Changed Gear Stick & Gator

Maleko

So I deceided to change my standard gear knob and gator, dirt cheap off ebay but what a pain in the arse to do the gator...

oldgear.jpg

newgear.jpg

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
yer, any thicker leather gaitor will make it all the more difficult...had the same problem trying to get the clip to secure the mk1 Leon gaitor to a facelift Ibiza FR gear knob, but well worth all the sweat and effort :thumbup:

you can check out the Leon by searching for VAZY who has matching facelift FR steering wheel

P.S. isn't the gear knob the wrong way round, Maleko? :confused:

Maleko

That looks sick. Any tips for when I get to doing the same next week?

Just be patient :p Took a while to get it to fit right, as NickyJam said, leather is a tighter fit etc. Also, if your changing the gator get some decent glue, i used a hot glue gun, as i didnt wanna staple it back on like the stock one was.

P.S. isn't the gear knob the wrong way round, Maleko? :confused:

Erm, I couldn't tell you tbh :p I assumed it went this way due to the shape...but heck, I could be wrong :confused:

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
Straight up prefer the original.
Looks like a dino riders raped your gearknob.
Sorry dude, Changed mine before I can agree with the level of annoyance it causes just trying to swap it out.

hypopsycho

D'ya wanna go faster?
Jan 12, 2010
York
just got the same gear knob off E-Bay, and to back the fella up, the image shows it the wrong way round on the box....genious these L/H drivers!

Well, gonna attempt to fit it today, off to get a jubilee clip first though....just in case!lol

lankman

Jan 15, 2010
I have just made a custom gearknob and mounted it in the standard gaitor (pictures coming but still a newbie).
The amount of time i spent making it and then having to mount it to the standard gaitor annoyed me as i wanted a similar gaitor to the one you have, but dont want to destroy my old one to use the surround, as if i come to sell the car, i would like to revert it to the way it rolled out of the factory.
any tips on getting a similar one with a surround but no gearknob? and if so, any idea on prices? (already asked dave @ sere but he said the gaitors come with gearknobs, and the FR one is 35 quid, and comes with a gearknob i dont want or need)

hypopsycho

D'ya wanna go faster?
Jan 12, 2010
York
Got the knob on (pun intended), after a bit of swearing and stabbing of fingers, looks great though. One job down, many to go, I really should get around to fitting my induction kit..... then there is the matter of a back box, which reminds me, anyone done that to a 1.4 Sport? I have a mechanic mate, but he can't do welding, so need a bit more info on that one.:think:

Barney3000

Yabba Dabba Doo
Jan 3, 2010
Peterborough
I just brought myself a new FR Gear knob and Gaiter from Seat. Set me back £40. But it looks the business. I have a gaiter with red stitching if anyone is interested? Not looking for any money. I brought it off eBay but decided to just use the one it come with.

Barney3000

Yabba Dabba Doo
Jan 3, 2010
Peterborough
haha!!! Where abouts you live? I only brought it the other day. You can check my eBay for proof if you need. I cant imagine it will cost me much to post. Will try to do it from work then its free.
PM me your address if you want?