Camshaft orientation

phil@50

Hi,
My apologies if this has already been covered, but I tried a search on this and nothing came back, anyway, here goes. We are rebuilding the head on our 1.8t, and are working for some of the info from a golf mk4 Haynes manual. I get the bit about the 16 rollers between the rear sprockets, but the head that we have has been stripped before and I want to be certain on the valve timing.
My question is this - how do you check the initial orientation of the cams before you start to time them - i.e. if you were fitting new cams and had no previous marks to refer to?. Are there any start point markings that you the fine tune to 16 rollers or is there a link to any better info about this?.
Many thanks in advance for any info on this.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
There are two cut outs on the edge of the cam near the chain. These need to be upright pointing to two arrows on the cam bearing caps.

joehirth

Rate me up baby
Apr 19, 2010
Woking, Surrey
www.facebook.com
Hi,
My apologies if this has already been covered, but I tried a search on this and nothing came back, anyway, here goes. We are rebuilding the head on our 1.8t, and are working for some of the info from a golf mk4 Haynes manual. I get the bit about the 16 rollers between the rear sprockets, but the head that we have has been stripped before and I want to be certain on the valve timing.
My question is this - how do you check the initial orientation of the cams before you start to time them - i.e. if you were fitting new cams and had no previous marks to refer to?. Are there any start point markings that you the fine tune to 16 rollers or is there a link to any better info about this?.
Many thanks in advance for any info on this.

Is this for timing to TDC?

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Yes at TDC those marks will line up and the cam sprocket will line up with the cam cover.

joehirth

Rate me up baby
Apr 19, 2010
Woking, Surrey
www.facebook.com
Thanks :) just want to check mine as this happened at some point.....

100_1572.jpg

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.