Choice of Tyres

chris_louk

May 13, 2022
I had Pilot Sport 5 tyres fitted just before Christmas to my VZ2 310 just before Christmas and find them far better, the car is more pointy and eager to turn in to a corner compared to the Bridgestone 005’s.
How do they compare in terms of ride comfort, road noise and fuel consumption?
Did you experience any noticable difference between Bridges and PS5s in these aspects?

IanH72

Jan 20, 2019
I would say the ride is very slightly harder but can be tuned out by making the suspension 1 notch softer, there has been no noticeable difference in road noise or fuel consumption. The biggest difference I noticed is front end grip, the car just feels so much better when turning both in the dry and in heavy rain. I’m really happy with the choice, especially as I got them on offer in Costco so only paid £613 for a new set.

Reactions: chris_louk

Secretagent

Nov 26, 2022
On my previous car a JCW Mini it had Dunlop run flats all round, I'd experienced the Pilot Sports on my BMW M235i and yes they are in my opinion the preferred fitting but when I needed to replace two tyres on the JCW (potholes) I stayed with the Dunlop run flats as I didn't want to mix tyres and to be honest when pushing hard they worked fine for me even though the JCW forum kept banging on about how good the Pilot Sports were just as on here.
Now my 310 VZ2 is fitted with Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres and I find absolutely no problem with them and I've watched a YouTube video on them that shows they are indeed an excellent tyre but what if I had to change one or two? Well I'd stick with the Eagles, now what if I had the Bridgestone tyres fitted and I needed to change one? Well I think I'd stick with the Bridgestone tyres unless I felt I needed to change due to any safety concerns, obviously if three or more needed changing then I'd go for the Pilot Sports,

Last edited:

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
On my previous car a JCW Mini it had Dunlop run flats all round, I'd experienced the Pilot Sports on my BMW M235i and yes they are in my opinion the preferred fitting but when I needed to replace two tyres on the JCW (potholes) I stayed with the Dunlop run flats as I didn't want to mix tyres and to be honest when pushing hard they worked fine for me even though the JCW forum kept banging on about how good the Pilot Sports were just as on here.
Now my 310 VZ2 is fitted with Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres and I find absolutely no problem with them and I've watched a YouTube video on them that shows they are indeed an excellent tyre but what if I had to change one or two? Well I'd stick with the Eagles, now what if I had the Bridgestone tyres fitted and I needed to change one? Well I think I'd stick with the Bridgestone tyres unless I felt I needed to change due to any safety concerns, obviously if three or more needed changing then I'd go for the Pilot Sports,
Goodyear Eagle F1's and Dunlop Sport Maxx's are also very good tyres.

My Mini Cooper has Dunlop Sport Maxx RFT's and they are very good if you didn't kmow they were RFT you would be unable to guess

Reactions: Secretagent

pkaps

vz310
May 10, 2022
My Bridgestones are still great after 15000 km, don't know why people want to change them! Any, if, difference to a new set for everyday use is minor and not worth the money, I will wait until they really wear down before I replace them.

chris_louk

May 13, 2022
My Bridgestones are still great after 15000 km, don't know why people want to change them! Any, if, difference to a new set for everyday use is minor and not worth the money, I will wait until they really wear down before I replace them.
Tbh I would also only replace once the Bridges are worn down. They are not bad, I just expected them to be better.

It’s just that they feel kinda “floaty” instead of planted and grippy on the road and they skid a lot when I put the car in sport mode and try to have some fun.

I think that people with the 310 version like yourself have a different experience because you have that AWD system to do intelligent torque vectoring between all four wheels. The FWD versions depend much more on the tyre to give them grip rather that the drivetrain.

pkaps

vz310
May 10, 2022
Yes, you are right, I just didn't know you had a FWD, anyhow Michelin is my favorite brand so when time comes I will look tha way first, from Bridgestone I loved the Adrenalins (don't think they are in production any more) , a bit firm, wear faster but they stuck like glue, so Bridgestone can make good tires, its all about what you really want and need.

Ninjakebab

Apr 12, 2022
I'm experiencing a ton of wheel hop on my stock Turanza T005s as soon as the road is slightly damp. Sometimes on dry too.

I'm thinking of making the switch to Pilot Sports this season, or some of the other contenders if I get convinced otherwise. I have about 18.000 km on the Turanzas so It's about time anyway - even though there is plenty of thread left! Impressive, really

pkaps

vz310
May 10, 2022
At 18000 km the tires are at their midlife especially if there is a lot of thread left as you say. By saying wheel hop what do you exactly mean, that they bounce or that your steering wheel is affected?

Ninjakebab

Apr 12, 2022
At 18000 km the tires are at their midlife especially if there is a lot of thread left as you say. By saying wheel hop what do you exactly mean, that they bounce or that your steering wheel is affected?
I actually thought 20.000 would be around the expected lifetime! It feels like a waste if I replace them now, to be honest, but I really want something different :/

By wheel hop i mean that they bounce. Quite violently. So much that when I raced a colleague from a standstill in the rain, the smacking sound was so loud and mechanical it could be heard in the other car. He thought I trashed the gearbox or something. It's really uncomfortable

pkaps

vz310
May 10, 2022
Hope what you are describing is not the sound of tires and traction system trying to get a grip on wet surface when accelerating. If not still I would be surprised to have had deformed tires from factory and just noticed it unless they were unevenly worn during these 18000 km.

Ninjakebab

Apr 12, 2022
Hope what you are describing is not the sound of tires and traction system trying to get a grip on wet surface when accelerating
It absolutely is. I release the throttle immediately when that happens.
Isn't that what everyone means by "wheel hop"?

pkaps

vz310
May 10, 2022
Yes, but has nothing to do with the tires. It may be more noticable when the tires are worn and the street surface is quite uneven, usual condition of public roads, but even new tires can do that on wet street surfaces. If there was a problem with your tires the same would occur under any speed and not only under hard acceleration from standstill. However, you should avoid doing so or if you have to, ease up on the gas pedal until you can feel the car's tires having full grip on the surface.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
What is the Climate in Greece i would imagine the Bridgestones are more than happy at higher temps.

UK is not so good in near freezing temps

pkaps

vz310
May 10, 2022
Yes, you are right, perfect weather for this tire, still abt 16-17 deg C and sunny most of the time so far, so consider an * to my comments!

Lip

Jan 19, 2023
I switched the tyres about 700 km after I got my VZ310. I went with the reviews that say that the best sport tyre currently is the Continental SportContact 7 and I don't regret my decision at all. They are not more comfortable or more silent than the Turanza T005 that was originally on the car. But they offer more grip and better handling. The steering is more precise and it's when you go faster in the corners that you really notice it. The SportContact 7 also has excellent results on the wet and I have no complaints here either.

Overall I would say that if you like sporty driving, than the SportContact 7 is a great choice. If it is more comfort or silence that you are seeking, then there are better choices.

By the way, for the winter I got an original set from Cupra with the Pirelli P Zero Winter tyres and I am very satisfied with them too. The losses on the handling side are the smallest I've ever experienced, when you compare to summer tyres. While handling on the wet and snow is very good too. Although something like a Continental WinterContact is probably a little bit better on the snow, judging by my past experience.

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
Goodyear Eagle F1's and Dunlop Sport Maxx's are also very good tyres.

My Mini Cooper has Dunlop Sport Maxx RFT's and they are very good if you didn't kmow they were RFT you would be unable to guess
Which Eagle's and Dunlops as now I'm confused as for me the eagle F1 ass. 4 & 5's were a great all round tyre but the Dunlops RT and RT2 really did lack both wet and dry grip with both having a sidewall to soft for a tyre profile over 40.

Odd how we all review different tyres with many not agreeing with test results!!!

Reactions: mathyou78

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Which Eagle's and Dunlops as now I'm confused as for me the eagle F1 ass. 4 & 5's were a great all round tyre but the Dunlops RT and RT2 really did lack both wet and dry grip with both having a sidewall to soft for a tyre profile over 40.

Odd how we all review different tyres with many not agreeing with test results!!!
Sport Maxx RT and Goodyear Eagle F1 Ass 5's. I would imagine the 6's are better however haven't tried personally.

The Spory Maxx RT's i had were RFT so maybe that gave a firmer sidewall. 205/45/17 they were

Tyres are very subjective. Size / rft / non rft and the vehicle they are on.
Some suit some do not

Reactions: G.P

pkaps

vz310
May 10, 2022
It is funny, and this goes with all car manufacturers, we choose their product, being a Formentor or whatever, which means we trust them and we put our money to them and then we turn around and say, no, we know better than them , the tires they put on are crap. I've said that before and I will say it again, if you were a Cupra developer, executive whatever, would you really put crap tires to a car you count on introducing your brand with and basically depend on making a good name, especially today when the competition is fierce? Didn't they know better, or do we think that we know better? We are talking about a sporty to performance car, don't you think that they have tested different brands before they choose which one suits best? Would they put a crap tire to their car so that it would feel unsafe and difficult to drive? Would that bring more customers to them? Who on earth would allow this in a sporty performance brand? Yes, ofcourse decisions about tires and every part of a car are also decided basis the production cost and economics but not to the degree that this decision would harm the brand, especially a new brand. The Bridgestones are not considered cheap, they are in the same price range or very close to similar Michelins or Continentals. Yes Michelins or Continentals or any other brand may seem, according to our liking, marginally or way better, still this is mostly subjective and depends on a lot of factors, like where you live, weather conditions, road conditions, driving style and so many more. No tire maker can make a tire that will outperform under any conditions any other tire. All these premium tires are all worth their money, there are no crap tires in that range, its all about personal preference, you win some you lose some, and although I would have preferred to have Michelins from factory, since I'm a Michelin guy, I'm happy with the Bridgestones, for 15000 kms so far never have they let me down once.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.