clunking noise

brad1

Hi all
i started getting a faint clunk noise coming from the front yesterday, and today it got even worse on the way to pod, Its hard to describe, it doesnt always do it over a bump etc, it also does it on a flat road or motorwy for example, it does it whenever it feels like if you get me, The whole front end has just had 4 new powerflex wishbone bushes and the arb bushes were powerflexed a few weeks back. Its got both new ball joints. But for example when im driving in a straight line, i put my foot down and the car moves to the left, and when i let off the throttle it settles back to going straight again. The top mount needs replacing on the drivers side. but im going to do both. but this couldnt cause the clunk noise and steering to do this could it???

brad1

anybody lol, im just about to go and buy new suspension top mount rubbers etc, just wanted to see if there was anything else to check

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Brad i have this same problem after getting the same done as you have.
Was driving me nuts but think i know what it is now. Mine is a really bad metalic thud.
I have tried slackening off and retightening the sub frame bolts with no sucess.
So what i think it is now is that the subframe bolts are stretch bolts (single use). If these weren't changed then this should be your first port of call, OEM bolts are good enough

brad1

What do you mean mate, im totally lost lol. Well suspension strut at the top in the engine bay has loads of play, up and down, side to side, and the passenger side has only what i class as minimal movement up and down, so im going to change the top mount bush of the drivers side as i dont think it should have this much play, especially not side to side :shrug:, and if it solves it, i will then change the other side aswell. Do you think this could be my problem??