Central locking problem

Jan 19, 2019
Hi, I found this site while trying to find help for a problem I'm having with my trusty Cupra.

For the past few months I've been having an intermittent issue with the central locking. I've been trying to lock or unlock the car using the keyfob (the only physical key lock I have on mine is the boot lock, none on any of the doors) but it hasn't been working. No sound as if the locks are trying to lock/unlock or anything. What I normally have to do then is unlock the boot, climb in and lock/unlock using the button on the driver door.controls. This has worked up until now. The keyfob usually starts working again shortly after.

I went out to my car yesterday, tried to unlock it and got nothing, so I went and unlocked the boot with key. This is where the problem gets annoying. As soon as I opened the boot, the alarm started going off. I climbed in, tried to unlock the doors using the button but nothing. Now I can't unlock the car at all apart from the boot, and as soon as I open it, the alarm goes off every time.

Can anyone help me? The local garages won't touch it, they say take it to the seat dealer, but the dealer is saying it wants a fortune just to look at it (I hate to imagine how much they will charge to actually fix it, probably more than the car is worth).

Please help :(

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Sounds like a drivers locking module is mullered. Common problem.
Here’s a link on its removal.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3” Sustem, FMIC, Bosh 550’s,
BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
This is assuming he can open his doors, which by reading that he’s climbing in thru the boot I doubt it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 19, 2019
This is assuming he can open his doors, which by reading that he’s climbing in thru the boot I doubt it

That's right. I am unable to open or unlock any doors apart from the boot.

I've noticed alot of people saying about that driver lock problem. Would that being knackered stop all the other doors from unlocking?

Thanks for the quick replies

Jan 19, 2019
Could be yes as the driver door seems to be the main controller but not always

Right, thank you very much. Gonna remove the door card tomorrow when I ain't at work and see what we can do.

I've seen that it's a right git to remove while the door is still shut. Luckily there's some for sale on eBay if we royally knacker the door card.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Can’t get in. That’s a complete bitch.
Once in can you open the doors?
If not I wouldn’t drive it till you fix it.
So here’s another vid. It shows how to open VW doors that won’t open from in or out. Where cable may have snapped or become wrong length. Etc.
Worth 2 mins as there are couple of good tips for opening.

Jan 19, 2019
Can’t get in. That’s a complete bitch.
Once in can you open the doors?
If not I wouldn’t drive it till you fix it.
So here’s another vid. It shows how to open VW doors that won’t open from in or out. Where cable may have snapped or become wrong length. Etc.
Worth 2 mins as there are couple of good tips for opening.

Thanks the video. I'm at work atm so I'll give it a look when I get home.

I can't open any of the doors apart from the boot, which sets the alarm off as soon as I open it (which it never done before this happened). I can't open them even when I get inside. They just won't unlock at all. I can start the car no problem, the alarm keeps going off and doesn't stop but I'm guessing that's because the car is registering as still being locked. It's a proper pain in the arse.

Weirdly, if I disconnect the battery, unlock the boot and open it, then connect the battery back up, the alarm doesn't go off, even if I get into the car. It only goes off again when I turn the ignition on.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.