clunking when braking and acelerating?

i keep getting a rather low pitched clunking noise sometimes when i pull away in first or when i brake at a slow speed i.e. if im just doing a couple of mph on the drive and then brake NOT constantly from from a steady 30mph for eg.

It sometimes does it when turning at slow speed too and i think its originating from the front right wheel area. Any ideas??? Could it be a cv joint or is that more of constant clunking noise during acceleration in all gears (or more than just 1st)?

failing that what are the main culprits, its an lcr with 44k on the clock if that may help

R@B

I Like Turbos!!!
Mar 11, 2009
Sunny Glasgow
c.v joint is constant and normally gets faster as you accelorate. On my leon cupra there is some small chucky stones trapped under the rear springs and it makes a clunk from time to time,just not been bothered to try get them out yet. It could also be the spring snapped lower down the coil as this happened on my mk2 golf.

glenryck

mine dose the same whem first moving of or reversing on the drive at walking pace just one clonk and then noting until i reverse again my mecanic mate reckons its the srings settling not sure what to do ?????:confused:

R@B

I Like Turbos!!!
Mar 11, 2009
Sunny Glasgow
Not 100% but if youve fitted lowering springs without doing the shocks this could give the spring space to have some movement due to the shorter spring.

glenryck

mine is all standard ( not for long) only had it two weeks but there are a phew little niggles to sort first like this. Wheels have been off and checked the hole car was on a ramp for three hours on saturday and we couldnt find a thing. But my mec mate said that he would start with bushes and joints etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
Certain brake pad's tend to move a little bit in the caliper, this will make a noise when changeing from forward to reverse.

karlosR

TORQUEY, NOISEY V6
Mar 10, 2006
BEDFORD
anti rollbar bushes could be on the way out, have you checked the wishbone bushes and top mounts too?

glenryck

brakes were done by previous owner 1000 miles ago so that is worth looking at and i will get roll bar bushes done first as they look a bit split perrished many thanks all good advice will let ya know what happens Cheers.

looks like im going to need to make a list here lol!

DK- that would explain a certain degree of noise i suppose but i still need to sort of the actual braking/accelating clunk, this is definately coming from the wheel too.

List

ARB Bushes (quite possible)
Wishbone bushes (possible)
Top Mounts (don't think they are the prblem but will be done soon anyway when lowering)
CV joints (from the looks of things not likely)

anything else???

the following is a list of what is available through awesome powerflex wise, now i will be upgrading suspension at some point in the fairly near future anyway. Out of the bits on the list, what would those of you in the know recommed doing at the same time which will hopefully sort this problem and what is the difference FARB mount sizes/are these essesntial.

Front Wishbone Front Bush PFF85-201 x2 (+£26.32)
Front Wishbone Rear Bush PFF85-410 x2 (+£29.62)
Front Anti Roll Bar Mount 21mm PFF85-411-21 x2 (+£21.36)
Front Anti Roll Bar Mount 23mm PFF85-411-23 x2 (+£21.36)
Front Anti Roll Bar Link Bush Kit PFF85-412 x2 (+£26.32)
Rear Beam Mounting Bush PFR85-415 x2 (+£39.52)

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Before you change suspension (if your wanting better handling and not just changing for looks) change the front wish bones bush, the rear wish bone bush and the FARB bush is the 18/19mm one.
The rear beam is good to do too but won't be cheap unless your doing it yourself/mates

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
check the brake pads are not moving, if not id wip the wheel off and and have a good look/feel and make sure everythings as it should be.... hopfully a stone will fall out:redface:

CupraMVR

Awesome GTi Technician
Oct 19, 2006
Crewe Cheshire
can you see how much Meat is left on the front pads tim ?? if they are low this can cause what D.K said as your roll forward and brake it will clunk then reverse back and brake again it will clunk again.

it could be anti roll bar drop links clunking goin over bumps.

^^ that's EXACTLY what happens with mine, and I've been worrying about it for a while. Seems like it could be the brake pads moving, as it only happens when I put it in reverse, brake, then drive forward and brake.

Cars an LCR with 44k

Cheers guys!

kilobrown

Leon cupra R
Apr 17, 2007
west- lothian scotland
hi guys i had a similar problem with my LCR a about a year ago clunk when a pulled away slowly and clunked when i stopped and again clunked from reverse to forward gear, anyway i changed my dogbone mount too a powerflex one, and all noise seamed too disapear and hasnt returned since.
might not be your problem but worth a check as i changed pads anti-roll bars and alot of other expensive parts when it turned out too be a cheap fix :)

can you see how much Meat is left on the front pads tim ?? if they are low this can cause what D.K said as your roll forward and brake it will clunk then reverse back and brake again it will clunk again.

it could be anti roll bar drop links clunking goin over bumps.

i might be inclined to think it's the brakes then after reading a few posts. I was told when the cambelt was done there is a bit of play in a droplink but it was tiny but when i had this on an older car i got the classic knocking over bumps which im not getting now :confused: so i suppose it could be this, i don't know.

Its a pain in the arse though because i don't want to be throwing money at bushes, pads and now as another suggestion, dog bone mounts unnecessarily. I appreciate at some point they will/may want doing but im hoping not to have to do them all now :(

Before you change suspension (if your wanting better handling and not just changing for looks) change the front wish bones bush, the rear wish bone bush and the FARB bush is the 18/19mm one.
The rear beam is good to do too but won't be cheap unless your doing it yourself/mates

Willie - if you read this again, what are the 23mm FARB bushes for, upgraded ARB i take it? If i'm honest i will mainly be lowering the car for looks i think, more than likely a 50mm spring n damper kit, if i am lowering more so for looks and some of the above bushes aren't nakered would you just leave them then or just do them but replace them for standard parts to save some pennies.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.