Clunking noise on full lock!

Cupraken

Southwest Stealth
Apr 10, 2009
Street, Somerset
Hi guys, got a real bad clunking from osf when reversing on full right lock, also there when pulling away on full lock but don't do that so much! Does it even on a light throttle, first thoughts were cv joint but I've not heard it like this before, sounds like I'm running over some 2" logs.....(hard ones) and the car almost lurches with it. Could be the cv locking up but I'd have thought it would've broken by now with the power I've got. Only does it on full right lock, any less and it's fine. Checked all the suspension bushes, all seem fine, haven't checked top strut mounts yet, have seen some reports on these going, any ideas please?:confused:

Cupraken

Southwest Stealth
Apr 10, 2009
Street, Somerset
Just to add, only other time it's noisy is when booting it in 2nd and the wheels "tramp", seems to be very clunky on the drivers side, difficult to pin down tho'

Mobo

Jan 20, 2010
West midlands
Hi guys, got a real bad clunking from osf when reversing on full right lock, also there when pulling away on full lock but don't do that so much! Does it even on a light throttle, first thoughts were cv joint but I've not heard it like this before, sounds like I'm running over some 2" logs.....(hard ones) and the car almost lurches with it. Could be the cv locking up but I'd have thought it would've broken by now with the power I've got. Only does it on full right lock, any less and it's fine. Checked all the suspension bushes, all seem fine, haven't checked top strut mounts yet, have seen some reports on these going, any ideas please?:confused:

i have the same problem when reversing but i didnt notice it untill my garage told me. he said its something to do with a bar and the steering wheel. and should cost around £45 to fix but i havnt dont it yet so cant be sure

DaveysFR

May 28, 2008
Northern Ireland: Limavady
I have had this since fitting the sportlines last autumn mate, really annoying, changed the top mounts, front anti roll bar drop links also and no joy. I am thinking it might be the Track Rod Ends? My car has done 28k and is an 07 model Cupra.

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
Well my fr has done this twice since fitting sportlines and already had top mounts. My one done it on lock in reverse today. The noise seemed drivers side? could it be the spring fouling the inner wing? can't think of anything else to make that noise.

Cupraken

Southwest Stealth
Apr 10, 2009
Street, Somerset
I WILL get it sorted and post the result, but it's just too cold and I'm well busy right now! One of my customers (Bristol Audi) said they have this a lot with low profile tyres on full lock, apparently the way the tracking is set up, the inner wheel wants to turn on a different radius, with normal profile tyres the difference is taken up by flex in the sidewalls but with the low profiles the tyres can't track properly and the wheel wants to hop inwards to compensate. This would account for the problem with my car being less when it's wet as there is less grip to cause the problem. I'll keep you posted..............

DaveysFR

May 28, 2008
Northern Ireland: Limavady
UPDATE...

Cupraken,

I have some news on this issue mate, last thursday I changed my Standard dampers for KYB Gas filled dampers all round and the clicking noise has now gone. The mechanic who I used showed me my old dampers and they were totally worn out. He said that when dry steering and slow speed turning, they were making the noise.

It must have been as having replaced them the noise is totally gone and the handling is improved 10 times!

Cupraken

Southwest Stealth
Apr 10, 2009
Street, Somerset
Guess what, I fitted my std wheels (albeit with 888's on) and the noise has gone. Coincidentally when I fitted the sportlines I fitted the RS4 wheels (1/2" wider and 235/40/18's) at the same time. The noise only started or was noticed then! I'm sure this noise is a by-product of low profile tyres having no "give" in the sidewalls and when turning on full lock sometimes the inner wheel doesn't track true and whereas with taller profile tyres with more give in the sidewalls accomodate this, the stiffer sidewalls of the lower profile tyres don't and partway through the turn something has to give and the wheel hops, thus giving the clunk....... This is backed up by an Audi Tech saying this is a common problem with them! I've been over the front suspension with a fine tooth comb and there is absolutely no play in any of the bushes etc, shocks are fine, I truly believe this was the problem, unbelievably as it was a horrendous noise when it was happening!

phil_monk31

Feb 22, 2010
had the same on my fabia and just ignored it in the end.... would of been nice to of found out what caused it.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.