Can you tell me what a Cupra drives like compared with a 106 GTi ?

Edamski

Hey guys,

Right im thinking of getting a Cupra, i've got a 106 GTi now and im wandering has anyone on here had a GiT and a Cupra and can give me an honest opinion on what they think the Cupra drives like compared to the 106 because i think the GiT it drives brillaintly :) light and nimble and agile.

Failing that can anyone give me a description of what there like to drive because im finding it abit tricky to find one to test drive. Whats the steering like, handling, ride quality etc..

All help is greatly appreciated :)

Last edited by a moderator:

cus

... Vag only!
Feb 8, 2004
Middlesbrough
www.nemm.co.uk
once its on coilovers, and you have some spacers on the back wheels, its a lot better. i get a lot of understeer, but i think this is due to my camber being wrong.

i would test drive one and see what you think. most people on here have theres modified, so handle differently

cus

... Vag only!
Feb 8, 2004
Middlesbrough
www.nemm.co.uk
a lot of people go for coilovers, as they can adjust the height to whatever they want.

best thing to do is work out what you want from the car.. if its handling, and you are willing to spend a fair bit of money, then its all possible.

ARBs, coilovers, strutbars etc, will all do a good job, but depends how much your willing to spend.

Adam R

Diesel ISN'T a Dirty word
Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
well the thing is unless you spend lots of money then it wont handle brill..

decent coilovers £500+
ARB's front and back (IIRC) £300
Front lower and upper braces £100
Rear upper brace £60
Decent tyres £ 300+
spacers £80

then possibly light wheels (yes proper light weight wheels do help handling as you reduce unsprung weight) £500 + ish...

btw most of above prices are guestimates and may be too low or high.

Edamski

I'm actually looking at a Cupra because im wanting some boost and more speed haha don't get me wrong my 106 ain't slow by any means especially for a 1.6 but im sure you know about that little voice in the back of your head that keeps saying more...more....haha

I just wouldn't want the handling to let the car down or dissapoint me to much

Edamski

then possibly light wheels (yes proper light weight wheels do help handling as you reduce unsprung weight) £500 + ish...

I've got some ultraleggera's on mine mate and don't i just know it, such an under-rated item!! there the future :D

stani540

Jan 21, 2007
my mate has got a 106 gti 140bhp and it handles really well very nice car to drive the power is good and feels a bit more manic than my cupra but that may be due to it being stripped out and lower on its arse!

but wouldn swap my cupra for it, we took them both out the other night and my cupra destroyed the 106 granted mine is revo stage 1 and has 200bhp but still his 106 weighs less than 800kgs

not gunna claim that the cupra is better in handling because it just isnt but as has been said you can get arbs and stur braces to sort that out!!

i have got a front lower (not fitted yet) and a rear brace and they stiffen the car up quite a bit make it handle very nicely and the difference in power is immense and you will love the turbo and the decent brakes!

both good cars just cupra is better, but for the money 106 is pretty unbeatable! just depends whats swaying your decision! turbo power is awesome you wont look back

Edamski

I won't miss the good brakes i happen to have 4-pots haha with 285mm disks. I was hoping someone would say it blew it away in a straight line mines running 137BHP so pretty similar to your mates.

stani540

Jan 21, 2007
well the thing is unless you spend lots of money then it wont handle brill..

decent coilovers £500+
ARB's front and back (IIRC) £300
Front lower and upper braces £100
Rear upper brace £60
Decent tyres £ 300+
spacers £80

btw most of above prices are guestimates and may be too low or high.

as for braces got my rear and front lower for 50 delivered and its hard to find cupras that arnt modded so if you hunt around you could find one with alot of the above on

from standing start the cupra monstered the 106 in about 3rd they were pretty even till mine started boosting at full boost then i shot off

and anything over 90 the cupra is way way faster!!!

as said do it you wont regret it german quality with spanish madness what more can you want!!

stani540

Jan 21, 2007
I won't miss the good brakes i happen to have 4-pots haha with 285mm disks. I was hoping someone would say it blew it away in a straight line mines running 137BHP so pretty similar to your mates.

My mates just putting a set of brakes same spec on his as the brakes as standard dont give you much confidence would you agree!!

the 4 pots good??? he is putting hi-spec set up on

Edamski

I didn't find my standards to bad, but the wilwoods are far far FAR supeirior haha crazy short stopping distances! I don't have much faith with HI-SPEC not seen or heard to many a good thing about them, if he's buying new wilwoods are slightly cheaper than the hi-specs as well if i remember correctly from rallyedesign, they do a kit :)

J-GTi

Do what I did and keep the 106 gti and buy a cupra aswell :D

Can't beat the GTi though, it'll run rings around the cupra in the twistys.

Bogwoppit

Aug 30, 2005
Lincs
I might be able to help on this:

I went from a 2001 106 GTi which was fitted with a Peugeot motorsport group N stainless exhaust system, the one with the dummy cat and also a ecosse induction kit to a 2000 Ibiza Cupra 20VT which had a jabbasport remap to approx 200bhp.

The Ibiza was ultimately quicker in a straight line but the power delivery of the 106 was more manic and addictive whereas in the ibiza, it didn't matter what gear you were in you just floored it and let the turbo do the work. The pug can be annoying though if you are not in the mood to wring it's neck all the time.

The standard brakes on the 106 were also in a different league to the ones on the ibiza, they had a lot more feel and power but it helps that the 106 weighs the same as a packet of crisps.

The handling of the 106 is A LOT better than the Ibiza, it has more feel through the steering wheel and also is very adjustable using the throttle etc to adjust the line in corners if you were in the mood.

The build quality of the Ibiza was better than the Pug but not by as much as people think IMO.

If you want a car for fun and playing keep the Pug, if you want a more grown up car thats easier to drive get the Ibiza. If you want big power and are prepared to change the turbo and fit an intercooler etc get the Ibiza.

I enjoyed both of these cars but they are like chalk and cheese.

Edamski

Decisions haha i know exactly what you mean with the GiT alot of fun times..hmmmmm

Adam R

Diesel ISN'T a Dirty word
Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
I've got some ultraleggera's on mine mate and don't i just know it, such an under-rated item!! there the future :D

thing is
UNSPRUNG weight is bad news..

its a general rule of thumb but not compleatly correct:
1Kg of unsprung weight = 4kg of sprung weight

so say you have wheels that weight 10kg a peice then you buy some that are 5Kg a peice... thats 5KG off each wheel..

5kg x 4 wheels = 20Kg.

20Kg of unsprung weight = 20kg x 4 = 80Kg of sprung weight..

so thats equal to 1 person.

next thing to consider is that since the unsprung weight is reduced then your shocks and springs dont have to work so hard to keep your wheels in contact with the road, which in turn give better handling aswell. aslo the steering will also be more responsive and acceleration will improve.

(again before some one gets on their high horse and tells me off for 'inpropper' calculation)
the calculation of unsprung -> sprung weight is a rough figure not an exact.