Cambelt Identification

hydeh

Hey, just a quick one as a while of searching wasn't really giving me the answer i needed.

It's a bit of an amateur question, but does anyone have a picture that clearly identifies where my cambelt is on a 1.4 mk1 leon?

Is the belt that is clearly the visible the auxillary belt or the cambelt itself?

I'm a little confused.

Thanks in advance!

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
The visible belt is the auxiliary drive belt, driving the alternator, power steering pump and airconditioning compressor if you have one.

The cambelt is next to it, under a set of covers. It is a toothed belt, as precise timing has to be kept between the crankshaft and the cams. It also drives the coolant pump.

hydeh

Thanks a lot for the info. That's what i suspected!

Well it's split in half, and now i'm booked in for it to be replaced first thing tomorrow. Should sort out the squealing noises!

hydeh

Haha sorry, yeah as Ben said, it's the aux belt that has split! Matt at Volkscraft will have it rectified tomorrow morning.

I'd be crying inside if it was the cambelt.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
not got an idea of when the cambelt was last done at all ?

personally i usually change the drive belts whilst they are off doing the cambelt see abd if ones shredded it would be wise to make sure about the other

hydeh

Cambelt was last done at 67k

The car is currently about to hit 115k so it's got about 10k to til it's due. Matt's going to try and have a peek to see if it needs doing.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
good man - note keep an eye on time also mind as belts will degrade hence why they are listed for change by time/mileage whatever comes first

hydeh

Well i'm trying to sell the car soon, so hopefully the plan is it won't be due while it's still under my ownership.

Thanks for the info guys.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.