Changing rear discs on Leon Fr 2017

Zboro

Oct 24, 2020
Hi all.
I managed to change the rear brake pads on my Leon yesterday. Quite easy if you have the right tools. Unfortunately, I'll need to change the discs too.
I know that some of you have done it and may be able to share some tips on how to do this job efficiently.

What is the best way/tools to remove the rear caliper carrier?

I know from reading the forum that the 2 bolts are a nightmare to remove due to them being very tight and not having much room.
I know I'll need a M14 spline socket, and I have it. I'm planning to buy a breaker bar but not sure what length would be the best for the job, so it fits inside the wheel arch,
Mind I'll be doing it off the floor.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Happy New Year, wishing you all the best.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
If you get no more replies on this, remember that as you will be taking the pads of the car one side/wheel/calliper at a time, you will find out which of these "piston side" pads matches what you are removing.

Zboro

Oct 24, 2020
The top 2 go on the piston side.

Im not sure which is which however but thats half the question answered

Bottom ones are the same so not important
Thanks, that's what I was thinking. Found some old thread on this forum. So, I understand when installed on the inside, the cut-out should be at the top.

SuperV8 reply ...

Jay280 said:
Yes had the cut outs for the pistons just like the original pads I removed and the brembo's. Also the ware sensor was the same as in the original pads.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Whenever a brake pad has a crescent shaped cutout on it's anti-noise shim this is called a piston cutout, and its there to reduce the pressure on the pads leading edge to help reduce the chances of brake noise.
VAG in their wisdom changed the wear indicator sides from the LH side on the older Volkswagen Group A6 (PQ46) (Sharan) platform to the RH side on our newer MQB platform cars (Leon 5F) This means the pads are not interchangeable between the two (even though the back plates are dimensionally the same).

Breck have 2x 'similar' part numbers,
24738 00 551 00 = Sharan/Alhambra
24738 00 551 10 = Leon Cupra/GTI

Afraid you were given the wrong 24738 00 551 00 part number for your car.
If the brakes are quiet then don't worry about it - but if you get brake noise this would be my first port of call.

1655107245176.png

From Breck's own catalogue:

Download catalogue – Breck – klocki hamulcowe do samochodów osobowych. Producent hamulców

breck.pl
1655107067474.png

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Thanks, that's what I was thinking. Found some old thread on this forum. So, I understand when installed on the inside, the cut-out should be at the top.

SuperV8 reply ...

Whenever a brake pad has a crescent shaped cutout on it's anti-noise shim this is called a piston cutout, and its there to reduce the pressure on the pads leading edge to help reduce the chances of brake noise.
VAG in their wisdom changed the wear indicator sides from the LH side on the older Volkswagen Group A6 (PQ46) (Sharan) platform to the RH side on our newer MQB platform cars (Leon 5F) This means the pads are not interchangeable between the two (even though the back plates are dimensionally the same).

Breck have 2x 'similar' part numbers,
24738 00 551 00 = Sharan/Alhambra
24738 00 551 10 = Leon Cupra/GTI

Afraid you were given the wrong 24738 00 551 00 part number for your car.
If the brakes are quiet then don't worry about it - but if you get brake noise this would be my first port of call.

1655107245176.png

From Breck's own catalogue:

Download catalogue – Breck – klocki hamulcowe do samochodów osobowych. Producent hamulców

breck.pl
1655107067474.png
Good pic to have

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
That's where I'm getting confused. Looking at the picture attached and SuperV8 reply; the wear indicator is on the right-hand side so the cut-out must be at the

That's where I'm getting confused. Looking at the picture attached and SuperV8 reply; the wear indicator is on the right-hand side so the cut-out must be at the top???
I don't understand your question?
The inboard pads with the half moon/piston cut out - the cutout goes at the top.

The Breck image you re-shared is showing the friction material side - and the piston cut out is hidden detail on the reverse - so the image would need to be 'mentally' flipped if you are trying to envisage in on the car.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.