Car built but waiting for a part??

Big A

Jul 7, 2021
It probably will.....the broker told me it probably would..I ordered a tow bar and met black paint but it's the tow bar that will slow it down
The options I’ve ordered are graphine grey with the blue leather and the virtual tailgate. Wouldn’t have thought the paint and leather would be too much of an issue, it’s more the tailgate that worry will hold up the build further.

EuKiwi

Jul 7, 2021
Bavaria, Germany
The options I’ve ordered are graphine grey with the blue leather and the virtual tailgate. Wouldn’t have thought the paint and leather would be too much of an issue, it’s more the tailgate that worry will hold up the build further.
I ticked every option there was basically (except top view camera, which wasn't available at the time) and it didn't seem to make a difference to the build date.

Reactions: Big A

Big A

Jul 7, 2021
I ticked every option there was basically (except top view camera, which wasn't available at the time) and it didn't seem to make a difference to the build date.
Thanks, that’s good to know. Having sold back my 1 Series to the dealer as it was too good a deal to refuse, I’m currently driving around in a 15 year old mk5 Golf which is a bit temperamental, so can’t wait to just get a build date so I can start counting down the weeks.

Reactions: EuKiwi

EuKiwi

Jul 7, 2021
Bavaria, Germany
Thanks, that’s good to know. Having sold back my 1 Series to the dealer as it was too good a deal to refuse, I’m currently driving around in a 15 year old mk5 Golf which is a bit temperamental, so can’t wait to just get a build date so I can start counting down the weeks.
Hahah yeah I know the feeling - my lease end date for my previous car was looming so I was keen to get the new one on the driveway so as not to be without...

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Supplier is irrelevant when it comes to the IC shortage though. The suppliers all need ICs and there are just a few IC fab companies in the world, with no capacity left. Unavoidable. It's the same reason you can't buy a PS5 at the moment.

It’s chip suppliers I’m referring to, companies are bought out then shut down and super factories built, but when things go wrong there is no one to take up the slack.

EuKiwi

Jul 7, 2021
Bavaria, Germany
It’s chip suppliers I’m referring to, companies are bought out then shut down and super factories built, but when things go wrong there is no one to take up the slack.

As I mentioned though, companies with facilities/fabs for IC production are very limited, especially with more modern lithography - there's only a handful of them, and all car part suppliers such as Bosch don't make their own chips, they design them, or use off-the shelf designs under license, but they're all manufactured by companies such as Globalfoundries, TSMC, Samsung etc... they're still there doing what they always do, with nothing being shut down or bought out... but those companies have limited wafer capacity, especially on smaller process nodes (for more modern, and heat/power efficient chips) and it's pretty much a first-come, first-served basis.

Demand has simply skyrocketed, whereas production capacity for modern lithography (14nm and smaller) hasn't increased for the simple reason it takes multiple billions of dollars to creation a new fab, as well as several years. There's plans for new fabs, but again - long time in the making. Samsung announced a new one recently - US$17 Billion to build it.

And yes I work in the industry in case it wasn't obvious hahah

Reactions: Seriously?

EuKiwi

Jul 7, 2021
Bavaria, Germany
As I mentioned though, companies with facilities/fabs for IC production are very limited, especially with more modern lithography - there's only a handful of them, and all car part suppliers such as Bosch don't make their own chips, they design them, or use off-the shelf designs under license, but they're all manufactured by companies such as Globalfoundries, TSMC, Samsung etc... they're still there doing what they always do, with nothing being shut down or bought out... but those companies have limited wafer capacity, especially on smaller process nodes (for more modern, and heat/power efficient chips) and it's pretty much a first-come, first-served basis.

Demand has simply skyrocketed, whereas production capacity for modern lithography (14nm and smaller) hasn't increased for the simple reason it takes multiple billions of dollars to creation a new fab, as well as several years. There's plans for new fabs, but again - long time in the making. Samsung announced a new one recently - US$17 Billion to build it.

Oh, and out of interest, one of the reasons (other than cars just becoming more and more packed to the gills with ICs) for the problem with production capacity is COVID - the explosion in laptop demand because of home schooling was quite significant. Oh, and the new Playstation/Xbox launching at the same time didn't help :)

4Mentor

May 19, 2021

If you work in the industry do you have any idea when I will likely get my car??? Lol

Reactions: EuKiwi

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018

Interesting stuff (y)
But I'm currently on a diet, so could you go easy on the Wafers, Chips and Fabs please 😋

Reactions: Agnes.Surrey

butterycrumpet

Dividing by zero
Apr 28, 2021
Cheshire, UK
Just phoned Leasing Options - they gave me the order number (SLI) and told me to ring Cupra to see if they know more.

Leasing Options also said none of their orders with Cupra were built in June. None!

Did that and they said they (Cupra) can't help, and I should refer back to the selling retailer (I didn't tell them it's a lease)

Looks like we are in for a summer and possibly autumn of unknowns!

Big A

Jul 7, 2021
Just phoned Leasing Options - they gave me the order number (SLI) and told me to ring Cupra to see if they know more.

Leasing Options also said none of their orders with Cupra were built in June. None!

Did that and they said they (Cupra) can't help, and I should refer back to the selling retailer (I didn't tell them it's a lease)

Looks like we are in for a summer and possibly autumn of unknowns!
I can see a lot of orders being cancelled by customers. If mine stretches beyond January next year I may well be one of them.

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
Ordered a vz2 mid April and was given a build week of 27.

Been told today that my car was supposed to be built mid June but no idea if it has or not. So I got in touch with cupra directly to be told my car is built but its waiting for a part that is on backorder. They can't give me an ETA on when this will arrive and be fitted.
I read on another forum, that missing part is SOS module.

Big A

Jul 7, 2021

4Mentor

May 19, 2021
Dealer called me today apparently they can't get any further information from cupra themselves and just been told waiting for the chip but no eta known. They've raised it into some csc process and given me a reference. I wouldn't hold out hope if you're waiting for a vz2 soon.

EuKiwi

Jul 7, 2021
Bavaria, Germany
Some further updates here from the IC market in general - whilst it's not specific to auto parts, backlogs of CPUs, GPUs, mobile chipsets and the like are now slowly clearing. CPU supplies for example are pretty much back to normal, so it's a good sign for pending orders.

4Mentor

May 19, 2021
Some further updates here from the IC market in general - whilst it's not specific to auto parts, backlogs of CPUs, GPUs, mobile chipsets and the like are now slowly clearing. CPU supplies for example are pretty much back to normal, so it's a good sign for pending orders.
Ty for update.

I can vouch as well I actually managed to buy a ps5 other day so must be true lol

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise