Changing front USB from standard to USB C ports, possible?

hamst

Jun 5, 2020
Hi,

Is it possible to replace the front USB ports module with the new USB C one?

Will it have any positive effect on Android Auto/charging capabilities?

Thanks

Tell

Staff member
I would not have thought it would have any effect on Android Auto. The original Ateca had 1amp charging (pre facrlift), 2 amp became popular and you really need that for Smartphones, 1amp was the old pre Smartphone level. Running a Smartphone on that with the screen live means it gradually discharges or is likely too. I had a misbuild on mine so it was built without wireless charging, definitely 1amp. I know newer Arona's have 2amp still USB A on a 2019.

I can't say I have eyeballed the 2020- Facelifted ones to see whether they have a USB C in them. A look at the Seat site does say USB C. They are connected to the new infotainment system. You would have to examine the Seat parts catalogue also if they do have USB C these days. The USB goes into box configurations around whether it has wireless charging or not.

You probably need to do quite a bit of research unless someone has done it. You might find someone has done it either on an Ateca or a VAG car. Probably need to work backwards from your part number and hope to stumble on something.

Footnote. There are adaptor studs that convert one to the other if it's just the connection you are after.

Last edited:
Reactions: hamst

hamst

Jun 5, 2020
Hi Tell,

Mine is model 2019 and has wireless charging. USB C in general are 3 amp and have much faster data transfer rate. If it was a sort of plug and play thing I'd do it, if its much more complicated then I'll probably live with what I have. Hopefully someone here thought about it and could give me an answer

Reactions: Tell

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
Hi Tell,

Mine is model 2019 and has wireless charging. USB C in general are 3 amp and have much faster data transfer rate. If it was a sort of plug and play thing I'd do it, if its much more complicated then I'll probably live with what I have. Hopefully someone here thought about it and could give me an answer
The data transfer rate may be much faster - but do you actually need it to be? As for charging, I've a dual USB-C outlet plugged into the cigarette lighter socket.

hamst

Jun 5, 2020
The data transfer rate may be much faster - but do you actually need it to be? As for charging, I've a dual USB-C outlet plugged into the cigarette lighter socket.
Well that's my point, I use Android Auto all the time, so my question is would it be better for AA?

Tell

Staff member
I get my 2 amp from a similar arrangement. That was the problem with the original Ateca that it was only a 1amp charger so heavy Smartphone use drops the charge.

Obviously more tidy if you changed your connections but I can personally live without. Have a power extension lead to the rear footwell for the chiller bag for trips with the 2amp charger plugged in as well. Don't use AA.

As far as the pre facelifted Ateca's the control units etc are shown on the right in the Ateca SSP 163. They are common parts across VAG so if someone has cracked it you will be able to implement their solution. R215 is the USB module in the pre facelifted models. You could try hitting Google with that code and upgrading etc.

Screenshot_20211101-131129.png

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
Well that's my point, I use Android Auto all the time, so my question is would it be better for AA?
I don't believe you'd see a diference - I use CarPlay, and can happily stream Spotify and navigate with Google Maps/Waze at the same time.

Tell

Staff member
Or put another way does AA go wrong or the phone slowly discharge with AA use?.

Going wrong will be your firmware fix that people do if it's a standard unit which I think Hamst is on, Rafletcher is on the mib high which is more reliable. Firmware updating doesnt always fix it depends what you are coming off. 515 of the 5xx series is well regarded, 516 is said to have issues. Firmware updates are a bit more ruthless if they go wrong during the process. You don't jump trains e.g. 4xx to 5xx without issue unless very skilled at programming.

Probably a good idea if on a standard unit and on the 5xx series to go to 515 if committed to AA and you have issues.... that's what people say on the software thread.

hamst

Jun 5, 2020
Or put another way does AA go wrong or the phone slowly discharge with AA use?.

Going wrong will be your firmware fix that people do if it's a standard unit which I think Hamst is on, Rafletcher is on the mib high which is more reliable. Firmware updating doesnt always fix it depends what you are coming off. 515 of the 5xx series is well regarded, 516 is said to have issues. Firmware updates are a bit more ruthless if they go wrong during the process. You don't jump trains e.g. 4xx to 5xx without issue unless very skilled at programming.

Probably a good idea if on a standard unit and on the 5xx series to go to 515 if committed to AA and you have issues.... that's what people say on the software thread.

I upgraded to the 515 a while ago, but still facing casual AA disconnection. That's why i thought maybe a direct USB-C might be better solution. Just wondering 🤔.