Car spat an intercooler hose today!!!

Rael

TDi - Smokin'!
Jul 9, 2008
Gatwick
What...a...day, I've had! Granted, I'm still alive but compared to a normal day this was pretty bad!

Last night on the way home I noticed a wooshing noise in time with the turbo, but much louder than normal. Thought little of it, got home. Then, this morning, got in and started on my way to work, was still wooshing, then all of a sudden BANG! Called AA, turned out to be the n/s/f pipe that sits just behind the bumper and goes straight into the intercooler.

So, they patched it up and off I went, safe in the knowledge the AA assured me it would be fine for a good while, even suggesting I didn't have to get it sorted before the next service!!!!!!

All was well, but to be on the safe side I pretended Miss Daisy was in the back.

BANG!!!!!!!! Off it pops again! AA come out and patch it up. This time, a much longer job involving bits of wire and an assortment of other things to hold it in place. So, its home now, thank god, and booked in with SEAT on Friday.

What I'd be interested to know is, a) has anyone else ever had this problem, and b) has anything I have done, such as REVO'ing it, been a catalyst of this issue. Or, was it just a dud clip that snapped?

A big thank you to David at SERE in NI to being on the end of the phone when it went bang the first time, you're a true gent!

stu38

Mar 8, 2007
Essex
Hi guys yep happened to me also last year, was in outside lane m25 when that happened got very exciting trying to get over to hard shoulder!! Aa come done a fix but blew off twice again on way home anyway dealer fixed it and said seat have modified the clip holder now and must admit it been fine now, the guy there did say it a known problem they should sort for you:)

Rael

TDi - Smokin'!
Jul 9, 2008
Gatwick
Well, turns out it needs a new intercooler and pipe! Bad news is they can't get hold of one til next Tues, so I'll be Leonless til then. Good news is, my warranty is being honoured by SEAT so it'll all be covered. Bonus!

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
In the "good old days" it was the norm to fit two clips side by side on any pressure hose assembly - but hay ho it saves a few pence here and there, so what if it upsets the customer. ............................

S2TTB

The fake K1...
Apr 28, 2008
Glesga
What...a...day, I've had! Granted, I'm still alive but compared to a normal day this was pretty bad!

Last night on the way home I noticed a wooshing noise in time with the turbo, but much louder than normal. Thought little of it, got home. Then, this morning, got in and started on my way to work, was still wooshing, then all of a sudden BANG! Called AA, turned out to be the n/s/f pipe that sits just behind the bumper and goes straight into the intercooler.

So, they patched it up and off I went, safe in the knowledge the AA assured me it would be fine for a good while, even suggesting I didn't have to get it sorted before the next service!!!!!!

All was well, but to be on the safe side I pretended Miss Daisy was in the back.

BANG!!!!!!!! Off it pops again! AA come out and patch it up. This time, a much longer job involving bits of wire and an assortment of other things to hold it in place. So, its home now, thank god, and booked in with SEAT on Friday.

What I'd be interested to know is, a) has anyone else ever had this problem, and b) has anything I have done, such as REVO'ing it, been a catalyst of this issue. Or, was it just a dud clip that snapped?

A big thank you to David at SERE in NI to being on the end of the phone when it went bang the first time, you're a true gent!

had this happen with mine after a rather spirited drive a couple weeks back.

the spring loaded clip between the pipes had a crack in it... replaced, and off i was on my merry way again[B)]

btw...did u not notice a total loss of power when u heard the noise? mine was pretty much dead as the turbo was just blowing away into fresh air :lol:

Rael

TDi - Smokin'!
Jul 9, 2008
Gatwick
Mine is with SEAT now, having a new clit AND intercooler installed, so I should hopefully soon be on my merry way too.

And yes, total loss of power. After a loud pop (must have been the physical noise of the pipe jumping off, no power at all. Could just about move it using the clutch, no throttle.

So annoying such a tiny piece of equipment can cause a total loss of power!