Car built but waiting for a part??

4Mentor

May 19, 2021
Ordered a vz2 mid April and was given a build week of 27.

Been told today that my car was supposed to be built mid June but no idea if it has or not. So I got in touch with cupra directly to be told my car is built but its waiting for a part that is on backorder. They can't give me an ETA on when this will arrive and be fitted.

Didnt get any more detail than that and was advised to speak to my local sales manager, the person who thought the car wasn't built yet.

Any one had any similar experience or got any idea what the issue is, how long the delay is going to be etc?

I'm really starting to regret ordering my first ever new car, which I thought was supposed to be a nice pleasant experience....running out of summer to enjoy it.

EuKiwi

Jul 7, 2021
Bavaria, Germany
Ordered a vz2 mid April and was given a build week of 27.

Been told today that my car was supposed to be built mid June but no idea if it has or not. So I got in touch with cupra directly to be told my car is built but its waiting for a part that is on backorder. They can't give me an ETA on when this will arrive and be fitted.

Didnt get any more detail than that and was advised to speak to my local sales manager, the person who thought the car wasn't built yet.

Any one had any similar experience or got any idea what the issue is, how long the delay is going to be etc?

I'm really starting to regret ordering my first ever new car, which I thought was supposed to be a nice pleasant experience....running out of summer to enjoy it.
This is common for pretty much all cars at the moment, sadly, due to the global IC shortage...

4Mentor

May 19, 2021
Cant see the article without subscribing can you link the good bits by any chance?

Trying to decide what to do here lol very difficult as I will need a car this year but obviously want the one I've bought.

Strange how I've been told mine has already been built and most people seem to have their build date put back for this reason.

butterycrumpet

Dividing by zero
Apr 28, 2021
Cheshire, UK
Cant see the article without subscribing can you link the good bits by any chance?

Trying to decide what to do here lol very difficult as I will need a car this year but obviously want the one I've bought.

Strange how I've been told mine has already been built and most people seem to have their build date put back for this reason.
Sure

Attachments

• Chip shortage to last until at least mid-2022, warns manufacturer | Financial Times.pdf
    675.8 KB · Views: 178

butterycrumpet

Dividing by zero
Apr 28, 2021
Cheshire, UK
Cheers.

Well that doesn't sound so good.
Yep, it's hard to stomach.... I take solace in imagining how VW and other automakers feel right now, they aren't able to make any cars to sell but still have to pay their bills! Not to mention stockpile non-chip parts that can't be made into cars. We have it easy, sat back waiting for our cars ain't costing us money.

Big A

Jul 7, 2021
That doesn't sound promising. Ordered mine on 1st July and was told I should have the car in December. The dealer said that this was the worst case timescale and it could be ready earlier, but they give a bit longer so not to disappoint. From the looks of it December could be a real possibility if not longer.

4Mentor

May 19, 2021
That doesn't sound promising. Ordered mine on 1st July and was told I should have the car in December. The dealer said that this was the worst case timescale and it could be ready earlier, but they give a bit longer so not to disappoint. From the looks of it December could be a real possibility if not longer.
In April my dealer originally told me the delivery time was 10 weeks from order.

Several weeks later that changed to August.

My dealer told me in June not to worry about the chip delays after I raised concerns and said my order would be proceeding as planned, it only effected orders made recently.

My dealer also told me my car was being built 2nd week of July. When I called they said it was supposed to be built mid June actually but had no idea of the status.

So yeah I'd expect the dealers know about as much as we do but are going to continue to sell anyway of course. So they'll fob you off with the usual rubbish

Reactions: martin j. and Big A

Big A

Jul 7, 2021
In April my dealer originally told me the delivery time was 10 weeks from order.

Several weeks later that changed to August.

My dealer told me in June not to worry about the chip delays after I raised concerns and said my order would be proceeding as planned, it only effected orders made recently.

My dealer also told me my car was being built 2nd week of July. When I called they said it was supposed to be built mid June actually but had no idea of the status.

So yeah I'd expect the dealers know about as much as we do but are going to continue to sell anyway of course. So they'll fob you off with the usual rubbish
I've not even got a build date yet, although to be fair it's only been two weeks since ordering. I've added a couple of options as well, so hope that doesn't affect the build as well.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
That’s what happens when you you stick all your eggs in one basket(supplier), chickens come home now.

Cuprakash

May 9, 2021
I've not even got a build date yet, although to be fair it's only been two weeks since ordering. I've added a couple of options as well, so hope that doesn't affect the build as well.
It probably will.....the broker told me it probably would..I ordered a tow bar and met black paint but it's the tow bar that will slow it down

EuKiwi

Jul 7, 2021
Bavaria, Germany
That’s what happens when you you stick all your eggs in one basket(supplier), chickens come home now.
Supplier is irrelevant when it comes to the IC shortage though. The suppliers all need ICs and there are just a few IC fab companies in the world, with no capacity left. Unavoidable. It's the same reason you can't buy a PS5 at the moment.

stubby276

May 4, 2021
I ordered in April (V2 190bhp) and was originally given approx build date of wk26, moved to wk 24, then week 36! Last week I contacted my dealer and was told was being built last week (wk27), so whilst it is all a bit all over the place, things do seem to be moving. My dealer is fully expecting to hand over the car in 3weeks or so. I wonder if the shortages of certain parts/chips depend on models as it sounds like VZ2 or VZ3 are the current ones being delayed. Hopefully those who have been given revised dates/no dates will get some good news too like I did

Reactions: Big A

EuKiwi

Jul 7, 2021
Bavaria, Germany
I ordered in April (V2 190bhp) and was originally given approx build date of wk26, moved to wk 24, then week 36! Last week I contacted my dealer and was told was being built last week (wk27), so whilst it is all a bit all over the place, things do seem to be moving. My dealer is fully expecting to hand over the car in 3weeks or so. I wonder if the shortages of certain parts/chips depend on models as it sounds like VZ2 or VZ3 are the current ones being delayed. Hopefully those who have been given revised dates/no dates will get some good news too like I did

I ordered mine in November last year, was given a delviery date of April, and then was contacted in February saying it was at the dealer... quite surprising as this was also right in the heat of the IC shortage, but I'm guessing they had some supplies stockpiled.

Reactions: Big A
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.