Clunky steering at low speed

joemacanbhloig

Aug 24, 2014
Exeo ST 143 2012

Since new to me at 6000 miles the steering/suspension is clunky or lumpy when manoeuvring at low speeds and at near full lock. It happens occasionally when parking in a tight space. Typically this shows as a noisy thumping from the front wheels. Six years and 125,000 miles later it is still present but has not got worse. General tyre wear over the period is not great - 18k on Goodyear asymmetrics. I have had the alignment done regularly.

I wonder has any other owner come across this or could anyone suggest either a cause or a remedy.

Otherwise the car has performed faultlessly and is comfortable and economic to drive.

XPtuning

Mar 29, 2013
I believe I had the same with my Exeo ST 1.8TSI, noticed it happened only on very smooth concrete parking flooring...but I believe it has to do with the low rev's of the engine and the power steering pump not providing sufficient oil pressure. I believe the threshold between engine rev's and judder small...may be raising the rev's a bit will solve it.
At the time I noticed it, my TSI suffered from pretty polluted intake valves and manifold, once it was all cleaned the engine ran more smooth and the judder was gone.

The beld that drives the steering pump does not slip?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise