MIB2 Full Link - Is it worth it for me?

thespicemustflow

Feb 24, 2024
Hi folks, long time lurker, first time poster.

I've recently got myself a 2016 Leon FR with a MIB2 with Navi. I'm planning on following the excellent resources here to upgrade the firmware and maps, but, I'm conflicted about unlocking Full Link, and how its done.

Basically, I have an iPhone. So I'd be using CarPlay, which whilst is far, far more useful than any of the OEM built in stuff, of any car manufacturer ever, is still a bit crap. Android Auto is absolutely superior in this regard in its functionality, but I ain't an Android user so that's out the window (although I do have an Android work phone I could use...)

From what I'm reading here, unlocking Full Link on my MIB2 from 2016 with a single USB, will work fine with Android but would require coding and replacement USB ports for CarPlay (Thanks Apple for your nonsense certification/licensing requirements) and the price adds up quick, all for a feature I don't really find that brilliant.

I also am slightly confused about HOW Full Link is unlocked from anyone other than SEAT at £200+. There's a mixture of people saying its a code, its a firmware update on SD card, its this, its that... anyone got a clear plain english explanation on how Full Link is unlocked? (If it's software based via SD card, why can't people just do it themselves? Or is this some sort of firmware soft mod?)

Is it worth spending the time and money to unlock Full Link and replace a USB port and have the car coded? If I can do it for 'free' I'd just use my Android work phone in the car for things such as Waze, Maps etc.

Thanks!

thespicemustflow

Feb 24, 2024
I did look into East Yorkshire Retrofits enablement, but again, its £100 to enable it, plus £50 for a USB port, plus I need to get a hold of VCDS/OBDeleven.... (I have Delphi CARS which I use and does 99% of what these two do bar the coding so I don't feel I need either), or drive to Yorkshire and have them do it in person.... again it's a lot of money for a feature that, for my specific use case with an iPhone, I don't think is really worth £200+.

If I could enable it myself without too much faff, I'd just use an Android in the car.

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
I’d just get a phone mount to be honest. That’s what I do. 9 times outs 10, I just use the satnav. Yeah it’s a little dated, but it gets me to where I need to be.

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021
I did look into East Yorkshire Retrofits enablement, but again, its £100 to enable it, plus £50 for a USB port, plus I need to get a hold of VCDS/OBDeleven.... (I have Delphi CARS which I use and does 99% of what these two do bar the coding so I don't feel I need either), or drive to Yorkshire and have them do it in person.... again it's a lot of money for a feature that, for my specific use case with an iPhone, I don't think is really worth £200+.

If I could enable it myself without too much faff, I'd just use an Android in the car.

Let me try to provide some explanation on the subject here, you may already know some of these.

Full Link and some other features only work with original licenses from VAG.
There are FECs (feature enablement codes) for each protected feature.
Then there are SWAP codes which are created using your vehicle's VIN, related hardware's VCRN code and the related FEC.

Entering the SWAP code into the hardware (infotainment unit, radar etc.) would enable the feature.
This is supposed to be done by the factory or the authorized dealer only, using their official diagnostics software.
But as with most of the protected software, some people found ways to hack it.

There is a tool for creating self-generated SWAP codes.
It is publicly available from a lot of sources, a popular one is the mibsolution website at this link : https://mibsolution.one/
All the required firmware files are also available there.

Before the SWAP code can be entered, the hardware should be patched with modified firmware.
Only then it would accept the self-generated SWAP code and related feature would be enabled.

Though I can't give you step by step instructions to do it, I know it's possible for anyone to do it by themselves.
You need to do further research on how to patch your infotainment unit.

There are lots of different lines of these units, like MIB2Std ones without nav or with nav, MIB2High ones etc.
Obviously you need to be following proper procedure for the one you have.
Of course one should be warned against the risk of "bricking" the hardware (i.e. rendering it inoperative)
but I believe there are cases where recovery from bricked state is possible.

I don't know anything about the CARS (software/device?) by Delphi so I'm not sure if it can be used to "transfer & release" the SWAP codes you'll be creating into the unit. I know that OBDEleven has this feature, I'm using one to test some SWAP codes on radar control unit.

Good luck & cheers.

Last edited:

redone

Nov 28, 2023
As above Is good (y) Also there is mib2 toolkit on github. If you prefer android auto then just roll with existing usb. Plug and play cable can be got from aliexpress If you want. IIRC there is also a thread detailing pin swaps for the existing usb port connection. There is a a lot of information to absorb if you want to fiddle around.

Reactions: SuperV8

ray

Jan 7, 2016
I only have a MIB1 unit so not in the same boat but don’t you just need OBDeleven to enable full link? I’m sure there’s an option on mine for it (even though like I say it’s not useful for my unit).

I think a replacement usb is pretty simple and cheap too, or (the reason I’m here) is to install a third party piece of kit that alloys you to retro add apple play which functions with your original head unit. Cost £160 all in and about half an hour of time. Plug and play into the back of your original head unit.

MartinThorn

Feb 28, 2024
(If it's software based via SD card, why can't people just do it themselves? Or is this some sort of firmware soft mod?)

I'm about to upgrade mine from MIB1 to MIB2 - it seems that there are indeed quite straightforward 'use at own risk of bricking' SD Card patches out there for some MIB2 Leon hardware that will enable/activate everything. BUT you have to either generate the SD Card data following some slightly technical instructions or even use some pre-existing patches already created for some common firmware/hardware versions.

thespicemustflow

Feb 24, 2024
Change of tactic. Got an OBDeleven from a friend and as it turns out, my USB port (admittedly not used) is broken it seems. Think I'm just gonna do it and activate it instead.

Reactions: Chillout

thespicemustflow

Feb 24, 2024
Sorted!

USB port was broken anyway, so after half an hour and £20 later (bought a used port from a breakers!), we're back in the future.

Thanks to everyone for their help and insights!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-03-22 at 18.05.06.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-03-22 at 18.05.06.jpeg
    407.3 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: RWP