CarPlay Disconnecting/Reconnecting

Jul 26, 2022
Hi Guys,

Has anyone had a similar issue to this?

My CarPlay was working just fine. since I got the Car nearly a year ago. No issues at all. I was having the popping/SOS problem so took it in to the dealer, and they updated me to 1896. I haven't had the SOS problem since, everything has been great.

I'd been using my car for a few week with 1896, and on Tuesday (which incidentally was the hottest day on record in the UK ever recorded), my CarPlay started disconnecting/reconnecting every 30-60 seconds. I've tried everything I can think of - iPhone Settings reset/Network reset, removing/repairing, restarting infotainment unit. I even tried my phone on my friends ID.3 (which was fine) and my missus iPhone SE on my Leon (this also disconnects). There are no problems when using CarPlay wired, however this is not the way I want to be using CarPlay.

Also I noted this morning, when trying to repair the phone after removing it, it doesn't really want to know. Once I've plugged it in and connected, I can then unplug it and it will connect again, but it will then disconnect/reconnect.

Any ideas?

Aug 8, 2021
Hi Guys,

Has anyone had a similar issue to this?

My CarPlay was working just fine. since I got the Car nearly a year ago. No issues at all. I was having the popping/SOS problem so took it in to the dealer, and they updated me to 1896. I haven't had the SOS problem since, everything has been great.

I'd been using my car for a few week with 1896, and on Tuesday (which incidentally was the hottest day on record in the UK ever recorded), my CarPlay started disconnecting/reconnecting every 30-60 seconds. I've tried everything I can think of - iPhone Settings reset/Network reset, removing/repairing, restarting infotainment unit. I even tried my phone on my friends ID.3 (which was fine) and my missus iPhone SE on my Leon (this also disconnects). There are no problems when using CarPlay wired, however this is not the way I want to be using CarPlay.

Also I noted this morning, when trying to repair the phone after removing it, it doesn't really want to know. Once I've plugged it in and connected, I can then unplug it and it will connect again, but it will then disconnect/reconnect.

Any ideas?
I have the exact same issue with mine. Tried with iPhone 12 and 13. Mine also worked fine for a year. Now when connecting via a wired connection it’s ok but if I try a wireless connection it constantly disconnects and reconnects in a never ending cycle. Did you ever find a fix?

Sep 20, 2022
I’ve been having similar issues the last few days, it seems to have coincided with me updating to IOS 16. The car will connect fine wirelessly, before disconnecting every 60 seconds, then reconnecting again. Very annoying

Jul 26, 2022
I was on the iOS 16 dev beta when it started happening, but i was running it for a few weeks without issue before it started happening. My missus had an iPhone SE at the time on 15.4 that disconnected in the same manner, so I have to believe it's a problem with the car.

I took it to the dealership, and they apparently managed to get an iPhone 12 connected without issue, even though I had tried about 6 different models and OS versions and all did the same thing. They took a video of what was happening, and said they were sending it off to 'technical'... I've heard nothing since and still have the issue.

Aug 8, 2021
Did you ever get anywhere with this? I only got a dealer saying they could replicate the problem but didn’t know what caused it and therefore had no fix.

stevemc81

Oct 25, 2013
Mine had been working fine for a year but after a recent car software update I've started to get a sort of black-screen-of-death occasionally where CarPlay just won't display.

You can still control it with Siri, weirdly, and the Seat OS works fine but the only way I've found to recover CarPlay from that state is to turn the car completely off and on again.

Jan 12, 2023
Reluctantly, I think I will try a factory reset to see if that helps but will be annoying to loose all the settings as we managed to get the keys to work with two different users

Mar 6, 2023
Reluctantly, I think I will try a factory reset to see if that helps but will be annoying to loose all the settings as we managed to get the keys to work with two different users
Hi Phil did you ever get this resolved? My CarPlay worked fine for over a year and only recently it started disconnecting almost every minute.

Jul 26, 2022
Hi Phil did you ever get this resolved? My CarPlay worked fine for over a year and only recently it started disconnecting almost every minute.
Unbelievably mine still is not fixed. 9 months of no wireless CarPlay now. The dealer says they’ll fix it, but when they go to talk to technical, I don’t hear from them again.

Jan 12, 2023
No joy so far. I tried a full factory reset but that didn't solve anything. The dealer has had it once to confirm the fault (which they accept), but have asked for it back for an extended period of time to look at it in more detail. They said they hadn't come across the issue before which didn't fill me with much confidence but let's wait and see - they are having it around the 20th.

I have narrowed the issue as being down to the wifi.

My basic understanding is that Android Auto, and I believe Apple Carplay, need both bluetooth and wifi connection to work. The bluetooth works fine - I can connect for calls and music etc.

But the built in WiFi doesn't work. I paid £10 for a month of data on the E-SIM built into the car, but no matter what device I tried to use to connect to the WiFi hotspot (iPad, iPhone, Android tablet, Android phone), nothing would connect. I get a "Saved / IP configuration failure" message on my phone but no idea how to resolve that!

So I am pretty confident the issue is with the hotspot

Aug 8, 2021
No.. although my dealer spoke to Cupra who have finally decided to replace a module…. The part is specific (coded) to my car apparently and therefore will take a while to arrive at the dealers.

Aug 8, 2021
That sounds promising though that changing a module might be a fix - let us know how you get on!
Just chased the dealer up as the module was supposed to be in within 10 days. It’s now over 4 weeks so I thought I would follow up.. in typical Seat/Cupra style I’ve been told the control module is on back order and there is absolutely no indication as to when it may come in. My lease is another 14 months… who knows if it will arrive in that time?! I won’t be sorry to see this car go. It looks fab but it’s got too many faults and niggles and Cupra are awful to deal with. If it ever does get fixed I’ll let you know.

Jan 12, 2023
A successful update on this and I will say a huge thank you to Oxford SEAT / Cupra (although it did take them 3 weeks to resolve).

The headline summary is that the Wireless Android Auto stopped working in my car. I tried factory resets, checking for software updates etc but couldn't get it working. I also couldn't get the WiFi hotspot working so we narrowed it down to being an issue with the cars WiFi.

Cupra Oxford confirmed the issue and I understand they spent a lot of time with Cupra technical department but ended up replacing some sort of control module that includes the hardware for the WiFi. Luckily they had the part in stock so once they had decided to replace the part it only took a couple of days to get it sorted.

I now have my Wireless Android Auto working perfectly and just keeping fingers crossed this is a permanent fix.

Jan 12, 2023
For those that have a problem - I would try and see if you can connect to the cars hotspot. When that doesn't work, it gives you the ability to say to Cupra that the issue is clearly with the WiFi and hopefully they can replace the same part

Apr 17, 2022
For Apple CarPlay specifically. i had a similar disconnecting/reconnecting issue after the 1896 update. which after almost 3 weeks automatically was resolved when the iPhone got updated. its related to the iPhone - MIB communication.

the issue was resolved when i updated to iOS 16.2. if yours is on an older version try to update to the latest version. if we confirm this i can make sure to open a ticket somewhere to Apple so we make sure it doesn't happen again with new updates

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.