Cleaning Engine Bay

Graham89

Feb 21, 2010
Chelmsford, Essex
What do you guys use to clean up the bay. At the moment mine is standard but very dusty. Want to get the thing looking like new! Well near as possible anyway..

sambryant

RoadRunner meep meep
Mar 26, 2009
Bristol
microfibre cloth and auto glym bumber care. the bumper care is perfect for high shine on the engine cover and pipes. for my engine cover i use bleach as mine is white :)

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
WD40 on all pipe work and metal polish on all the metal bits, for the paint I use mild soapy water and whatever wax is at hand, i avoid micro fibre clothes on silicon pipes as it just leaves fluff behind and op for a small sponge soaked in WD40, but TBO it just takes plenty of elbow grease.

Last edited:

Ape

-----Hairy Hoonigan-----
I use degreaser and some stiff brushes etc, and water at hosepipe pressure. Then some autosol for the polished metal and Bumper Care or Meg's Tyre Shine on anything black, along with some Poorboys SR2 followed by Collinite 915s on the paintwork in the bay. Takes plenty of Elbow Grease as well but you can get some good results :)

i cleaned mine for the first time last weekend, it was pretty mank so i used 'gunk' engine degreaser and a stiff brush then lots of water, ran the engine to dry a little then used tescos own bumper and tire spray for shine on the rubber.

all came up clean apart from where the:censored: eejit 'proffesional' valeter in dundee laquered everything under the hood.

i thought they stopped doing that in the 80's? anyway il laquer remover for that, but ye the gunk is great stuff

Jan 3, 2006
East Kilbride
Autoglym engine bay cleaner - spray on, let it soak, hose off

Dry

Then platic rubber dressing.

Will be doing mine shortly once we see the last of the gritters....!

Deleted member 48395

It's on my list of things to do once I've given the rest of the car a good going over. Am I right in thinking I am ok to hose down the engine bay (gently) if the battery and engine covers are still on?

CupraRcleanR

Aerospace 303 is a great for the finishing touches. AG Machine & Engine cleaner is a good degreaser. Works well on your arches too.

Last edited by a moderator:

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
opened up my bonnet the other week and nearly shat meself..was utterly filthy, still not up to standard but getting there lol...

i use meguirers trim spray for engine cover, meguires tyre shine for the pipes with a microfibre cloth, paintbush for the hard bits and meguires NXT gen metal polish for all chrome and polished things

So is there anything I reallt need to avoid or am I generally ok just to hose it down?

if im honest i tend to be a bit gun ho with things, i cleaned the engine on the clio sport cup that i had before my lion and it didnt run right for hours. (to give you an idea of how much water i slap on lol)

i never learned my lesson :p but the leon was no problem anyway, after carefully rinsing off all the components i literally dumped 5 buckets full of water straight on to the engine and it started and ran absolutely fine.

so if i can get away with that then i would say you could safely stand there with a hose and not worry about it, others may disagree/have had a different experiance but thats mine, i have pressure washed it once as well but was fairly careful that time on the electrical components (just due to the pressure, not the actual water)

i think the only thing you have to watch on cars is the distributor cap, and the lcr (cant talk for other leons) doesn't have one, so i would just go for it bud

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise