) for £540 all in from Star Performance about a month ago

Wolvotim

Oct 3, 2009
Shifnal, Shropshire
just called stafford audi and they said £324 which is ace for a main dealer then skoda wolves price matched them as well so im just deciding if to spend the extra £64 and go main dealer over independent midland vw

JamJay

California Bound
it's all about having a "daughter's mechanic boyfriend".

did you sit and watch him in your rocking chair whilst chewing a piece of straw with a 12 gauge across your knee?

I bet he did a perfect job, I would never want to cross the (potential) father in law...

I am getting Pops to do mine in his garage, will cost me the price of the parts and a few beers afterwards :). I honestly would struggle to run this car if I couldn't get trade parts & free labour.

Wolvotim

Oct 3, 2009
Shifnal, Shropshire
when i rang round this morn the price differece was masive.

Suprisingly out of all my local vag dealers audi were cheapest at £320 and wolverhampton seat were the most expensive at £450!!!! :eek:

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
The garage I went to said they wouldn't put a service stamp in the book just for a cambelt and water pump, only for actual scheduled services.

JamJay

California Bound
what about the service stamp jamjay?

It's an actual business so he will stamp the book for me too :). The only thing that's different about me doing it this way is that he's my dad & makes no money out of it (so we'll be doing it on a weekend). I trust him much more than any other mechanic, in fact he's fitted almost every mod to every car i've had.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members