CAT D repaired Leon

daflyingfinn

Apr 15, 2005
london
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SEAT-LEON-20V...633932890QQcategoryZ18270QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Right folks, I am very interested in this car which has been involved in a accident (recorded CAT D), its been repaired and has a new MOT, there was no damage to to chassis, just rear door and panel.

I spoke to the seller and he says ther's no service history but he does have contact number for the dealer where its been serviced before. I'll be ringing them today to see if i can get a bit more info on this car.

So if you were buying this sort of car what else would you look out for? would a CAT D car affect your insurance premium?

any help really appreciated guys

aphix

Sep 5, 2005
Camberley, Surrey
Normally cat D registered cars have been registered with HPI as a total loss, normally where the car has sustained minor damage, but the cost to repair the vehicle using OE parts and body shop is more than the value of the car.

If your seriously interested, and win the auction, get a full RAC inspection for peace of mind and HPI check it online, check panel gaps, colour matches on panels by moving round the car in strong sunlight, gradually move further away from the car when your looking.

Check for overspray under wheel arches etc.

Also check the book value for the car before you make a decision, if its a big saving and the car looks sound then it shouold be fine. But bear in mind it could be trickier to sell.

Looks nice though, wheels look smart as well. Little dubious that it doesnt have a full serivce history though.

Rob

EddyH

Aug 9, 2002
Pontefract
Visit site
It will probably have full service history but the insurance company will have requested all the paper work but then not put it in the car when it was auctioned. If seat do as VW and have all service history on the computer system then you just need to pay a small charge for a duplicate service history.

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
I'd stay away mate - but it's your choice

You don't know what underlying problems there are - MOT's mean jack $hit & can easily be forged/bought

If you are serious about this, get an AA inspection before you bid !!

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
There is no reason to just stay away, it may well be a very good car. I would want a full run down of what damage is sustained, what was replaced, by who and when. When looking at it, just be super thorough. For example, if it was a heavy corner impact and chassis damage was a possiblity (although you say here it wasn't chassis damage), have a look at tyres to see if they are wearing evenly. Look carefully at panel gaps and shut lines all over the car, to make sure they are even. As aphix says, look for paint match - but finding evidence of painting is not suprising as you know it has been.

The fact is you have a car to look at which you know had damage, but has been repaired. I wonder how many people have bought cars that were put straight after a smash without ever reaching the register?

Long term it will knock its re-sale value, but a decreasing amount each year. If you a re planning on keeping the car, and you save some good money, don't worry about it. At a certain point people start buying on condition rather than just paperwork. Good luck, and if you are in any doubt, walk away because there will always be another one. (I have dealt with write off's once or twice before!)

huddo

old enough to know better
May 31, 2004
Norfolk
When did cupra R's start production ? cause that cars got R alloys on it has'nt it ??
Some companies wont insure Cat D's so ask first.

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
huddo said:
Some companies wont insure Cat D's so ask first.

I've never had any problems whatsoever. But they certainly won't pay out top money in the event of a total loss claim.

daflyingfinn

Apr 15, 2005
london
Thanks a lot guys for your advice,

I called the dealer where it was last serviced and 30k mile service was done in october 2005 and at the mo it has 32k miles on it so that seems genuine.

Its just that I am in London and the seller is located in Middleborough which makes hard for me to see the car before purchase, perhaps AA or RAC can do that for me.

He is asking for £6k, good value you reckon?

oi_nutter2000

New interior's in woohoo!
Feb 20, 2005
Ipswich
With "light panel damage" a car worth over 8 grand wouldn't be written off

sounds like this guy is economical with the truth to say the least. I'd avoid it like the plague. I recently wrapped my car around a tree (my car is of similar value) at about 60mph and completely screwed one side of it .... and it wasn't written off - it was repaired.

see this thread http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=82609

That involved a new body shell and a list of mechanical parts as long as spaniels list of mods.......

I wouldn't touch it - if the guy was being honest it would be different. And there's no reason in this day and age to not have a service history.....

Just my opinion

Last edited:

aphix

Sep 5, 2005
Camberley, Surrey
i personally wouldnt comit to purchase, let alone part with any money(even a deposit) before seeing the car.. especially it being of slightly dubious history.. if you have to, get the RAC and/or AA to take a look.

You really need to drive it yourself.. you could be sat there in 2 months time.. thinking.. why did i buy this.. and not being able to sell it.

As i and several others mentioned. The insurance company has written the car off becuase the cost to put it right is in excess of its value... so youve got to picture in your mind what 5-6ks worth of damage looks like. Thats alot to me.

If its been hit on one of the corners, with 6ks worth of damage its likley the chassis required straigtening.

I would personally let it go, but.. then again, it might well turn out to be the bargain of the centuary and you could have yourself a cracking car for 6k.

Also... ask yourself.. why has it got Cupra R wheels on there... my friend is in the motor trade.. he had a MINI which he couldnt sell.. so he changhed the wheels on it to the ones of fthe Cooper S, he sold it fairly quickly after that. It might well be hes tried selling it privatly, people have seen it havent been interested.. so hes put Cupra R wheels on, to make it differnt, to make it stand out hoping that it will be enough to distract from the bigger picture.

Rob

Last edited:

Triple D

oi_nutter2000 said:
With "light panel damage" a car worth over 8 grand wouldn't be written off

sounds like this guy is economical with the truth to say the least. I'd avoid it like the plague. I recently wrapped my car around a tree (my car is of similar value) at about 60mph and completely screwed one side of it .... and it wasn't written off - it was repaired.

see this thread http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=82609

That involved a new body shell and a list of mechanical parts as long as spaniels list of mods.......

I wouldn't touch it - if the guy was being honest it would be different. And there's no reason in this day and age to not have a service history.....

Just my opinion
That must be pretty short then, check my sigi ;)

daflyingfinn

Apr 15, 2005
london
Ok peeps, I've made my mind up, I have decided to ditch it.

As said above "LIGHT" panel damage and CAT D don't match up really do they? and considering "oi_nutter's" car wasn't even recorded CAT D with that sort of damage then imagine how much damage this car might have had!!

I am now considering getting the old model leon cupra and getting facelift bumpers, sideskirts on it.

thanks for your advice again btw guys!

Last edited:

oi_nutter2000

New interior's in woohoo!
Feb 20, 2005
Ipswich
It might well be well repaired. If my smash has taught me anything it's that repairers really can do an amazing job. my car feels better now than when it came out of the showroom. But i think you're right - my instincts tell me that 6k is a lot of money to spend on a car that, for all we know, could be a cut and shut. If it was uneconmical to repair the repair cost must have been approaching 6k, so why would this fellow repair it at that cost and then sell it for potentially less? is a shame tho because it could have been quite a bargain

CupraUK

Pushing on
Aug 15, 2005
Bedfordshire
I think you made the right choice, I had a 7k car (not my Leon) and tore the side completely off and they did not write it off, you can buy a hell of a lot of repair for 7-8k. Definately think they've been "economical" about light damage.

Georgie

WADDA YA WANT.. EH?!
Nov 27, 2005
FLEET
you all saw the pics of my car and to look at from a distance looks nothing... but hiding under it was 7K+s worth of dammage..

i was happier that they declared it a loss rather than repaired it due to the fact that when it would come to sell it i would get jack as the accident would show up and people are always warey.

and on the + side.. i now get a nicer one. damn shame tho.. as no one is selling black ones. and that makes me sad on the inside.. as i do like black!

RedR

Feb 15, 2003
GLOS
Visit site
hi ya im glad you decided not to buy. we bought a 02 plate passat from a dealer went to sell it on and it was a cat b write off. it doesn't matter if its got a mot my car had a mot and was a cat b. a cat b write off should be scrapped by the way and never returned on the road.

its alot more hassle than its worth. took us 2 weeks to get money back from dealer.

anyway all ended well because yesterday we pick up a leon cupra :D

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
Good for you mate. I always think its a shame people just dismiss cars that have been on the register (unless they are Cat A or B as you say), but in this case I think you have done the write thing, simply because you can't look at it. I would never touch a car I couldn't personally inspect with a fine tooth comb, under any circumstances.

And to pick up a point oi_nutter made, repaired cars if done properly, are usually a better car than a show room example. This is simply because 100% attention is put into making sure the car is straight and true, geometery should be totally accurate - not within the dealers favourite 'tolerance'. But there are so many rogue traders and dog cars out there, it can be a minefield.

Hope you enjoy your new Leon when you pick it up.

RedR

Feb 15, 2003
GLOS
Visit site
we picked it up yesterday :D and im loving it its brilliant fun :D

well we had our car for a year before we knew about it. the sad thing is i bought the car for my girlfriend because she was pregnant and driving round in a puma thought it would be safer what a joke that was [:@]

i would urge anyone who is buying a car to check the hpi report and if possible speak to the hpi people who might tell you what damage has been done, in our case they did.

bigjode

Feb 25, 2006
Well I have happy ending CAT D story to add to all of your sad ones :D

I saw a 51 my03 kitted cupra on ebay a few months ago and it was local so I went and had a look. It was advertised as CAT D.

The guy told me what had happened - side damge - both doors and sills needed replacing so insurance writ it off, not sure what other damage there was. Anyway, he bought it and repaired it but addedd my03 bumpers, skirts and wheels. He also chased up FSSH from Seat in Camberley! It was imp. blue too so i knew there wouldn't be any others like it.

I bought it for £4850 on the spot after hpi confirmed it was CAT D and i'm very happy :)

I can honestly say it was a risk on my part, but it's paid off, I've checked the car top to bottom and its 100% straight. Only issue is some iffy paintwork but its never been noticed by anyone other than me.

I know when I sell it it'll be worth less but so what, I paid less for it - i'm not expecting to make a profit. The Book price is £6000 for the car with the mileage it had, but add a full my03 bodykit to that (becasue I certainly would have!) and the wheels and i'm a very happy bunny. The kit will also add to the reasle value.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members