changing a clutch

Ieuan-J

Jan 8, 2010
South Wales
How difficult is it to change a clutch?
Mine has gone and wanted to know what is involved in doing it?
What do i need to remove to get to it and is investing in a haynes manual worth a go?

Im not a proffesional or anything and im quite mechanically minded, and i do potter about with my car and really cant be doing with forking out for labour on changing the clutch because of what ive spent on getting the head sorted [:@]

Cheers, Ieuan :)

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Piece of piss to change the clutch on the 1.4

It was the first 'big' job I'd done, and only required a comprehensive, but basic toolset.

Haynes manual was surprisingly accurate with the only tools I needed to buy was the 17mm hex for the gearbox drain & the clutch alignment tool... maybe the spline drive for your driveshaft bolts too.

Basically you get the car as high as you can on axle stands & follow the instructions.

I think I bought a Unipart clutch on ebay for about £30, spent about the same on new tools & probably £20 on new gearbox fluid.

While I was there I cleaned up the clutch mechanism inside the bellhousing & it made the clutch much lighter.

Probably about six hours 'work' for a first timer - but massively satisfying.

Reactions: Madda

HoopDub

Aug 17, 2009
what was wrong with your head? what engine do you have? it is real easy, much easier on a ramp though and if you have access to air tools

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
OP = original poster

you have an AEX because you listed your car as a 1.4, and it has facelift bumpers (so is a 97-00 model)

Ieuan-J

Jan 8, 2010
South Wales
Aaaah :) my car is a 97 (P)

thats good to know now... i didnt know what the facelift ment but now i do... ive been wondering why every other mk2 i see isnt as nice as mine... :D

Finan

i went jap.. :O
Jan 18, 2009
Eíre
bebo.com
my car sounds like an automatic right now, ive been told its the clutch slipping.
guess i'll be doing this soon enough.

Ieuan-J

Jan 8, 2010
South Wales
my clutch didnt slip or anything... i knew it was on its way out because you could hear the bearing had come out or sumat because the clutch was rubbing... any way... was going along up a slite slope droped down to 4th and then clunk.. lots of grinding noise and really rough gear changes... :(

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
big deal

Clutch & process to change it is still the same with the 085 gearbox.

I think (and do check this) that the clutch you want is 200mm vs 190mm on the earlier ABD 1.4

HoopDub

Aug 17, 2009
aex and apq are the same anyway, appart from loom changes :D my ibiz did have an apq, now has an aex due to ring issues haha.

clutch is simple, jack it up, axle stands. wheels off (makes it easier on jacks) buzz the shafts off. remove clutch cable, reverse light connection. jack under box to hold in place, remove gear linkage, remove gearbox mount. remove top bell housing bolts. lower jack, remove bottom bell housing bolts. pull off gearbox = win :D

Reactions: Madda

Ieuan-J

Jan 8, 2010
South Wales
aex and apq are the same anyway, appart from loom changes :D my ibiz did have an apq, now has an aex due to ring issues haha.

clutch is simple, jack it up, axle stands. wheels off (makes it easier on jacks) buzz the shafts off. remove clutch cable, reverse light connection. jack under box to hold in place, remove gear linkage, remove gearbox mount. remove top bell housing bolts. lower jack, remove bottom bell housing bolts. pull off gearbox = win :D

that sounds like a lot for someone with basic knowledge... :blink:

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland

Loom changes?? whats the difference between the 2 looms?

Ieuan-J

Jan 8, 2010
South Wales
ive been reading about gearbox's and come to think of it mine whines... but i thought that was just my clutch because the thrust bearing had gone in it, if im driving it sound like something is rubbing but i put my clutch down and it stops... and also since my clutch went theres no drive in 4th, it goes in but accelerate and all it does is rev... and also since my clutch has gone theres alot of rattleing and grinding... does this meen my gearbox is also dead...? i went under my car earlier and had a good clean up under there and found my gear box is a genuine part because of the vw/seat/audi stamps and the part number, ive read that 085 boxes die around 50-70k miles and mine is on 111k.... :/

any enlightenment would be great :)

Cheers, Ieuan

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
My 085 box is still the one that was on the car when it left the factory and it has done 121K miles and is still going strong. No whining or anything.

The grinding/rubbing that disappears when you put the clutch in could well be the thrust bearing. Im not any expert on clutches/gearboxes though.

Ieuan-J

Jan 8, 2010
South Wales
My 085 box is still the one that was on the car when it left the factory and it has done 121K miles and is still going strong. No whining or anything.

The grinding/rubbing that disappears when you put the clutch in could well be the thrust bearing. Im not any expert on clutches/gearboxes though.

it is the thrust bearing, my mechanic told me when i got my head gasket done... im just worried in having to spend on a new gearbox as i know how sh** they are... :(