Chirping noise, help!

madduffyx

Dec 21, 2009
Hi guys,

All I seem to do is post stuff on here that goes wrong with my car lol

But.....Driving today there was an awful chirping noise coming from what sounded like the back end of the car. It was louder when the car was going 20-30mph then got quieter and higher pitch when up to 60-70 mph. It can only be described as how a baby bird would chirp! It also gets quicker the faster you drive so must be related to the turning of the wheels

The sound eventually disappeared after 15 minutes so i'll need to wait until I drive home from work to see if it comes back.

Does anyone have any idea as I don't have a clue!

Last edited:

keithjeb

Nov 1, 2013
Are you sure it was coming from the back of the car? On other cars I've had something similar when the belt socket is in certain positions.

madduffyx

Dec 21, 2009
I think it was coming from the back of the car, it was really difficult to tell because up front the whole bloody car rattles lol One of those noises that it's difficult to determine where its coming from when your driving on your own.

320i24v

Feb 17, 2014
I think it was coming from the back of the car, it was really difficult to tell because up front the whole bloody car rattles lol One of those noises that it's difficult to determine where its coming from when your driving on your own.

"The whole bloody car rattles"?
Really? I have one on order. I am beginning to think that I have not been a wise-man and did not choose correctly? :wtf:

madduffyx

Dec 21, 2009
Lol slight exaggeration, just the passenger door and dashboard behind the steering wheel

madduffyx

Dec 21, 2009
I'll have a look sooty. I thought I might be break related as the car makes a loud bang on occasions when you pull away. It's like the rear breaks are too tight?

320i24v

Feb 17, 2014
Lol slight exaggeration, just the passenger door and dashboard behind the steering wheel

OK, the paper work has been signed, the car has been payed for, I can only wait and hope I will get a peach and not a lemon. :cartman:

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Certainly sounds like something 'on rotation' which could narrow it down to wheels/brakes/wheel bearings. Does it speed up or slow down in pitch??

Not unknown for them to pick up a stone and it get lodged behind a disc. Did this on my Mk2 Cupra a few years ago.

Doesn't sound too clever though. :(

Last edited:

madduffyx

Dec 21, 2009
It becomes higher pitch the quicker the car is travelling. Becomes louder and slightly lower pitch when you start to slow down.

When you got down to really slow like 20mph you could hear a slight grinding noise and less of a chirp :S

Luckily it's in the garage a week today to get the door seal and rattles fixed so it'll just be another thing for them to do :(

keithjeb

Nov 1, 2013
I'd describe a stone in a pad as much more of a screech than a chirp, the fact it went away after a while makes me think it could be two plastic panels rubbing, and when they warm up they expand a bit so they don't.

Ant

Jan 19, 2014
North Somerset
If you've got a bit of time, try jacking up each corner and turning the wheel slowly by hand to see if anything feels/sounds odd. I had a Polo a few years ago that started making grinding noises at low speed - front right wheel turned smoothly and silently, front left made the grinding noise, to took the wheel off and found a stone stuck between the bracket and disc. Flicked the stone out, and good as new :)

The chirp/squeak/grinding will depend a lot on the type, size and shape of stone and whether it is in the pad or against the disc elsewhere. Just giving each wheel a spin with the engine off should give you a good indication.

keithjeb

Nov 1, 2013
It becomes higher pitch the quicker the car is travelling. Becomes louder and slightly lower pitch when you start to slow down.

When you got down to really slow like 20mph you could hear a slight grinding noise and less of a chirp :S

Luckily it's in the garage a week today to get the door seal and rattles fixed so it'll just be another thing for them to do :(

That does indeed sound like a stone in the caliper, in which case try reversing it a way, it may dislodge it, otherwise get it up on a jack or take it in straight away. I've had disks damaged to the point of needing replacement by similar things (although in that case it was a nail managed to get in there).

madduffyx

Dec 21, 2009
Cheers Ant and Keith,

I'll get it jacked up once I've finished work and before I drive home. See if I can see anything :)

scrich7

Oct 6, 2013
Bedford
I keep getting a strange noise to be honest, not the same, but just as odd! I get what I can only describe as a 'rustling leaves' sound from the engine when under load at around 2k rpm!

And before anyone says it, yes I have checked to see if I have trapped leaves under the bonnet ;)

madduffyx

Dec 21, 2009
Scrich, mine just randomly stopped the other day. After suggestions it was a stone betwen my calliper and disc I gave the car a good driving and it just stopped never to be heard again lol I hope you get yours sorted out but I'm afraid I have no suggestions :(

Last edited:

keithjeb

Nov 1, 2013
I keep getting a strange noise to be honest, not the same, but just as odd! I get what I can only describe as a 'rustling leaves' sound from the engine when under load at around 2k rpm!

And before anyone says it, yes I have checked to see if I have trapped leaves under the bonnet ;)

loose turbo hose as it comes on boost? Is it consistently at 2k, or at a certain speed?

EoinM

I don't know whether this is the same thing but I've noticed something with mine since I picked it up the other day. There's a groaning noise once I hit 110kph ish up to about 130. First I thought it might be the tyres, then maybe the brakes binding a bit or even a wheel bearing.

Anyone have anything similar? It seems to be from the passenger side, possibly the rear.

320i24v

Feb 17, 2014
I don't know whether this is the same thing but I've noticed something with mine since I picked it up the other day. There's a groaning noise once I hit 110kph ish up to about 130. First I thought it might be the tyres, then maybe the brakes binding a bit or even a wheel bearing.

Anyone have anything similar? It seems to be from the passenger side, possibly the rear.

What engines do you guys have? I am asking this because I now there are some noise issues with the 1.4 TSI 122 BHP. :blink:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise