Choice of Tyres

pkaps

vz310
May 10, 2022
DEKRA real world convoy test.
Results speak from themselves

View attachment 35303

View attachment 35304
First table is about sport tires and not touring tires and more so regarding the longevity and not performance and the second table although for touring tires but not for the 245/40/19 tire that the Formentor has which is way different in every aspect than the 205/55/16 tested here and more so again about the longevity and not performance, so not really saying anything about performance which is what we are talking about. Stick to what Modena, an ex F1 Formula driver does and says driving at 200+ km an hour with the Turanza and you will have all your queries professionally answered. As I said before I love Michelins but cannot discard other brands and especially Bridgestones when they are elected to be put on a car like the Formentr VZ 310. Those people making this selection surely know a lot more than me, you and everybody else in here about tires, otherwise we would have been doing their job.

Reactions: G.P and Seastormer

Lip

Jan 19, 2023
It is funny, and this goes with all car manufacturers, we choose their product, being a Formentor or whatever, which means we trust them and we put our money to them and then we turn around and say, no, we know better than them , the tires they put on are crap. I've said that before and I will say it again, if you were a Cupra developer, executive whatever, would you really put crap tires to a car you count on introducing your brand with and basically depend on making a good name, especially today when the competition is fierce? Didn't they know better, or do we think that we know better? We are talking about a sporty to performance car, don't you think that they have tested different brands before they choose which one suits best? Would they put a crap tire to their car so that it would feel unsafe and difficult to drive? Would that bring more customers to them? Who on earth would allow this in a sporty performance brand? Yes, ofcourse decisions about tires and every part of a car are also decided basis the production cost and economics but not to the degree that this decision would harm the brand, especially a new brand. The Bridgestones are not considered cheap, they are in the same price range or very close to similar Michelins or Continentals. Yes Michelins or Continentals or any other brand may seem, according to our liking, marginally or way better, still this is mostly subjective and depends on a lot of factors, like where you live, weather conditions, road conditions, driving style and so many more. No tire maker can make a tire that will outperform under any conditions any other tire. All these premium tires are all worth their money, there are no crap tires in that range, its all about personal preference, you win some you lose some, and although I would have preferred to have Michelins from factory, since I'm a Michelin guy, I'm happy with the Bridgestones, for 15000 kms so far never have they let me down once.¨

Don't forget that car manufacturers get special deals with tyre manufacturers, that can have a huge influence on what ends up on a car. You can read all the review in the world and there is none that would label the Turanzas T005 as a sporty tyre, it'a touring tyre as the name suggests. So yes, Cupra knowingly put a tyre on the car that doesn't suit the highest engines, certainly not the 310 HP.

For some people it's fine, and there is nothing wrong with that. But if you are a driving enthusiast, you will notice an important difference for the better when switching to a real UHP/ UUHP tyre.

By the way, if Cupra absolutely had to stick with Bridgestone, the sporty tyres in that case would be the Potenzas.

Lip

Jan 19, 2023
I guess my friend you know better than those who made the car. I also guess that they at Cupra must be really stupid choosing this tire , selling the car like that and most importantly giving it to the press for testing like that. Unless they forced them to only do school runs with the car!
I've seen several Formentor reviews where the journalist say that the Turanzas are not good enough for the car.

LetsForment

Nov 28, 2022
South East England
Here is a bit more material... Spent a bit of time this morning calling around and it looks like the t005 non rft's come in at £205 a corner, the pilot5's at £210 and the pilot4's at £245. Does that sound about right, or am I paying the south London tax here?

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Here is a bit more material... Spent a bit of time this morning calling around and it looks like the t005 non rft's come in at £205 a corner, the pilot5's at £210 and the pilot4's at £245. Does that sound about right, or am I paying the south London tax here?
Michelin PS4 are £175 each at Costco.

Goodyear Eagle F1 supersports are £151 each at Costco

Both are +£8.40 fitting

Reactions: LetsForment

pkaps

vz310
May 10, 2022
Don't forget that car manufacturers get special deals with tyre manufacturers, that can have a huge influence on what ends up on a car. You can read all the review in the world and there is none that would label the Turanzas T005 as a sporty tyre, it'a touring tyre as the name suggests. So yes, Cupra knowingly put a tyre on the car that doesn't suit the highest engines, certainly not the 310 HP.

For some people it's fine, and there is nothing wrong with that. But if you are a driving enthusiast, you will notice an important difference for the better when switching to a real UHP/ UUHP tyre.

By the way, if Cupra absolutely had to stick with Bridgestone, the sporty tyres in that case would be the Potenzas.
Its obvious that Cupra wanted touring tires for the Formentor even for the 310 hp version. Has nothing to do with cost as sport and touring tires of the major tire manufacturers are very close in price. If you see tests for touring tires such as Turanza or Primacy or Continental premium contact and the likes, the performance is very close to their next level sport tires of the same companies. Only an enthousiast or track driver would need more and that mainly on the track. The average driver is more than happy with a touring tire on a B suv or jacked up hatchback as the Formentor, I think that's what they were thinking at Cupra and thats what they did and most buyers are happy with that. Not every driver wants a sport tire as they lack comfort and longevity compared to a touring tire and performance wise they are not giving up as much, especially when we have to consider the bad condition of most of our roads. Im sure if Cupra had fitted more sporty oriented tires the complains would have been a major issue about the harshness of the ride. I'm sure whoever fitted a sportier tire like the PS5 or PS4S would really attest to that. Better to have on this car a touring tire to start with as the Turanza or Primacy (I would have preferred the Primacy ofcourse but cannot,as said before, so far complain with the Turanza they are very good tires nomatter what) both being with quite sporty characteristics and if I really want something sportier then to be up to me to decide when replacement time comes. Very few people would really elect to replace them from the start, unless they want to take the car on track days.

Reactions: Lip and Seastormer

Lip

Jan 19, 2023
Its obvious that Cupra wanted touring tires for the Formentor even for the 310 hp version. Has nothing to do with cost as sport and touring tires of the major tire manufacturers are very close in price. If you see tests for touring tires such as Turanza or Primacy or Continental premium contact and the likes, the performance is very close to their next level sport tires of the same companies. Only an enthousiast or track driver would need more and that mainly on the track. The average driver is more than happy with a touring tire on a B suv or jacked up hatchback as the Formentor, I think that's what they were thinking at Cupra and thats what they did and most buyers are happy with that. Not every driver wants a sport tire as they lack comfort and longevity compared to a touring tire and performance wise they are not giving up as much, especially when we have to consider the bad condition of most of our roads. Im sure if Cupra had fitted more sporty oriented tires the complains would have been a major issue about the harshness of the ride. I'm sure whoever fitted a sportier tire like the PS5 or PS4S would really attest to that. Better to have on this car a touring tire to start with as the Turanza or Primacy (I would have preferred the Primacy ofcourse but cannot,as said before, so far complain with the Turanza they are very good tires nomatter what) both being with quite sporty characteristics and if I really want something sportier then to be up to me to decide when replacement time comes. Very few people would really elect to replace them from the start, unless they want to take the car on track days.
Between the Turanzas and the Conti SportContact 7, subjectively, no loss of comfort, no more noise. But I gained grip, better handling and according to reviews, a hell lot more wet grip (I have not tried to go for the limits on the wet, it's more of a safety feature for me).

I've had several Bridgestone tyres in the past and they are notoriously harder than most of the competition. The only advantage I can see is more mileage.

So again, from my personal point of view, a 310 HP car that was tuned as a sports car, deserves sports tyres. The top of the range Formentor VZ5 comes out of the factory on Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSports, moreover a bigger size (20 inch).

The 310 HP Formentor is clearly oriented the same way. The VZ5 was made to be able to sustain track days, the 310 HP is a step down with no track ambitions, but aimed at sport driving on the roads.

There is a clear difference in the setup of the 150 HP and the 310 HP version, yet they come with the same tyres. That makes no sense.

Sport tyres make the 310 HP noticeably more enjoyable car without making you lose anything compared to the Turanzas, except maybe for the mileage. Will everybody notice? Probably not. But I believe that people who pay the extra money for the 310 HP version like spirited driving, which is exactly when you will enjoy the sport tyre.

Reactions: TollyBhoy

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
Cupra knowingly put a tyre on the car that doesn't suit the highest engines, certainly not the 310 HP.

Thankfully tyres have improved, Dunlop D40's on Cosworths in the 90's with 500+ bhp would be considered a low end budget now, todays cars demand more from a tyre due to weight, been driven through the front wheels & electronic traction control and of course right foot control, but yes, should really of been fitted with PS5 or Potenza's, of which may actually cover more miles for some drivers as they'd do less work than a touring tyre on the limit..

Reactions: Seastormer and Lip

pkaps

vz310
May 10, 2022
I'm sorry but the guy works as the Technical Marketing Manager for Bridgestone, so what he says does not really matter.

Independent reviews say it's a good touring tyre with no sport ambitions because of the numb behaviour: https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyre/Bridgestone/Turanza-T005.htm
I don't really care where and for whom he works, he is not just talking about the tire like us, he is putting it on a real stress test, on high speeds, on high speed slaloms and sudden change of direction, braking etc and I can see that real time not something that somebody just wrote about.. If that's not the best test for a tire suited for performance cars I don't know what is! Are tire reviews, that are mostly patronized such as car reviews, and done at quite lower speeds and not at the level at which Modena is testing the Turanza, more credible and reliable? What tire would you trust more, one like Modena tested (I m not talking about just the Turanza but any tire that would endure such test) or one that tirereview.com and the likes are reviewing? Isn't it also questionable that for the same tire different reviewers have different opinions? Would you really trust those or a proffessional driver putting to test a tire as Modena did the Turanza?

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I don't really care where and for whom he works, he is not just talking about the tire like us, he is putting it on a real stress test, on high speeds, on high speed slaloms and sudden change of direction, braking etc and I can see that real time not something that somebody just wrote about.. If that's not the best test for a tire suited for performance cars I don't know what is! Are tire reviews, that are mostly patronized such as car reviews, and done at quite lower speeds and not at the level at which Modena is testing the Turanza, more credible and reliable? What tire would you trust more, one like Modena tested (I m not talking about just the Turanza but any tire that would endure such test) or one that tirereview.com and the likes are reviewing? Isn't it also questionable that for the same tire different reviewers have different opinions? Would you really trust those or a proffessional driver putting to test a tire as Modena did the Turanza?
I would be more inclined to listen to tyrereviews who even conduct some test blind by someone who does not work for the company they are plugging 🤷🏻‍♂️

pkaps

vz310
May 10, 2022
I would be more inclined to listen to tyrereviews who even conduct some test blind by someone who does not work for the company they are plugging 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yes, sure, that's why for the same tire you get different opinions by different reviewers, because they are not patronized, right? Good luck my friend!

chris_louk

May 13, 2022
I don’t find it irrational for tyre reviews to have entirely different outcomes, because they are conducted on different cars, outside temperatures and road conditions, which can make a huge difference.

The reviews that really matter, are the ones on your specific car. I don’t care what any reviewer says. I am driving the darn thing and I can tell for sure that on the Formentor the Turanzas have underwhelming grip and road feedback and they hop like crazy when i apply too much throttle.

Reactions: SRGTD

pkaps

vz310
May 10, 2022
Well, out of the thousands and thousands that have the Turanzas on their Formentors, only a few complain, that should say it all. If I really were so dissatisfied like you I would have changed them right away no matter what. Don't know what version you have, if its a FWD, tires are cold, you floor it and the road surface is not the best or wet you may have what you are talking about but that should go for every tire, its not the tire but the conditions. Mine is the VZ 4WD so never have I experienced anything like that even on bad surfaces unless its wet and the road surface is not the best, on my 2018 Polo which is a FWD happens like crazy al the time rain or shine and I have almost new Michelin Primacys on it. On my previous Q3, CRV both 4WD, both with Michelins Primacys never have I experienced anything like what you are talking about , that's why I'm saying what I'm saying about the Turanzas, I'm coming almost entirely from a Michelin family (even on my 2 Corrados and my Fiat Coupe I have Michelins SP, although I loved also the Bridgestone Adrenalins on my one Corrado which are not been made anymore) and the first to have criticized the Turanzas should have been me! Now I'm at 16000 km, don't know how they will behave at 20 or more, what I can say from my experience with Primacys, and that's why I value them and prefer them, is that throughout their lifespan they hardly loose their characteristics.

Reactions: Seastormer

Lip

Jan 19, 2023
So you probably are buying everything you see an ad for because they say it's great. All right.

Lip

Jan 19, 2023
My posts were never meant to say that the Turanzas are bad tyres, I am not bashing them at all. What I am saying is that the 310 HP Formentor was tuned as a sports car, and as such, it deserves sport tyres so that the driver can enjoy the car's capabilities the most. And the Turanzas are not a sport tyre. I have no problem whatsoever with people who like the Turanza on their Formentors, good for them.

For me a sport tyre is more suited because it gives me more pleasure when driving, I enjoy it more as I can explore the car's capabilities more. The Formentor really is a great driver's car, I hope that's a point we can all agree on. Let everyone enjoy their car on tyres they like the most.

Last edited:

chris_louk

May 13, 2022
Well, out of the thousands and thousands that have the Turanzas on their Formentors, only a few complain, that should say it all. If I really were so dissatisfied like you I would have changed them right away no matter what. Don't know what version you have, if its a FWD, tires are cold, you floor it and the road surface is not the best or wet you may have what you are talking about but that should go for every tire, its not the tire but the conditions. Mine is the VZ 4WD so never have I experienced anything like that even on bad surfaces unless its wet and the road surface is not the best, on my 2018 Polo which is a FWD happens like crazy al the time rain or shine and I have almost new Michelin Primacys on it. On my previous Q3, CRV both 4WD, both with Michelins Primacys never have I experienced anything like what you are talking about , that's why I'm saying what I'm saying about the Turanzas, I'm coming almost entirely from a Michelin family (even on my 2 Corrados and my Fiat Coupe I have Michelins SP, although I loved also the Bridgestone Adrenalins on my one Corrado which are not been made anymore) and the first to have criticized the Turanzas should have been me! Now I'm at 16000 km, don't know how they will behave at 20 or more, what I can say from my experience with Primacys, and that's why I value them and prefer them, is that throughout their lifespan they hardly loose their characteristics.
How can you tell how many owners like or dislike the tyre? Cupra didn’t make a public poll asking about that, as far as I can remember. There is no way for you to know if people like them, and judjing from forum discussions such as this one, they don’t.

As you can see from my previous comments, I never said they are trash, quite the opposite.
They are one of the best turing tyres money can buy IMO. But they are touring tyres, they don’t pretend to be sporty and Bridgestone themselves reccommend the Potenzas for sporty usage anyways.
I am saying that they are bad FOR THE OCCASION. The Primacy for example are excellent tyres. Can you imagine how pissed buyers would be if their BMW M2 was fitted with them?

Reactions: TollyBhoy and Lip
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.