Clunking noise

ian cupra r

Anyone help???

I have a noise from my vehicle that I just do not know what is it

I can only describe it as follows:
If I am pullying away slowly and gently apply the brakes I get this clunking noise and same goes in reverse

It sound like the Piston in the calipers are knocking against somehting = I have taken pads out - cleaned everything and put back on and the noise is still there - At speed the noise is not there at all, only a crawling speeds

I was wondering if it is the brake fitting kit that needs to be replaced - The sound is like the pistions pop out and clash against the back of the pads - I know sound a stupid description but I cant describe it any more

Anyone had this before?

Sorry my car is a LCR 225 2005 on a 05

andycupra

status subject to change
do you get it only when you have just changed direction? ie have just reversed.. get a clonk, then go forwards, get a clonk, but not the next time you apply the brakes?

there is a well known problem regarding the brake pads. The clonking is the pads moving and hitting against the retaining pins.

Someone i think solved this by bending the pins or spring clips... id certainly not recommend being the pins as these need to be straight!

I had this, when i replaced the pads i made sure i put on plenty of copper grease on the rear of the pad and ive had no issues since.. so you could try that.

Loads of info on this forum.

If its not brakes, then i guess you are looking at bushes somewhere.

Last edited:

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Next time you remove you pads check where the pads slide on the inside of the calliper. On the Brembo's there should be thin plates to take up some of the slack.
When I've fitted my Ferodo DS2500 pads I've had to buff off some of the paint on these as its a very tight fit.
If you don't have these this could be your problem, certainly sounds like as has been descrided before.

Also a good excuse to uprate to DS2500 pads:)

munkyboy

Jul 24, 2008
Cardiff
Ive got the same type of problem with the clonking but Ive also got a squeak coming from somewhere when Im crawling but nothing at high speeds. When I had it serviced they had a quick look and couldnt find anything obvious and thought it was the brakes but then when fitting the new brakes it was still there. I have come to the conclusion now that it is more than likely the bushes so am saving up for the polyflex bushes :D

giddy1

Hi guys i also have the same noises at the same speed if anyone finds out what it was please post the problem thanks

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Ive got the same type of problem with the clonking but Ive also got a squeak coming from somewhere when Im crawling but nothing at high speeds. When I had it serviced they had a quick look and couldnt find anything obvious and thought it was the brakes but then when fitting the new brakes it was still there. I have come to the conclusion now that it is more than likely the bushes so am saving up for the polyflex bushes :D
For a squeek try bending your stone guard back as it might be rubbing on our discs

Hi guys i also have the same noises at the same speed if anyone finds out what it was please post the problem thanks
Fit DS2500 pads ad it will go away