car cutting out - fixed!

cus

... Vag only!
Feb 8, 2004
Middlesbrough
www.nemm.co.uk
hey people..

my cars starting to cut out on me. :(

it will do it very randomly, and only when i'm either changing gear or when i put my foot on the clutch to stop..

the revs just fall and yeah, it cuts out!
it wont do it all the time though, which is the strange bit!
the steering has also become a bit heavier as well, and the car just doesnt seem to be 'feeling' like it has in the past..

only thing i've done recently is put my battery in the boot, but after problems with the car taking a while to start, i've moved it all back into the engine bay.

i've checked for vacuum leaks, and checked all the grounding and it is all fine.

i've guessing some sort of idle control valve..? if so, where is it located please :)

sparkie1984

sparky
Aug 17, 2008
used to be a common issue on my pug 306 i think it was a stepper motor? not sure what it is though as im useless at cars lol dont even know if its the same, just throwing an idea in :)

sparkie1984

sparky
Aug 17, 2008
yeah i had to clean the stepper motor (im sure thats what it was called, it may of been an icv valve?) whenever id dip the clutch pulling up to a junction it would stall. was a right pain in the ass!

just whipped it out and gave it a clean up and all was well again.

sorry its not very helpful, lol as said i dont even know if we have one but always worth a punt! :)

cus

... Vag only!
Feb 8, 2004
Middlesbrough
www.nemm.co.uk
ah right okay :D
i'm guessing its something a long the lines of..

throttle body..
idle control valve..

thats about it lol. is there some sort of idle control vavle on these cars that i can check/clean?? :)

sparkie1984

sparky
Aug 17, 2008
im not sure what we have on these, obviously we have a throttle body, but apart form that no idea dude sorry :(

Mully

Fezza 1.4 At the moment!
Apr 22, 2008
North East England
Alright Cus, this is djm90 of nemm, i would first check the throttle body and see how it goes from there, hopefully nothing to major.

RichN

Collecting Rings
Jan 29, 2005
Oxford
www.Oxford7s.net
Throttle body adaptation (TBA) is done when you turn the key to the position before the car is started (and don't start the car!) you don't need Vag-Com.

leave the bonnet open and you'll hear a high pitch motor whine for around 20 seconds... this is the throttle body finding it's range of movement and then setting itself back to 'home'. Do it when the engine is cold!

cus

... Vag only!
Feb 8, 2004
Middlesbrough
www.nemm.co.uk
thanks reuvers! :)

does anyone have any other ideas as to what could be causing my car to cut out?

it could get dangerous if i dont get it into gear quick enough, as it'll just cut out :(

RichN

Collecting Rings
Jan 29, 2005
Oxford
www.Oxford7s.net