Car image in infotainment

yanivkoval

Jul 20, 2017
Is there any why to pick inside the current firmware for stored images ?
Or
Extract them, edit via photoshop and put back

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Tell

Staff member
My reading said the VW tool ODIS so not possible to upload.

The firmware thread uses ones for the standard unit identified by again our Spanish friends. You might be able to find the firmware. I have never changed the firmware in the car myself. If it's like the high unit maps it will be locked down with an SLA1 signature, so if you found the images you might be hard pressed to change it since you have to generate the signature again from the private key. Public key is know but that's of little use to the average person without the private key and that's the secret. It's the same key public and private across all VAG products since you can work through the logic, which I've done with the public key. Retrofitters know ways of side stepping this, probably. In the mapping thread I went through the logic to show how the keys work for the hell of it. It was interesting that everything uses the same private key... That which we don't know.

You could go on a mission of finding the firmware for interest but I wouldn't attempt to change it without reading the topic. That may be the solution if their is a future update if that's the issue.

Best bet at the minute till a Cupra Ateca owners shows up with their 5F code map is a Google for one. Haven't found one yet thou. Reckon those byte codes would be transferable on model. If identical to yours then it would seem Seat left the images out of the standard unit.

Probably people with Ateca Cupra's in the UK don't mess with them. The PCP schemes for funding cars in the UK mean you dont own them if you go the PCP route, so PCP people don't really fiddle with them since it isn't theirs to fiddle with. Diehard people will do or just purchase them outright. Has a bearing with UK cars and coding. I own mine so fiddle with it :). Got the boiler service engineer interested in the Obdeleven when he arrived, driving a VW :). Oil burner like his car.

Last edited:
Reactions: yanivkoval

NZ_Cupra

Jul 20, 2019
To me, the image that Boy Racer posted looks like it is from the Active Info Display and not the Infotainment unit. I wouldn’t be surprised to find that he probably has the SEAT image on the Infotainment as well. Being that they have used the Ateca FR it looks very similar to the CUPRA, just the wheels and badge are different so easy not to notice.

I played around with the coding yesterday and change Byte 2 Car Derivate it would only switch between the Ateca (Bit 6) and Leon (all other Bits). Changing Byte 2 Car Derivate Supplement when set to be Ateca only changed between the standard Ateca and Tarraco.

I would say that they have only loaded a single image for each model car on the Infotainment unit and not included the CUPRA versions. This was also my experience when I had the Tiguan, I could change between all the different model VWs (Tiguan, Golf, Golf Variant, Arteon, Touareg etc) but the was only a single image for each and not the different sub models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tell and yanivkoval

NZ_Cupra

Jul 20, 2019
Thanks. Is yours a standard infotainment unit for the record.

We await to hear from @BoyRacer.

Yes I believe it is, also the older type with physical buttons:

6dbd6ae97efee482c449d82ae636782c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoyRacer

SUV time!
Aug 5, 2016
This may get a little messy but we'll see how it goes!

See image below for Ateca ones values... thanks to the Spanish Ateca board. I suspect Boyracer's is set to 2. If you all got 2 but different results then I suspect the image in the standard and high units is different. They run different firmware, different hardware.
Will check shortly.
Boyracer's value is the key. If he's not got a 2 or 0 or something else then we are looking at another field.
As above.
but I reckon the key is what Boyracer has in his and yours and the difference is that we have standard and high / plus firmware in play.
Wonder if anyone has published their Ateca Cupra VCDS map.
Hmmm. How do I do that @Tell ?
Ok I changed that value, first image 0, second image 2 on the boot screen of the unit. Didn't notice a big change in the cars image. Of course we don't know whether production Ateca Cupra use the value of 2 and my firmware probably is pre Ateca Cupra... this is a carry over from the Seat model range. Mines a high unit with the firmware mentioned above. So I get that graphic in the second image with a supposed Ateca Cupra on the carry over coding from the model range. Wonder if its anything like Boyracers ?. Need his codes to resolve for you people with issues with the standard unit.

I guess the standard unit Ateca Cupras need something other than a zero in byte 18 :). Set mine back to 0.:). If you got a zero then yes that isn't right for a Cupra.

The other avenue to explore is to find the long coding for the infotainment unit of a Seat Ateca posted online.

Related post below, see post 8, points to bytes 1 to 2 as well. I have added my screen on that. We need Boyracer or anyone with a correct working graphics. My screen is the defacto non Cupra Ateca with a high unit. That the contents. I'd expect an Ateca Cupra to have different values.

You need to explore these against an Ateca Cupra's to resolve the image as well. A bit loath to change what I have working in bytes 1 and 2.So I reckon byte 18, byte 1 and 2 are the ones to concentrate on for comparison.
Is that different to the VCDS map mentioned above?
Best bet at the minute till a Cupra Ateca owners shows up with their 5F code map is a Google for one. Haven't found one yet thou. Reckon those byte codes would be transferable on model. If identical to yours then it would seem Seat left the images out of the standard unit.
Something else for me to do then? ;)
To me, the image that Boy Racer posted looks like it is from the Active Info Display and not the Infotainment unit. I wouldn’t be surprised to find that he probably has the SEAT image on the Infotainment as well.
I have Cupra images in both.

Off to do a VCDS scan to see where we go from here.

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
Great that's what we want.

I can then try those settings in my high just in case the firmware is populated with those and the standard owners can try your values in those key slots. I have sneaky suspicion that the standard unit fitted to a Cupra isn't populated with the images or left the factory wrongly setup.:D.

If you can get VCDS to oblige with these and byte 18 plus the long code map for study although that will have high stuff in it beyond the standard.
20200723_112407.png

BoyRacer

SUV time!
Aug 5, 2016
Great that's what we want.

I can then try those settings in my high just in case the firmware is populated with those and the standard owners can try your values in those key slots. I have sneaky suspicion that the standard unit fitted to a Cupra isn't populated with the images or left the factory wrongly setup.:D.

If you can get VCDS to oblige with these and byte 18 plus the long code map for study although that will have high stuff in it beyond the standard. View attachment 16813
Hopefully this will help for the time being:-

Address 5F: Information Electr. (J794) Labels:| 5F0-035-MIB-HGH2.clb
Part No SW: 5F0 035 020 H HW: 5F0 035 020
Component: MU-H-ND-EU H55 1409
Serial number: A678K0JB014463
Coding: 04230601FF00000011110101008808212F050AE601200400DE
Shop #: WSC 33361 790 00111
ASAM Dataset: EV_MUHig6C1Gen2HBAS 001001
ROD: EV_MUHig6C1Gen2HBAS.rod
VCID: 1D67D8EFFD3D620358D-8048

Operating And Display Unit 1:
Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 575 919 606 HW: 575 919 606
Component: ABT_High-2_N H41 1041
Serial number: SEZ8Z9V1S02LVR

Data medium:
Subsystem 2 - Part No SW: V03 959 802 MN HW: -----------
Component: ECE 2019 --- 0172
Serial number: --------------------

Compact Disc Database:
Subsystem 3 - Part No SW: V03 959 800 EG HW: -----------
Component: Gracenote2 --- 1017
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Controller 5F Scan.jpg

As for the byte 18, I seem to think there was a lack of information other than car brands and a few car types - of which the Cupra wasn't one of them. Will need to update on this tomorrow as there was also a mention about Developer Mode when I started VCDS and I said no to that. Will next try a yes to see if any other info comes up.

Tell

Staff member
Hopefully this will help for the time being:-

Address 5F: Information Electr. (J794) Labels:| 5F0-035-MIB-HGH2.clb
Part No SW: 5F0 035 020 H HW: 5F0 035 020
Component: MU-H-ND-EU H55 1409
Serial number: A678K0JB014463
Coding: 04230601FF00000011110101008808212F050AE601200400DE
Shop #: WSC 33361 790 00111
ASAM Dataset: EV_MUHig6C1Gen2HBAS 001001
ROD: EV_MUHig6C1Gen2HBAS.rod
VCID: 1D67D8EFFD3D620358D-8048

Operating And Display Unit 1:
Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 575 919 606 HW: 575 919 606
Component: ABT_High-2_N H41 1041
Serial number: SEZ8Z9V1S02LVR

Data medium:
Subsystem 2 - Part No SW: V03 959 802 MN HW: -----------
Component: ECE 2019 --- 0172

Compact Disc Database:
Subsystem 3 - Part No SW: V03 959 800 EG HW: -----------
Component: Gracenote2 --- 1017
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
View attachment 16815

As for the byte 18, I seem to think there was a lack of information other than car brands and a few car types - of which the Cupra wasn't one of them. Will need to update on this tomorrow as there was also a mention about Developer Mode when I started VCDS and I said no to that. Will next try a yes to see if any other info comes up.

I'll study that thanks... let the other bright sparks do that as well :).

In the meantime I can tell you what the developers mode is, it protects the back end menu which gives you access to SWDL. That's the screen you use for map updates into retrofit units but won't work if your navigation FeC won't allow it. Locks you out of the navigation menu. Been there, done that. Quite a few people have as well. You need to get yourself out of this mess by loading up a map that is date stamped allowed, like the original or whatever the FeC allows. That's why I published the table when I worked it out by trial and error, Walones trial and error and an Audi Russian post that described the Hex code... slid the table along for the Seat leading codes to get the back end characters to match our experience with our navigation FeC before and after they were altered in the retrofit.

The SWDL menu is also used by people updating the firmware - have never done that Walone has. Once developers menu is activated a long menu press gets you there, first level, keep holding second level menu. Second level menu you get locked out of if the developers menu isn't enabled. At one stage only Odbeleven allowed you to unlock the menu... if we are not at cross purposes, suspect not. Then it took a period for the unit to first take it. Seatcupra people posting on the Obdeleven board told me that, they were right. It appeared after a day - weird... Think it was building the screens or something in the unit. Mib1 units had the developers menu unlocked, mib2 you have to do it yourself.... stops wandering hands.

Reactions: BoyRacer

Tell

Staff member
We have launch control :).

Ok looking at the long coding which I think you did as well shows as a Standard Seat Ateca in the first bytes 0 to 3. Byte 18, screening, has a 0A in it, 10 in decimal. That code does indeed control all 5F screens, the splash screen and the car menu least in the high unit.

Thus I reckon Cupra owners with the standard navi unit should just change byte 18 to 0A or 10 decimal if you put it in that way. I've included the Obdeleven screen to assist if you need the bit entr bit 1 & 3 set, rest unchecked if VCDS works that way. Give it a go and long press on on/off button till it reboots. Failing that Seat haven't added the Cupra onto the unit. The other byte setting 0 - 3 are as my previous screens. Just byte 18 needs working on to make it a Cupra.

Sorry about my grubby screen... well I am a 190 DSG 4Drive diesel driver. Changed mine back to zero so the dealer doesn't have kittens.

Thanks @BoyRacer for the long string. I passed it and compared it with mine in my 1338 firmware high unit. Let us know how it goes on those standard unit Ateca Cupra's in foreign parts.
20200723_161136.jpg
20200723_161152.jpg
20200723_161244.jpg
Screenshot_20200723-161802.png
Screenshot_20200723-161331.png

yanivkoval

Jul 20, 2017
Tell, my coding is exactly the same in Byte 0-3 and Byte 18.

I have the CUPRA boot screen, but the car is regular Ateca.

16adbd8d83ce9ecc7bf69b45aa394d4b.jpg

36b8f41280e6904bb056a3bee861158d.jpg

Those are the options I have in the list for Byte 0-3

89a70ce2942bb6b95c48e90356eae5cd.jpg

Looks like we simply dont have the image

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
Indeed that must be the case. Got down to the bottom of it. Either the standard ones uses bytes 0-3 rather than everything on the splash screen and it's left off that area or left out of byte 18. It is only a standard unit thou;). Wonder if other models get to see car features driven by those early bytes of the standard unit or whether it's just how the standard unit works. I got access to an Arona with the standard unit so will examine to see how dumb it is over car images if indeed there is anything to show different on those cars....

Last edited:

BoyRacer

SUV time!
Aug 5, 2016
You don't appear to have the current VCDS - unless that is the latest version in your language?

Anyway, I've had a look to confirm yesterday's thoughts re the lack of info and here's the screenshots for what they're worth.
5F-0-1.jpg

5F-1-1.jpg

5F-1-2.jpg

5F-2-1.jpg

5F-2-2.jpg

One thing I did notice (which may well be common knowledge though) is that Byte 17 refers to skinning which might be something people would like to alter to change their screen background? <<< Trying to appear as though I know what I'm talking about! ;)

Reactions: yanivkoval

yanivkoval

Jul 20, 2017
Indeed, I am using the latest VCDS in my language

Your pictures show that you were using the newer connection protocol UDS/ODX/ASAM.

Try to connect with the old protocol and you will see that the Byte data is like mine and contains more data.

BoyRacer

SUV time!
Aug 5, 2016
Your pictures show that you were using the newer connection protocol UDS/ODX/ASAM.

Try to connect with the old protocol and you will see that the Byte data is like mine and contains more data.
Thanks.
I'll have a look at that later to see if anything extra can be gleaned.

yanivkoval

Jul 20, 2017
Boyrace, he has changed the skin on 17, I noticed that ;). He's got the diamond pattern that is called something or other matches what you could get in the old FIS. Keep mine pure and simple for visibility.
Carbon background
And I did not change that, it was like this from factory.

yanivkoval

Jul 20, 2017
Oh must be the high spec one... that's quid pro quo for the missing images :).
quid pro quo 4 sure

As for the Carbon background, this image was the in all my previous cars and I always activated that

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.