Car starting rough..cough splutter die

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Hey guys, need some help! car was feeling a little rough and sluggish yesterday and then his morning went to start it and all im getting after about 30 seconds is idle dropping and the car coughs n splutters before almost cutting out (I switch it off before it cuts out).

There are no warning lights on the dash so any ideas?

its a 2001 lc

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
that could be an option...how do you go about cleaning it? I might do a quick search before anyone suggests it lol!

Also just had the RAC pop out to it and basically warmed the car up and then it seemed to idle and drive fine, so they said its dificult to tell without anything that has totally failed but it could be something to do with the cold start system?

ArosaRacer

Wee man returns in a fL mk2 cupra
Aug 28, 2005
Bayview, Kent
on your intate manifold theres a box with a wire going into it,

hold on for two mins i'll take a piccy of it, yours is a LC not a LCR?

ArosaRacer

Wee man returns in a fL mk2 cupra
Aug 28, 2005
Bayview, Kent
right here goes

180 LC
DSCF0013-1.jpg

were the finger points is the TB

DSCF0012.jpg

undo the vac hose and the fly by wire throttle and remove the IC hose, then remove the 4 bolts holding TB to inlet, these are a 5mm allen key

once off you may see lots of black cack on the TB clean this off using Brake and clutch cleaner, once you've done this refit, should take you 1 hour tops.

Then clean the mess you've made on draining board before Mum/wife/mistress/nan/or who ever owns said part of kitchen

Last edited:

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
well been to halfords and got some cleaner, came back cleaned it all up and its looking good so far! Also did a tb/ecu reset using the battery disconnect method and took the car for a spin and it feels much better!

no sign of the rough idle so just have to wait and see if that shows up again!

When i took the tb off it wasn't as dirty as I expected.....until I saw the difference from when it is clean! It's now spotless.

There was a sensor position just after the tb inside the inlet...what is it? It was covered in crap to so gave it a gentle clean with some tissue.

Just wish I had the time and expertise to take my whole engine apart and clean it up as nice as my tb ha ha!

Is there anywhere else that could benefit as much from a squirt with the cleaner?

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
air filter only a month or so old but gave it a little shake out! After the improvement it made to my car from cleaning up the tb I wanna gain more now from cleaning something else lol

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members