Close call...

jetsetjimbo

a.k.a James
Jun 12, 2005
J2 M5
Following my 40k service and Revo trial at Westec I was making my back to the Midlands on the A40 when a smallish white object appeared in my lane, doing about 70-80mph I decided that as it looked small I'd just try to make sure it passed underneath the centre of the car.

Whatever it was hit the front of the car with a clunk and there was nothing to be seen in the rear view mirror :cry: so I pulled over at the next garage to inspect things.

A hole had been punched in the central honeycomb section of the bumper but luckily there wasn't any damage to the radiator!!! However when cornering at low speed there was now a noise that wasn't there before.

Within 10 minutes of prodding around at home what do I produce but a golf ball trapped in the bottom of the bumper which had been rolling around!!!

It would appear that there is in fact a golf course on the A40! [:@] I feel pretty lucky that the damage wasn't any worse (radiator) or body work had been damaged! But have a good to write to the course as it could've been a whole lot worse.

Anyone traveling that section of road at the weekend should be on the lookout. ;)

God bless that bit of honeycomb plastic in protecting the radiator admirably I just hope they're not to expensive and akward to replace...

It's mad isn't it! I was driving in convoy with a bunch of other Lotus last month in Shropshire and I suddenly noticed there were a lot of people crossing the road in front of us pulling trolleys. These shortly turned out to be golf arts and I realised we were driving through the middle of a golf course that INCLUDED the road we were on! How on earth can the authorities allow such a thing??? Cars to be driving in a national speed limit area where people are driving solid balls at 100mph or more through the air at regular intervals! Bloody dangerous if you ask me!

Timthebrief

Barmy Army sleeper cell
jetsetjimbo said:
Following my 40k service and Revo trial at Westec I was making my back to the Midlands on the A40 when a smallish white object appeared in my lane, doing about 70-80mph I decided that as it looked small I'd just try to make sure it passed underneath the centre of the car.

Whatever it was hit the front of the car with a clunk and there was nothing to be seen in the rear view mirror :cry: so I pulled over at the next garage to inspect things.

A hole had been punched in the central honeycomb section of the bumper but luckily there wasn't any damage to the radiator!!! However when cornering at low speed there was now a noise that wasn't there before.

God bless that bit of honeycomb plastic in protecting the radiator admirably I just hope they're not to expensive and akward to replace...

Afraid you're looking at about £100 to replace as its a one piece honeycomb unit that fills all three spaces. I acheived a similar result with a pheasant rather than a golf ball this time last year. Lucky about the radiator though. Have you considered a slight detour on to one of their greens the next time you pass.:whistle:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members