Climate Control not working

8woodj

Help me if you can. Over the weekend the climatronic blower motor on my 05 Altea stopped working. The display shows the fan to running at full pelt but nothing comes out. I have tried the reset option for the climatronic ie ECON and middle button which goes through the process of resetting the controls but still the fan doesn't work. I have also looked at any fuse that looks like it is anything to do with the climatronic but none are blown. One thing I have noticed is that there is a lot of noise from behind the dash like a tock tock sound and a possible bubbling sound - is this normal after a reset? Also although we have had the car regularly serviced I am not aware of any air con servicing taking place - should this have happened during the last 3 1/2 years?

As you can guess the car is out of warranty and I fear a hefty bill but without a fan the car is dangerous to drive as it mists up easily especially up here in Scotland with all the rain we have!

Jon:cry:

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
No idea myself, but I'm sure others will be along soon. I know the flap control motors can give problems and this is often the otc toc type sound.
Mine has always gurgled a little on start up and switch off.

8woodj

Thanks for the reply but do you think a stuck flap would prevent the fan operating? I was trawelling the forum yesterday and saw what appeared to be the identical problem to mine but that was fixed by removing the 40amp fuse and replacing it which seemed to reset the system and bingo it worked but alas not for me. That was when i tried the ECON - middle button trick but although it goes through all the resetting phase with a lots of servo type sounds appearing the fan refuses to start. All of the display works fine but I have now noticed that the recirculation button works for a few seconds after I start the car then it automatically goes to the AUTO message and will not go back to recirculate until I switch off the car. Start the car and again I can get it to show but again only for a few seconds. To me this climate control sounds like it has gone very screwy and is going to cost me a lot to fix! Does anyone know where the fan is? Is it easily accessible or is it hidden deep within the dash?

Jon:cry:

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
we have seen heater motors failing due to pollen filters not being replaced and causing overload. also, the heater resistor which controls fan speed can fail but whereas it comes separately on standard a/c, if you have climatronic it only comes with a complete heater unit.

8woodj

Thanks for the reply and to be honest the one I feared! Seeing as you look like you maybe a dealer what is the likely cost here?

Thanks

Jon

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
Thanks for the reply and to be honest the one I feared! Seeing as you look like you maybe a dealer what is the likely cost here?

Thanks

Jon

first off i would book a half-hour diagnostic check with your dealer to run checks and hopefully pinpoint the fault. to add to my previous post, I have literally just updated ETKA and a heater motor is £215+vat and ETKA advises the resistor is also ordered at an additional £70+vat. fitting is really simple - its a 15 min job with no tools. remove the pollen filter, stick your hand up inside, grab and twist the motor and hey presto!
have you considered a SEAT UK goodwill claim if it is so soon out of warranty?

8woodj

These prices are not as bad as I thought - still high mind you. I would guess a half hours diagnostic would be around £60-70 on top.

As for a SEAT goodwill claim the warranty expired in March 08 would they still honour this considering the lapse in time since the expiry? Great if they would!

Jon

Tell

Staff member
OK mine has gone again, the summer last year or the year before and now, now.

When it happened last time in the middle of hot day I got back home in the heat and pulled out the 40 amp fuse on the basis that it could have blown, put it back in and it was fine. This time middle of winter, checked the threads since I was told that I could have done the reset as above. Tried it, didn't fix it, so went for option 2, the 40 amp [think it's 56 fuse number, manuals back in the car]. This did fix it. The aircon runs without this fuse, but when placed back in all OK.

So I reckon the 40 amp fuse is the "re-boot".

Tell

Staff member
Probably the econ and the centre button is the warm boot and pulling the fuse out is the cold boot ;). If I don't post back again in the near future on the thread you'll know this did it... else I'll be back moaning.

It's been OK now all day. It started last night when I switched the car on, continued into the evening although some fiddling seemed to fix it, perhaps. Problem back again in the morning going to the tip, ditto on the way back. Check of the threads for the re-boot, no help that didn't work, so back to the fuse method and that worked.

Tell

Staff member
Well I reckon pulling the said fuse out and putting it back in may have done the trick. It's fixed mine twice now and interesting that the swish reset option doesn't work.

On the motor replacement far from me to suggest that if you had the motor replaced ... would the power not be cut and one didn't really need the motor.... hmmm. I think it's just a computer thingey myself like your digibox when you have to pull the plug out to reboot when it's hung.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.