can't enter last two digits of radio code

xenium

Have had some probs with my radio. Have managed to get it saying 1000 again, but when I go to enter my code it will not let me enter the last two digits. I can press the right buttons to enter the code but nothing happens. Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

xenium

Have had some probs with my radio. Have managed to get it saying 1000 again, but when I go to enter my code it will not let me enter the last two digits. I can press the right buttons to enter the code but nothing happens. Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
Really not sure what you mean mate. You use numbers 1-4 to enter the code, are you saying that pressing numbers 3 and 4 does nothing at all?

xenium

Can't enter last two digits of radio cod

Yes, that is exactly what I mean. Pressing 3 or 4 does not alter the digits at all, which is why I can't enter the last 2 digits of the code. Interestingly, pressing 1 changes the second digit and pressing 2 changes the first digit, and stranger still it seems to change the first two digits at times without me pressing any keys at all.

It used to be fine. I suspect that it is now simply not working, and was wondering if anyone else had had the same problem and if so what they had done to fix it... i.e disconeecting the battery or something similar.

After the trouble I have had with SEAT and this radio, I suspect it will be meeting a large hammer soon :)

olliep

Wants a mk2 GTI
Oct 3, 2005
Winchester
just to clarify you are pressing the 1-2-3-4 buttons and nothing else, followed bu holding the 'prog' button?

i.e. for 9000 - press 1, 9 times.

xenium

Yes, that is correct. Basically button 2 is changing the first digit (which it shouldn't be as that should be changed by button 1). Buttons 1, 3 and 4 do nothing at all.
Pressing the prog button was working the last time I tried it, but it is pointless at the moment as I can't enter the correct code.
I know how it should work, and was basically seeing if anyone else had had this problem and if so whether they had identified some way to fix it.

65coupe

I'm too old for this!
Sep 8, 2007
Southampton
along the same lines, I have had to disconnect the battery on my leon Cupra, and now I can't recode the radio.
I know the code, but I can't remember the sequence/instructions for getting to the "entering the code" bit.

When I turn the radio on, all I get is "SAFE" and it stays like that.
Any ideas? (sorry for hijacking the post btw)

olliep

Wants a mk2 GTI
Oct 3, 2005
Winchester
along the same lines, I have had to disconnect the battery on my leon Cupra, and now I can't recode the radio.
I know the code, but I can't remember the sequence/instructions for getting to the "entering the code" bit.

When I turn the radio on, all I get is "SAFE" and it stays like that.
Any ideas? (sorry for hijacking the post btw)

ok for example, if the code was 1234, i believe all you do is hit 1 once, 2 twice, 3 thrice and 4 fource (four times :D) then hold the 'prog' key. you may need to press 'prog' to start the process aswell. if that doesnt work let me know and i'll consult the manual.

65coupe

I'm too old for this!
Sep 8, 2007
Southampton
I got my dad to read the manual to me over the phone, but it was V E R Y hard work (he's not technical) - does the ignition need to be on, or off, or switched on whilst switching the radio on? Or maybe switching on the radio with the igntion on and pushing down the clutch with one foot whilst tapping the accelerator three times with the other foot and humming "mission impossible" through your nose...

Seriously though - with the ignition on or off, all I get is "SAFE" which stays there rather than giving me "1000" to start off...
If you could look in the manual, it would be a great help!

olliep

Wants a mk2 GTI
Oct 3, 2005
Winchester
i will do, theres a hants/berks meet on saurday, possibly at the cricketers in eastleigh, so if its not sorted come along and we can either vag-com it or do something to help!!

lee_woollett

Jan 19, 2009
northampton
i had a problem with my radio. The only way i could solve it was to leave a key in the ignition and switch the radio on, lock the car and leave it for an hour, the radio then allowed me to enter the code. You could always go for a nice long drive with the radio on and wait for it to allow you to enter the code :D

xenium

To get back to my original problem which started this thread i.e. that the radio wouldn't allow me to enter the digits as some of the buttons weren't responding.....

I resorted to trying it each time I drove the car, and lo and behold today the buttons were working fine and allowed me to enter the code. There is no rhyme or reason to it, I haven't disconnected the battery since the problem occurred, it simply decided to work after an extended period of not working.

Perhaps it was just sulking, as it strangely started working again after I took the car out and drove it the way a Cupra should be driven!

So my advice to anyone with a similar problem, is to take their car for a blast. It may not fix your problem, but you should feel better :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members