Changing the Rear Indicators to LED

Mihai A.

Apr 24, 2020
antoce.me
Reactions: hamst

Tell

Staff member
1. No... it would use less electricity so better :). (Bulbs are good as early warning of a flat battery as the headlights dip as well to the indicators :))

2. The resistor / capacitor business comes in if you didn't have LEDs in already. The front are already LED which means you dont need to bother with the subject that people are preoccupied with on boards. It's already taken care off. Least that's my last thought when I was reading stuff on the top.

hamst

Jun 5, 2020
1. No... it would use less electricity so better :). (Bulbs are good as early warning of a flat battery as the headlights dip as well to the indicators :))

2. The resistor / capacitor business comes in if you didn't have LEDs in already. The front are already LED which means you dont need to bother with the subject that people are preoccupied with on boards. It's already taken care off. Least that's my last thought when I was reading stuff on the top.

Thanks for your crystal clear explanation. I confirm that there is absolutely no difference and the car runs as good as day one.

Twed

Apr 1, 2020
Thanks for all the the info on this Tell. Just ordered a set to go in my FR Sport.

Obviously a cost saving move by Seat not putting LED's in or having integrated ones as the LEDs on the other half's Leon look great!

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
They are pretty bright and give you the sharp on and off whilst filaments give you the lazy flash as the intensity drops slowly.

Seat were probably saving something back to put on the next edition like the bar light they hint at on the Tarraco but didnt provide at launch. Reckon it's more staging the designs than cost savings.

Loadmaster748

Roll on summer.....
Aug 2, 2019
Surrey, UK
Holy thread revival..!

Being an old thread, just thought I'd check what's the current choice, or options, for indicator LEDS for the rear of a 2020 Ateca?

Thanks.

Tell

Staff member
Assuming you got the pre LED rear bulbs and want LED....

On face value the ones we previously found which were the Vannasi model but badged as something else were these... currently not available

They were 21SMB equivalent of 850 Lumen.

Looking at the current Amazon suggestion alternatives:

1. These but only 600 Lumens so not so bright as the 850 Lumen upgrade

2. This one 900 Lumens, 33 SMBs

3. This 900 Lumens, 33 SMBs

Think I'll pass on the difference between 2 and 3 unless anyone can spot it.

So I reckon on similar output to the original one I posted up in 2017 and again in 2019 rebranded the links 2 and 3 are the equivalent but with 33 light emitting pads to the original 21 SMB upgrade.

Anybody spot the different in 2 and 3 ?. PY21W is the fitting. Amber is the colour and 900 or so Lumens the target brightness. Anything else different in the two links ?.

Similar to the original 21SMB but with 33 SMBs they seem to be branded under different names. Another alternative to 2 and 3 above. It's all branding.

Happy hunting. I bought 4 at the time so I had two spare. 5 years later the original 2 Vanassi are still going strong ✔. Ditto with the high intensity reversing lights, bought two spare. Haven't needed them either but saved re looking. Thing about spares you don't really want to start a search again if one goes trying to find one with the same light output. Suggestions above come with spares. Set of four ✔.

Last edited:
Reactions: Loadmaster748

KV100

May 14, 2019
Ive recently bought some LED indicator bulbs for the rear of my MK3 Leon FR Technology, and yes the add said CANbus compliant. (These ones https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374844629873?var=643919950382) The problem is that when I fit the bulbs, I get an error message and they dont flash. Ive been told that I need to fit resistors with the bulbs. Can any one tell me what size resistors i need please as there seems to be many different ones. Many thanks :)

Tell

Staff member
With the Ateca the front are LED already so the fabled resistor is already in the circuit which is why you can replace the rear with LED, suspect that's why.

Called Can Bus resisters.

This might be of use

No such issues with the Ateca that I put down as I said to being already semi LED in the pre face lifted ones. Think you get them on Amazon. I have seen people on Leon threads saying put one in. But we are ok here with Atecas🤔.

You might want to post the question on a Leon thread.

KV100

May 14, 2019
With the Ateca the front are LED already so the fabled resistor is already in the circuit which is why you can replace the rear with LED, suspect that's why.

Called Can Bus resisters.

This might be of use

No such issues with the Ateca that I put down as I said to being already semi LED in the pre face lifted ones. Think you get them on Amazon. I have seen people on Leon threads saying put one in. But we are ok here with Atecas🤔.

You might want to post the question on a Leon thread.
My Leon also has front LED indicators as standard. the bulbs I purchased said CANbus compliant but it looks like they arent. Im looking for help in getting them to work correctly.

Tell

Staff member
Sure it's not the bulbs being fully not upto spec, you might find something on this search on the board:

I seem to recall on the Ateca we only changed bulbs to proven ones that worked lifting the spec from Ateca Spanish and German boards... where I got them from. Was a while ago so if you pick other unproven ones things might not work.

The general can bus spec is to stop the error code coming up but I do recall when people went off the recommendation things didn't work out well. There was a case of someone fitting internal lights to LED and it flashed. Xcellence always had LED internal lights whilst the lower spec Atecas didn't. The dark art of these can bus resistors isn't one I have had experience of. Others do but not on the Ateca unless it's the inside lights of non LED cars :oops:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.