Coilovers arrived!

Grayboy

Jan 31, 2005
Beckenham
When you say "dont hammer it round corners" what do you mean?Because i love corners.Thats why i want a coilover suspension. :confused:

Same here, corners are the fun part of driving!!

am i only the only person seeing "being wound to the bump stops" an issue? ... if u hit a decent pot hole which lets face it in the UK happens surely it will bottom out straight away and blow the seal?

Don't feel ostricised, I'm with you here my car's (barring 1) have always been set up for performance over looks, Ibiza's do look amazing slammed like MK2 Golfs but after a Golf dropped 80mm on 15's wrapped in 195/45R15's it's put me off the whole dropped to the floor thing, spent way to many times of having to jump out the car & remove the front splitter to get in and out of car parks, over speed humps & cringing everytime I did a bit of spirited driving and the exhaust hitting the floor etc, you just can't drive how I like.....with gusto!!

This debate could go on forever as it's personal preferance which way you go, one way looks better the other drives better, just need to choose what you want!

sjc59

Jul 30, 2006
I've got these on the girlfriends Ibiza very good for the money bit on the firm side thou, but doesn't bother me.

Mckellar

have you ever had coilovers before?

if you have, then surely you should know the lower you the softer the suspension is, hence why i dont "hammer" it round corners, as i dont feel the need to, the highway isnt a racetrack.

Why do up your car nicely if you go too fast for people to see it, and people to comment "d1ckhead" or "boy racer"

ibiza1.4

hey, im thinking of getting these and i just want to be 100% sure, is it the shocks for the:
MK4 6N -£200 (TA Technix)

i dont wanna order the wrong ones, and also i can trust this guy with my money rite?

cheers guys

matt

Grayboy

Jan 31, 2005
Beckenham
have you ever had coilovers before?

if you have, then surely you should know the lower you the softer the suspension is, hence why i dont "hammer" it round corners, as i dont feel the need to, the highway isnt a racetrack.

Why do up your car nicely if you go too fast for people to see it, and people to comment "d1ckhead" or "boy racer"

No mate only normal spring damper suspension kit's!!

So it get's softer the lower it goes?? that just doesn't make sense to me, your compressing the damper so in turn giving it less travel to do it's job and absorb energy:confused:

You don't have to drive fast to be labeled a boy racer, thrashing a 1.0 with a massive exhaust around the high street will do that for you.
I keep my over zealous driving for late evening down quiet country roads with loads of tricky corners hence the need for suspension that can absorb bump's at speed so not unsettling the car or bouncing me into a ditch!!
I'm actually a very considerate driver whilst on the road normally who let's people out of turnings, indicates and leaves decent braking distances, I drive quickly when conditions allow but not aggresivelly, proof's in the pudding 9 years of driving (All GTI's) and not so much as a point without a Road angel or alike.

Unfortunatly this is something that I've seen get into massive slanging matches on forums which I'm not willing to do as I'm here to talk to likeminded souls about cars and share knowledge so we'll have to agree to disagree on the how we drive subject.

craig87

beeza lover!
Mar 14, 2007
well i will break this up here!!

No1 was trying to start a slaggin match they were only giving their opinion!

This forum is a friendly forum with friendly advice, stop bitchin and enjoy ya cars!!

Grayboy

Jan 31, 2005
Beckenham
well i will break this up here!!

No1 was trying to start a slaggin match they were only giving their opinion!

This forum is a friendly forum with friendly advice, stop bitchin and enjoy ya cars!!

I'm in full agreement, I did probably go on a bit there sorry :doh: it's just I've seen how quick these things can escalate into personal slanging matches over difference of opinion over silly things like, bodykit's, wheel size or what could have been here driving styles,

Just wanted to explain why I don't want to slam my car & that I only drive hard when the coast is clear:)!!

Anyway back to topic, still can't get my head round the whole the lower you go the softer the suspension??

craig87

beeza lover!
Mar 14, 2007
i couldnt get my head round either lol, well my coilovers adjust by twisting the bit below the spring, the higher you twist it up, the higher the suspension which in turn means you are putting more pressure on the spring making it harder.
To lower mine you wind the spring down therefore softening suspension!!

Hope this helps

fresh_creps

May 11, 2007
Bedfordshire
Bit off topic so sorry all,but I'm having problems finding someone to fit mine!

It seems that no-one has ever heard of coilovers and garages call them "coil-springs" instead which I'm pretty sure means they're just assuming its just separate springs??This worries me slightly with the capability of some garages,one garage even quoted me 4 hours labour for it!!Ridiculous.

Anyways just having a rant,will hopefully have them fitted soon aswell with pics to come.
Anyone happen to live near bedfordshire/hertfordshire region that could do them to speed the process up for some beer tokens would also be appreciated :D lol.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack!Cheers

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
Bit off topic so sorry all,but I'm having problems finding someone to fit mine!

It seems that no-one has ever heard of coilovers and garages call them "coil-springs" instead which I'm pretty sure means they're just assuming its just separate springs??This worries me slightly with the capability of some garages,one garage even quoted me 4 hours labour for it!!Ridiculous.

Anyways just having a rant,will hopefully have them fitted soon aswell with pics to come.
Anyone happen to live near bedfordshire/hertfordshire region that could do them to speed the process up for some beer tokens would also be appreciated :D lol.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack!Cheers

I'm pretty sure that's a pretty standard charge for fitting coilovers. Something between 100-200 quid is quite normal. I fit mine my self. At the end of the day all it is is just two nuts at the bottom in front, one on top, and one nut at the top and bottom at the back. Done :D
But get your tracking done once you're done. (about £25)

Mig

fresh_creps

May 11, 2007
Bedfordshire
Lol you make it sound so easy,but I lack the tools,know how and patience to do it,so probs best left to the professionals lol.Cheers will do man

Sep 20, 2006
Birmingham
Lol you make it sound so easy,but I lack the tools,know how and patience to do it,so probs best left to the professionals lol.Cheers will do man

Dont go to the big name places eg kwick fit etc. They will rip you off. I would say around about £100 for fitting is right. ive been quoted £20 per wheel.

Where abouts are you based?

fresh_creps

May 11, 2007
Bedfordshire
Well I live near luton,but I go to uni in northampton and I'm always staying at my mates by hemel so kinda all over the different regions.Got the car booked in to have it done on wed so hopefully all will go smoothly!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.