Can you tell me what a Cupra drives like compared with a 106 GTi ?

Mar 16, 2008
Wiltshire / Bristol
How do you mean? 1KG of unsprung weight has the equivelent effect on the car as having 4KG of weight in the car? Or you need the extra sprung weight to cope with the unsprung weight?

Edamski

willwoods and hi spec's are the same thing if im not mistaken

not as far as i know mate as theres countless different types of wilwood calipers, but ive seen trouble with the Hi-Spec kits not fitting correctly and stuff like that....i have been known to be wrong before though :)

Less unsprung weight in something like a wheel makes a massive difference in the rotating weight, (rotation of gyration or something similar to that) making turning, acceleration and braking all more responsive and better, i noticed a big difference in the turn in and the feel of the car with light weight alloys on.

Feb 25, 2007
cheshire
Get an ibiza! id put up with poor handling all day everyday and have one over a gti 106. Dont get me wrong its a smart car but, i always find them raging it up my arse, thrashing the tits off them, and i come off the roundabout with them pinned to my boot i have alot of understeer and still **** them. and then there the gutted ones lol.
The cupras look so much nicer than a gti aswel, to many chav in gti nows aswel (not saying ur a chav by the way)

Adam R

Diesel ISN'T a Dirty word
Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
How do you mean? 1KG of unsprung weight has the equivelent effect on the car as having 4KG of weight in the car? Or you need the extra sprung weight to cope with the unsprung weight?

infact 1kg of unsprung mass is around 10Kg of sprung mass..

read here :

Part 1:
http://hondaswap.com/general-tech-articles/unsprung-weight-part-1-a-29057/

Part 2:
http://hondaswap.com/general-tech-articles/unsprung-weight-part-2-a-29058/

i would highly reccomend anyone who does not know about this to have a good read :)

Jamie P

May 13, 2008
Helston, Cornwall
I went from a S2 Rallye to a Cupra... The Rallye had Bilstien B8 dampers, H&R 150lb progressive springs, upper and lower braces and poly bushed wishbones... And i can say it handled like a dream... Nimble and agile, and not much could keep up round the corner... But unfortunately on the straights is where the Rallye would fall behind.

The power as with the Gti was in the higher rev range, where as the Cupra is lower down, this takes a bit of getting used to. But in comparison, for handling the 106 will always be on top in my honest opinion, but for power, comfort and ease of driving, the Cupra comes out on top...

I loved my Rallye alot, had it for 3 years, and loved every second of ownership, they are fantastic cars and i will be owning another in the future... When i can afford an everyday car and a track toy.

Jamie.

Cupra_Wob

I sold my GTi 3 weeks ago, used to love the way it used to rev and be able to throw it into corners, but i wanted something more bigger and built better so went for the cupra and love it, it's so much more quicker and comfier, defientatly go for it mate.

dicko's

350bhp IHI Ibiza
Aug 5, 2008
Hartlepool
ive got both at the mo a 350hp ihi'd ibiza and a good spec 150hp ish 106gti the ibiza is on kw varient 1 coilovers woith front and rear braces with toyo r888's. and handles very good on the road imo got a track day next week so see whats its like then lol

But the 106 is only lowered on springs not sure what make shocks and handles awesome and tbh imo wont be far off a 200hp ibiza

flooky

I had a 140bhp GTi before the cupra. I went for the cupra due to costs of keeping the GTi on the road! tbh I regret selling it over the cupra as it was so much fun and loved how it put the power down... The cupra on the other hand has been very reliable except commom problems like clutch pedal snapping and maf senors. It's quite boring to drive not because its slow but because you dont need to drive it! it drives its self! I loved the fact the GTI always made u feel like you were driving it and new how fast you were doing, something the cupra dont.

I would like to get another and have a track day car when ive got more room on the drive.

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
all about knowing how to actually drive your car and then theres no worry comparing the 2 cars in the handling department, theres far too many kev and larrys around with a years ncb belting up and down in their 106 gti or saxo vts and they think cos its a cracking piece of handling for a fwd car they can take on anything once their in the corners.

well in wales there is no shortage of windy, twisty roads, and i never have issues keeping up with the boys in their little pocket rocket sardine cans while i journey home from work. infact, since i know th roads pretty damn well, and i know my car pretty damn well too i often find myself being held up by them

stani540

Jan 21, 2007
go for one with a remap to stage one as it will save you 500 quid you'll definitley spend!

but it'd be the best 500quid ever spent for 50bhp

Edamski

go for one with a remap to stage one as it will save you 500 quid you'll definitley spend!

but it'd be the best 500quid ever spent for 50bhp

Just what i was thinking ;) could you point me in the direction of finding out how much it'll cost to get it to like the 250 mark....for future referance :D

stani540

Jan 21, 2007
well your probably looking at alot of mods which you could get on the car if your lucky

ko3s maybe ko4 turbo ko3s should be fine for 250 though
Front Mount Intercooler
custom map
G60 Clutch & Flywheel (possibly)
Big Brake Kit (possibly)
decent turbo back exhaust
lcr injectors
4 bar fpr

im not and expert though

theres loads of threads on here where people have done this so just have a search round

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.