Changed intercooler - problems

pikzibner

Hello. I have TDI PD 130 from Fabia RS in Golf MK2. Ia had original intercooler from Fabia, but it was behind front light and had no cooling at all.

With that intercooler car pulled from 2200 rpm to 4200 rpm. I was on the dyno and it measured 118 HP on the wheels at 3000 rpm.

So I decidet to instal new IC. I bought IC from VW T5

We used INOX pipes outside diameter 52mm and the length of pipes is 1m longer than original pipes.

But the old IC is almost 3 times smaller. New IC longer and thicker.

We also installed the sensor from IC

Now without re-map car goes weaker. It start to pull from 3500rpm and goes to 4500 rpm.

What is the problem, and will the re-map solve this problem. Please help.

Thanks

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
Cool car. I can't think why power would drop so much low down? Is it like turbo lag? Maybe the stock turbo is struggling to push enough air through the now much larger turbo pipework system? Only way around it I guess is to go for that remap, or get a bigger turbo to push more pressure.

Good project though - where can I find out more about how you got the vRS engine into the Golf? How is the engine management done? Are you using all the wiring looms from the vRS as well? instruments, etc?

pikzibner

devonutopia said:
Cool car. I can't think why power would drop so much low down? Is it like turbo lag? Maybe the stock turbo is struggling to push enough air through the now much larger turbo pipework system? Only way around it I guess is to go for that remap, or get a bigger turbo to push more pressure.

Good project though - where can I find out more about how you got the vRS engine into the Golf? How is the engine management done? Are you using all the wiring looms from the vRS as well? instruments, etc?

Yes i think it's a turbo LAG. At monday I'm going for custom remap. But I'm in doubt. Would the results be better with fabia intercooler than with new one after remap???

The project page

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=124004

Diablo559

Diablo
Mar 1, 2005
N.Ireland
might be pessure drop due to longer pipes and so on .more lag due to the turbo havin to fill a bigger intercooler mite be ok once remapped due to increase in boost pressure . hope someone else helps you out dont know if am explaining myself to well. nice car by the way

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
Very nice car, just took a quick look at the project page,,,

first of all, did you have a scan for any fault in the ecu memory???

if everything is ok, then to me the problem is that the intercooler is VERY big so it introduced massive lag,,, remapping won't solve much since you can add fuel down low to make the turbo spool up earlier,,, but nothing to take it from 3500 to 2200,,,

I'd stick with an intercooler half the size of that and the tubing lenght reduced to the max,,,

pikzibner

Problem partially solved? I was yesterday on llittle re-map. Now the turbo does 1.55 bar and car goes a lot better. Lag is smaller and car pulles from 2500 rpm. I'm so happy. At thursday it's going to be re-mapped on dyno.

What do you think how much can KKK VNT-17 push at maximum??

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
The two remaps I've had on a 130 both seem to hold around 1.55 bar.
Not sure how much higher you can go ?

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
2500 is kind of high rev for a vnt17 to spool up,,, not guys??

I'd put a smaller intercooler there,,, one slightly bigger than the stock one should do the job and give you a faster spool up,,, absolute hp is one thing, driveability is another,,, just my 2p

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
basstard said:
yeah, ragged from cold and no oil services,,, :p

Never. I'm actually very sadly obsessed with warming the engine up before caning it - sod the people behind me wanting to go faster uphill than me. :lol: Oh, and I change my oil more regularly than dealer service schedule too, due a change on Saturday - Every 7,000 miles for me now, not 10k. ;)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members