Cold Air Feeds - Making the best from an incident

T7ODD

I hit a pheasant and a few weeks later I washed my car and some of my grill fell out :cry: They are £43 from the dealers as you need both sides. Since I'd aquired an open cone filter I thought I may aswell make this hole bigger and make some use from it. Here's what I did...

First of all I made a template for the air funnel. Normally you wouldn't really bother doing this but as I had to get it in an exact position I thought this was the best answer. I then checked that the template was correct...

Next I offered the funnel up against the grill to see how it might look. I wasn't sure about the silver, it looked a bit chav :roll: so I sprayed it with the closest paint match I could find from memory. Before and after...

I took the template and held it in position whilst marking the area to be removed with an unamed white correction fluid :)
I needed a way of removing the plastic without risking cracking it further so my weapon of choice was a soldering iron! The photos tell the story...

My engine bay is a real pig. With an intercooler and radiator crammed into the front grill, space was an issue. I found a way through to the front but it meant squashing up the pipe and doing a couple of tight bends with the ducting. A few scraped fingers later, I got the ducting to the grill. It wasn't ideal but i tested it by blowing into the ducting and felt it come out the other end no problem. Because of the depth issue I had to cut most of the length from the funnel. I cable tied the ducting pipe to the front grill by piercing small holes in the pipe on both sides. I then routed the ducting to the air filter and is held in place by the battery (which I moved slightly) and also the oil breather filter which I cable tied in a new position above it. I also had some 70mm ducting which I cable tied next to the filter and routed it down the wing and secured it down at road level to scoop plenty of air...

The finished item with relocated badge...

It's better than the hole that was there before and now serves a purpose but I'm not sure if I'm totally happy about how much the funnel sticks out from the grill. I might experiment on the spare funnel to reduce it's depth.

gavthelad

Bring on the Boooooost
Nov 19, 2005
Redditch (Midlands)
Nice one......it definately looks better than the original silver finish!! I'd be tempted to put some sort of gauze/mesh over the air feed at bumper level.....everything and its dog will be going into your engine bay otherwise.

T7ODD

Looks good mate. Didnt you have a dynatwist filter before? What make is your stainless cone filter?

I did, I just fancied a change plus I like the look of a mesh filter in the engine bay. It's a Simota filter (basically a copy of a Blitz filter).
I bought the polished pipe separately. It was a 30 degree bend which i cut in the appropriate places for the best fit. I'm just waiting to weld a bracket onto it for perfect fitment.

May 2, 2006
looking at it from the front i like it alot, looks spot on, cant see how much it sticks out tho, (or im blind) if it sticks out i would try and get it flush with the rest of your grill, good job though mate, well done :D

Havok316

Boost Junky
Jun 6, 2006
Weston-super-Mare
nice job..only worry is (as ive read loads of times) if water gets into the induction system wont the ECU throw a fit? One thing i noticed on my ibiza is water trail marks along the bonnet so technically wouldnt the way you've installed the air feed suck in water as your moving?

T7ODD

if your careful you could recess the honeycomb grill for it to fit flush..

That sounds a bit beyond my capabilities lol but nice idea. I think sticking out as far as the Cupra badge will be fine.

The ducting pipes aren't plumbed directly to the induction system so I'd have thought the risk of the filter getting wet is minimal. Next time it pours down I'll take it out at high speed and check it when I get back. :funk:

Molehill_Mike

Rollin' on 20s
Jan 3, 2005
Bedfordshire
That sounds a bit beyond my capabilities lol but nice idea. I think sticking out as far as the Cupra badge will be fine.

The ducting pipes aren't plumbed directly to the induction system so I'd have thought the risk of the filter getting wet is minimal. Next time it pours down I'll take it out at high speed and check it when I get back. :funk:

Errrm.... :doh:

lol

T7ODD

Guess what... I went out and it was raining quite hard :lol:
I took it on a couple of 80, I mean 70mph, runs. After about 15 mins of driving I pulled into my car port and checked it out. The charge pipe and engine were hot but the air filter and induction pipe were much colder that atmospheric temperature...ummm fridge cold. There were some drops of moisture on the intake pipe intself and on the outside of the ducting hose but that looked like it blew in through the front grill. Luckily the filter is tucked behind the battery and was bone dry along with the inside of the ducting pipes next to the filter. I must have enough bends for the moisture to get stuck in the ridges of the ducting.

T7ODD

Just an update. I decided the funnel stuk out too far so I marked up the spare funnel approximately where the yellow line is in the photo below and cut it with a hacksaw. I thought I'd need a dremel tool or something but I managed it with a hacksaw.

After spraying it once more to match the grill, here it is in place. Much better fit and only sticks out as far as the badge and grill lip. I'm pleased with it anyway.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.