Coil packs and EGR Valve

barry_kellett99

I have had problems of late with Coilpacks going and have had all 3 replaced, and last night another one went (Its a 1.2 3cylinder 2002 Ibiza)
Previous Diagnostics have pointed at the EGR valve being faulty also and there is a slight loss in power and a feint juddering when cruising (which could possibly be caused by the valve not working At the point where it possibly tries to recirculate the gas?) The judder and power loss goes away when you give it a little extra throttle.

I have a spare coil pack at home, the only 1 of the original 3 that didnt fail, so i can put it in to get me going again.

Has anyone had any similar problems, I've read that coil pack failure is pretty chronic in these cars but i got 60,000 miles out of my first 3 and a replacement one lasted about 3 weeks!

I am very interested to hear your experiences of the EGR valve though as my local mechanic isnt sure about splashing out on a new one when he isnt totally sure it is the source of the "judder" when all the coilpacks are fine and firing correctly.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'd think that all coil pack failures are down to poor/bad manufacture, they end up cracking and then moisture gets in and that causes HT tracking - so the damage is permanent. Where did you buy the new set of coils from? I'd hope that you would have stuck with a VAG source as any aftermarket outfit will only supply sub standard coils. The coils in my wife's Polo 1.4 are the Italian ones ELDOR - so that means not BERU. I've only replaced one with a NOS VAG one - from ebay - same build standard as the original ones - maybe not a smart idea - but they all still work (apart from the failed one). EGR valve, I thought that you could clean them out - along with all the associated pipework.

Mar 13, 2008
Suffolk
I would try replacing the coilpack first off, My mum and dads Bora 1.6 had juddering and misfiring when it was on it way out.

If its still there, It could need a good clean as they get crapped up. TBH didnt know the 1.2 had an EGR valve or maybe am justing being a spaz!.

Luke

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.